Which Hotel in GDL?

Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG-Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat
Which Hotel in GDL?

I am headed to GDL for 2 nights in late April 2019 and writing to see if anyone has any comments on recent stays at the Aloft, AC Hotel and/or Westin Guadalajara.

The rates are about the same on the days I am travelling for all three properties.

As a former SPG person, the Marriott points seem ominous, and worthless, so a Platinum amenity of 1000 points at the Westin versus 500 points at the Aloft or AC Hotel sounds more enticing, (how sad.)

Only one hotel has a pool, the AC Hotel, but it that worth it? I will try use a pool if its there, but if is trashy or just for dunking and amongst people drinking at a bar watching me maybe not. (Stayed at an AC Hotel in Kansas City recently and while minimalist, it was cute with a great bar, a neighborhood gem to the KCI community of Westport Rd.)

Interested in anyone feedback on location, airport accessibility (plan to use UBER,) and location of the properties. The ALOFT and AC Hotel are close to one another and the Westin looks to be in a convention center area. I am planning to walk all over, my way to visit a city and get a glimpse of what is might be like and get its vibe.

I visited Guadalajara once before, about 10 years ago, and liked the city and its people. On a 4:00AM taxi ride to the airport back then, in my broken Spanish I answered the taxi drivers questions about my experience in his city versus Mexico City. He was hoping I liked Guadalajara more. Similar experiences in restaurants during my visit. Everyone was hoping I was having a good time.

Thanks in advance for any comments and reflections that you may wish to share.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
There are threads on these properties...

Quick overview, with my ranking having stayed at all four properties.

1. Casa Habita (formerly Casa Fayette)
2. AC
3. Westin
4. Aloft
5. AC Expo

The larger AC here is fairly good with the pool not usually very busy and two blocks from excellent restaurants.
The Aloft is a club on weekends in the pool area and noise is an issue as the building was poorly constructed. Noise from bars across the street as well.
The Westin is perfectly fine but I do not love the location and the service is very hit and miss.
Casa Habita formerly Casa Fayette...love/hate feelings. The staff can be great, pool is small but works. The location is good, with lots of restaurants/bars nearby.
AC Expo is attached to the oldest outdoor mall in the city which is a plus and minus.

Uber from GDL can be an issue, so be subtle during pick-up to avoid any issues with the police and the taxistas.

Enjoy Guadaljara!
rosscali likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:37 pm
mjz

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum
JW Marriott or Westin

This seems to be a pretty quiet thread. Curious if anyone has any recent experiences at the Westin or the new JW Marriott? I'm leaning towards the JW Marriott, but the Westin is $100 cheaper per night.
ijkh likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.