Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Links below are for specific properties:

El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
JW Marriott Guanacaste
Los Suenos Marriott
Hotel Punta Islita Autograph Collection
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Costa Rica

Old Dec 12, 2001, 7:24 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Is this Marriott on or near the ocean?
Old Dec 13, 2001, 2:04 pm

This Marriott is on the Pacific ocean. The ocean is not much to speak of there but the pool at the hotel makes up for it.
Old Dec 19, 2001, 5:49 am

Thank Tonto -- Very helpful.

Couple more questions though.

1)Do you remember how expensive a cab was from the airport to the hotel?

2)Any recommendations on what rooms to ask for. If the ocean isn't much to speak of there, is it better to get something looking out on the pool or golf course?

Thanks again

Old Dec 20, 2001, 12:10 pm

I think the taxi was about $60 u.s but I am not positive. In regards to the room, request an ocean view, top floor. The ocean is nice to look at, I just would not go swimming in it (lack of sewage facilities from the town down the beach). But isn't this why we travel to other countries?
Old Dec 20, 2001, 2:42 pm

I took my family there for a free week in August. I agree with most of whats been said.

However, we swam in the ocean and had no problems. The US Abassador to Costa Rica was swimming there too. It turns out Sen. Leiberman was staying there too.

Depending on how adventurous you are, I would recommend renting a 4WD for your entire stay. There are several wildlife preserves and national parks that you can visit from there. Manual Antonio park is a couple of hours down the coast and is definately worth a visit. You can do it in a day if you start early in the morning. We saw 2 types of monkeys, sloths, birds, coatis, and much, much more. Bring a bathing suit and use one of the beaches.

There is also the Carera Nature Reserve about 1/2 hour back towards San Jose. We saw monkeys, coatis, scarlet mccaws and a snake.

There is a highway bridge over the Tarcoles River near Carera where you can safely view a couple of dozen crocodiles in the river below.

I didn't do the same canopy tour as Tonto, but I recommend them also. Just be aware that the cables are likely to be VERY high above the ground and there is no turning back after you start. Our canopy tour also included a 200 foot high platform that we had to rappel down from.

If you have more time to spend in Costa Rica, you could go to Fortuna and see the active Arenal volcano. You can stay near the base and watch lava tumble down the side periodically all night. Allow several nights if you want to be sure to get a clear night -- although January should be much better that August.

January should also be a good time to visit Tamarindo and the giant turtles that lay eggs on nearby beach.

While at Los Suenos, we ate in town every night. There is a great Italian restaurant in Jaco (I can't rememebr the name right now). My kids loved it and used the pool table while we waited for our orders.

If you do rent a car and eat in town, be careful driving back to the resort. There is a cop that sets up an alcohol checkpoint almost every night. He pulls over people at random and gives them a breath test (I passed!).

If you need to spend a night near the airport, there is a good Hampton Inn nearby.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I will second the recommendation that you go mobile with a 4WD, but warn you that some of the roads even in tourist areas are just horrifically bad - linear rock piles. Yet the country's attractions - Monteverde, Arenal, Manuel Antonio Park - are worth the effort. (Roads from San Jose airport to Los Suenos are fine.)

There is a broad range of 4WD vehicles available, some just toyishly small. Spend a little more $$ for ride comfort as well as room.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 4:19 pm

Location: San Diego CA USA MarrPlat; AAPlat; AmWestGoldElite; HyattGold; StarwoodGold;
Looking for advice on Costa Rican properties

Considering honeymoon in May 2003 in Costa Rica travelling on MR points. We'd like to be near the water, so it looks like Los Suenos Resort is the closest. Any advice from my fellow FTer's? I am an MR Plat, so I'd also like to know about upgrade possibilities.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 9:25 am

Check the archives. A number of flyertalks have stayed there and have posted (myself included).
Old Jan 12, 2003, 12:28 am

Marriott Costa Rica

We have been thinking about a winter break vacation at Los Suenos Marriott resort in Costa Rica next year. It looks beautiful. Has anyone here visited this resort and care to comment on the experience?

------------------
Old Jan 12, 2003, 3:49 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I also have questions about this property. It appears to be adjacent to the ocean, but is it oceanfront, and is there a decent beach?
Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:58 am
Original Poster

STAYED AT LOS SUENOS IN FE.2001...NICE RESORT ON THE OCEAN,HOWEVER,BEACH IS NOT GREAT,NOT IDEAL FOR SWIMMING,HOWEVER,POOL AREA IS VERY NICE
Old Feb 14, 2003, 8:02 am
Original Member

Los Suenos and Costa Rica Marriotts

Using up some LP/GlobalPass miles with a family vacation for the four of us, my wife and two teenagers with me, to Costa Rica in April. Considering staying at one or both of the Costa Rica Marriott outside of San Jose, or the Los Suenos resort on the Pacific.

For anyone who has stayed there, will the rooms with two queen or double beds be large enough for another rollaway? (Our teenagers won't want to share a bed at 16 and 14.)

Any other thoughts on these properties? I can use up some MR points for stays at each, to make this a pretty cheap vacation for air and hotel, so that we can spend more on food, tours to the volcano, white water rafting, etc. Thanks for any thoughts about either hotel or the location itself.

Djlawman
Old Feb 15, 2003, 11:29 pm

The San Jose Marriott is a fairly decent property, with a mini-golf-course, an OK restaurant - However, I doubt that you'll find four persons in a room very comfortable, Unless you opt for a suite and ask for a roll-on bed.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 12:25 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Is the Los Suenos property on the beach? If so, how is the beach?
Old Feb 19, 2003, 12:59 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
I've not stayed at the Marriott Los Suenos, but a colleague stayed there a couple of months ago. While he said the property was lovely, he was less effusive about the beach and that seems to jibe with the comments in the books.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.