Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Links below are for specific properties:

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Guanacaste
Los Suenos Marriott
Hotel Punta Islita Autograph Collection
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2004, 7:48 am

Programs: AAPlatinum,ICPlatinum,MRPlatinum
There is a big difference in these hotels

I was faotunate enough to stay at each of these properties last month and there are some major differences. Upon my arrival in San Jose I stayed one night at the Marriott Cost Rica before traveling west to the beach in Herradura. I then took advantage of a stay three get one free at the Marriott Los Suenos Resort. The night before my flight back to Miami we stayed at the Courtyard outside of the city.
The Marriott Cost Rica is first class in every way and the Los Suenos resort is incomparable for ambiance, service and amenities. Before we left we were greeted by our names and seeming given special treatment. Best table to view the sunset, super attention at the pool for refreshments, et. The Courtyard is a bit out of the way and there is nothing much around it. A new shopping center with numerous restaurants is within walking distance, but not much else.
One note, the trip to Los Suenos is about a three hour drive from San Jose, but is well, well worth the trip. There are a few interesting sites along the way as well...
In closing, all hotels are nice and "American" style service is the norm.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
I'll be staying at both Marriott's in Dec and let you know more details.

From what i've heard they are exactly what the previous post mentioned, so i'm sure my experience will be similar.

I'll also post some of my travels during the trip.

tasnam
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by liveon777
Headed there SuperBowl weekend, but no idea where to stay.
Any good insights?

Thanks
You are not telling us much about what you intend to do in CR, so I can't really give a good response. I know the country very well, and am a dual national USA-CR by parentage. One of our old family homes is now a B&B [Hotel Don Carlos] as well as one of the old homes of a relatives [Hotel Milvia]. Are you intending to stay on the Meseta or are you headed to the beaches?

Z
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:24 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Sorry, guess I was a bit vague. I think the plan is to enjoy the beach and hopefully sneak a little golf in while we're there.
I really know very little about Costa Rica and am going on the advice of a friend who spent some time there about 5 years ago.
The plan is to fly into San Jose and go from there (rental car).
Old Nov 29, 2004, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by liveon777
Sorry, guess I was a bit vague. I think the plan is to enjoy the beach and hopefully sneak a little golf in while we're there.
I really know very little about Costa Rica and am going on the advice of a friend who spent some time there about 5 years ago.
The plan is to fly into San Jose and go from there (rental car).
Well I don't go to CR as a tourist, since I have family there, etc. So if you are looking for beaches and golf, you should get a guide book. But look, you can do beaches and golf anywhere. Here's a few thoughts for you though.

1. If you surf, the world longest left curl is found on the Pacific. Jaco beach if I recall, or in that area.
2. If you'd like to see a volcano with the peak glowing of lava at night, then visit Arenal volcano, and the adjacent lake. There are plenty of resorts around there for relaxing, but I don't think there are golf courses. If you want golf, try the Cariari in San Jose.
3. You can pick any of the cloud forests to take a triple canopy rope bridge tour. These are really cool.
4. If you are into whitewater rafting, try the Reventazon river in the Turrialba area.
5. If you are into coffee, there are several plantations in the Heredia area that offer tours. The Cafe Britt tour I hear is quite interesting.
6. I would suggest a B&B instead of the Marriott. These are very nice and give you a feel for the country and the people. You can PM me for names. One of our old family homes is now a B&B.
7. If you want to see what Costa Rica was like before commercialization I would visit the small city of Grecia, and the small town of Zarcero. These are treasures.
8. The world's best tarpon fishing is found in CR. The marlin is pretty good also.

Z

Last edited by Zarcero; Nov 29, 2004 at 7:04 pm
Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:59 pm

Zarcero,

I will be at the Marriott Los Suenos in three days (Dec 7th).

What activites would you recommend (or avoid) that would be within...say 1-1/2 hours? (Meaning day drive activities only)

Tasnam
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tasnam
Zarcero,

I will be at the Marriott Los Suenos in three days (Dec 7th).

What activites would you recommend (or avoid) that would be within...say 1-1/2 hours? (Meaning day drive activities only)

Tasnam
Tasnam,

See the link: click here.

Have fun!

Z
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Zarcero
Tasnam,

See the link: click here.

Have fun!

Z
Are you involved in this company? If so I have a few questions.

Or are you just sending this link for informative purposes?

Tasnam
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tasnam
Are you involved in this company? If so I have a few questions.

Or are you just sending this link for informative purposes?

Tasnam
Just sending the link for information purposes. I have nothing to do with the travel industry. I am in the oil and gas business and have a consulting firm that engages in such, based out of Houston. Currently I am in Jakarta. The Costa Rica connection is a family one, I am a dual national of the US and Costa Rica. We are from an old family there, and many of us are dual nationals, and US educated.

As I mentioned before, I am happy to answer questions about CR, but when I am in Costa Rica I am not there as a tourist, so tourist type questions are best directed to sites such as the link, or to those who frequent the place as tourists.

I would recommend to anyone that they spend some time on the Meseta Central, so that they can actually get a feel for the culture and the everday-living type stuff. It is an interesting place. The current politics are absolutely scandalous, if you have been keeping tabs on it. If you speak Spanish see La Nacion. For English try Tico Times.

In any case, have a great time in Costa Rica!

Cheers,

Z
Old Dec 19, 2004, 5:11 pm

I posted my Costa Rica trip info in the trip reports section for all to see.

Tasnam
Old Jan 28, 2005, 1:08 pm

need info- Courtyard San Jose Costa Rica

Hello,

Anybody ever stay at the COURTYARD in San Jose, Cost Rica? Would like to know what it's like & how far from city center etc. The Map option is unavailable at www.marriott.com Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:15 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
It is out in the suburbs, about 4-7 miles from downtown. That's a guess as I was in a taxi and there was a lot of rush hour traffic. With a bad traffic jam on Friday it took a half hour. There is a nice little shopping center next to it with a half dozen restaurants. They have a shuttle to the airport. HS wired internet is free, just ask for it when you check in so they can give you the hardware kit.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
We stayed at the San Jose Courtyard last August for a night. The breakfast buffet was outstanding! It is a few minutes from downtown and depending on traffic it could take 15-20 minutes to get there.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:48 am

Programs: UA PremEx
I stayed there a couple nights about 2 yrs ago. I can't speak to city proximity because I was using it as a launching point for other activities. But, I really liked the place. I Didn't spend much time actually at the hotel as both times I got in pretty late and had to leave early in the morning. However, I thought the people were great and friendly. The place was new and clean. And overall it looked felt much nicer than any Courtyard I had ever stayed in before. In fact much better than many FS Marriotts I have stayed in.

But if you can stay in the FS Marriott in San Jose it is even better. I only stayed there 1 night, but I loved that place. Comfortable, nice landscape/surroundings, nice pool/hot tub area.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:32 am

thanks

thanks for all the information.
I plan on using it as a launching point too. Will spend my first night there & then explore the counrty. Seeing San Jose will be left for the end of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.