Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Harbor Beach Resort - Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Marriott Harbor Beach Resort - Fort Lauderdale, FL [Master Thread]

Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
You can negotiate a discounted upgrade to a suite. Those of you in your party who are over 18 can get free access to the spa. They have a private saline pool there with better drinks and food than the main pool.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:43 pm

Platinum upgrade at Marriott Harbor Beach FLL

I will be at the Marriott Harbor Beach in Ft. Lauderdale 8/23-8/26. I have platinum status. Right now there appears to be a lot of availability. My question is should I pay for an ocean view room or do you think they will offer me an upgrade for free? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Room Upgrade
For Platinum Elite members the best way is up! So every time you check in, we'll do our best to upgrade you to a premium room - at no additional charge for your entire stay. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, subject to availability identified by each hotel.
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi

so, hit and miss, but good luck............

Originally Posted by dbooth
I will be at the Marriott Harbor Beach in Ft. Lauderdale 8/23-8/26. I have platinum status. Right now there appears to be a lot of availability. My question is should I pay for an ocean view room or do you think they will offer me an upgrade for free? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:02 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
It's been a couple of years since I last stayed there, but for most of my stays in the past, I was upgraded to an ocean view room with a balcony. I don't think I have ever been upgraded to a suite here though.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Depends on how disappointed you (or others traveling with you) will be if you are not in an ocean view room. Just because they're showing availability on line doesn't mean anything since your stay is a couple of weeks away. You could always wait and see if your reservation shows an upgrade a few days before arrival. Some hotels are better than others about doing upgrades in advance.

Regards,

RIP..
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:49 am

I was upgraded to a suite last fall. I sent a note (via the online concierge) saying that size of room was much more important to me than view (I was traveling with kids). They put us in a suite and the weekend was perfect.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
I got an upgrade to a ocean view as a gold on a one night stay back in January. Seems like an elite-friendly location where you'll get the upgrade if it's available.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: MR PP/Ambassador, Amex Explat, Hertz PC
I stayed there once for one night (a saturday night) on points - I was platinum and without me even asking, they upgraded me to the presidential suite (which I believe Bill Marriott stays at when he is there ;-)) - it has a treadmill in it...
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
I have stayed there twice as a plat.
Once upgraded to ocean view balcony suite
Once highest floor ocean view.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
I am at the Harbor Beach now, and I did not get an upgrade. In fact I have stayed here at least once every year since 1986 and sometimes up to three times a year, always for more than 4 nights each stay.

I only once have got a suite, the Windjammer, which was quite nice but not one of the corner ones which I would love to see.

I generally prefer the Pool/Ocean View rooms which are on the side of the hotel as you can see the Beach, Pool area, and get a great view of the Ships leaving Port Everglades from your balcony. The Ocean View rooms in my opinion have a less interesting view of just the water.

In the past Elites were offered breakfast but this was taken away long ago. Then up to this stay they gave you some cards for free movies/internet/spa access and appetisers in the Sea Level Restaurant. This time I got nothing.

So aside of the 500 bonus points I have had no Elite benefits at this Hotel for this stay. And I was upset to hear the people next to me at check-in discussing a previously arranged upgrade to a suite (ok, I have no idea of the circumstances so I should not be upset, but I was anyway!).

It is a lovely resort Hotel, and I will continue to come back. Will I complain about the lack of benefits, you bet. More than 25 years loyalty at this hotel and they can't even offer you a breakfast voucher (and the rate is $300 a night plus $25 a day for parking!).

It is time Marriott listened to us and did something about the silly inconsistent breakfast issue. (Rant over)

Oh, do not expect to get any special treatment as an Elite member and you will have a great time at this hotel!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by markzz2
I am at the Harbor Beach now, and I did not get an upgrade. In fact I have stayed here at least once every year since 1986 and sometimes up to three times a year, always for more than 4 nights each stay.

I only once have got a suite, the Windjammer, which was quite nice but not one of the corner ones which I would love to see.

I generally prefer the Pool/Ocean View rooms which are on the side of the hotel as you can see the Beach, Pool area, and get a great view of the Ships leaving Port Everglades from your balcony. The Ocean View rooms in my opinion have a less interesting view of just the water.

In the past Elites were offered breakfast but this was taken away long ago. Then up to this stay they gave you some cards for free movies/internet/spa access and appetisers in the Sea Level Restaurant. This time I got nothing.

So aside of the 500 bonus points I have had no Elite benefits at this Hotel for this stay. And I was upset to hear the people next to me at check-in discussing a previously arranged upgrade to a suite (ok, I have no idea of the circumstances so I should not be upset, but I was anyway!).

It is a lovely resort Hotel, and I will continue to come back. Will I complain about the lack of benefits, you bet. More than 25 years loyalty at this hotel and they can't even offer you a breakfast voucher (and the rate is $300 a night plus $25 a day for parking!).

It is time Marriott listened to us and did something about the silly inconsistent breakfast issue. (Rant over)

Oh, do not expect to get any special treatment as an Elite member and you will have a great time at this hotel!
As I mentioned in a previous post, I got a great upgrade and nice note from the reservations manager by sending an email in advance.

While I'm not a big breakfast guy, I recognize I'm in the minority. That said, the policy (whether we like it or not) is very clear - it's not inconsistent. The only inconsistent part is whether certain resorts choose to offer a benefit that is not within the parameters of the Rewards program.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I was here last year and because I wanted the ocean view for my wife, I ended up paying extra for the upgrade. No suite though and no breakfast either. But did get the free movie, snacks, 20% off at stores in hotel.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
For an international traveller it is inconsistent:

Within the US breakfast weekdays in the lounge, lounges closed weekends so no breakfast.

Europe weekdays breakfast in the lounge, but in weekends guaranteed breakfast in the restaurant (unless the lounge is open)

Everywhere else in the world, breakfast included except resorts (although most resorts I have stayed in in Asia include breakfast).

Pretty confusing.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
what's confusing.................

In the US/Canada............... outside the US/Canada......... and an overall disclaimer for resorts worldwide............

Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Breakfast
Help yourself to light snacks, beverages and complimentary continental breakfast in our Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge at participating JW Marriott Hotels, the Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels and Marriott Hotels & Resorts. If your hotel doesnt have a Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge, we invite you to enjoy complimentary continental breakfast on your weekday stays. Outside the U.S. and Canada, you are entitled to continental breakfast 7 days a week. (Not available at resort locations.)
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/memb...ts/platinum.mi

Originally Posted by markzz2
For an international traveller it is inconsistent:

Within the US breakfast weekdays in the lounge, lounges closed weekends so no breakfast.

Europe weekdays breakfast in the lounge, but in weekends guaranteed breakfast in the restaurant (unless the lounge is open)

Everywhere else in the world, breakfast included except resorts (although most resorts I have stayed in in Asia include breakfast).

Pretty confusing.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
what's confusing.................

In the US/Canada............... outside the US/Canada......... and an overall disclaimer for resorts worldwide............

Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Breakfast
Help yourself to light snacks, beverages and complimentary continental breakfast in our Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge at participating JW Marriott Hotels, the Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels and Marriott Hotels & Resorts. If your hotel doesn’t have a Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge, we invite you to enjoy complimentary continental breakfast on your weekday stays. Outside the U.S. and Canada, you are entitled to continental breakfast 7 days a week. (Not available at resort locations.)
http://www.marriott.com/rewards/memb...ts/platinum.mi
Not to belabor the point or hijack this thread, but the paragraph you quoted IS confusing...it implies that at US and Canadian Marriott Hotels & Resorts, you will be offered breakfast on weekday stays...and it does not address a hotel which has a lounge but is CLOSED on weekends...and the word 'participating' is vague and intentionally unclear to the member....and the caveat 'not available at resort locations' seems to be part of the exclusions for locations outside the US and Canada....

so yes, as a member who is one year shy of Lifetime Platinum with Marriott, it confuses ME. I am certain it baffles others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.