Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel (Orchard Road) [Master Thread]

Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

for a non-foodie who is also cheap then the Ren JB should be purrrfect for you as it's cheap (in so many ways), but why then you would pick Singapore to explore since it's one of the most expensive cities in SE Asia to explore is beyond me, but not my choice, buy yours'.

and the bus from SIN to JB Sentral should be just your style.

hope you get what you're looking for.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm not a foodie. And I'm cheap!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As mentioned you can have a great variety of food at the hawker stands for around $5US.

Or if you're really cheap then why go to the Marriott? Just get a 'hotel' room or stay at a hostel in one of the places in the Geylang district for $35/nt.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
This place is a pit. It is not up to the same standards as other Asian Marriotts where I have previously stayed.

The carpet in my room has giant stains. They appear to be wine stains. They could be anything. The one they they shouldn't be is on the floor in my room. Gross.

It's been awhile, but yep, its a feather free room rant. It wasn't done, they said it was, which happens. It's what happened next that was bad. I sat in the hallway that passes for a CL waiting for it to be corrected. The gentleman from the front desk came up and explained why I was wrong, the pillows were just soft. I explained the tag said "Feather" so he said they would change everything out. Twenty minutes later, when it was supposedly done, I went back to the room and sure enough, the same pillow was right where I left it, with the tag exposed. The FDC then said he trusted the housekeeper, which was different than what he told me earlier. He should have checked when I told him the tag said "Feather" but he chose to be lazy and to lie. Inexcusable.

The air conditioning has been on high for two hours and the room is still warm. There are no portable suitcase stands, just the ones built into the closet. For the cost, this hotel should be trying to be at least decent. What a disappointment.

Last edited by CJKatl; Dec 6, 2015 at 11:59 pm
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:42 am
Suspended

the purpose of this and other threads is to post the pros and cons of the properties we've stayed out.

I've posted that wife & I go to Singapore yearly (last 13-years), not only to shop but to dine at Jumbos and that all of our stays have been at the Conrad except for one stay about 3/4 years ago after this prop refurbed but found it still a dump (and have returned to our yearly stays at the Conrad, but if you don't want to read recommendations prior to arrival and stay here "just becauise it's a Marriott" then you might have learned a lesson in listening to prior guests opinions the hard way.

For me, no sympathy for staying at "the pits" as I knew this for years.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
This place is a pit. It is not up to the same standards as other Asian Marriotts where I have previously stayed.

The carpet in my room has giant stains. They appear to be wine stains. They could be anything. The one they they shouldn't be is on the floor in my room. Gross.

It's been awhile, but yep, its a feather free room rant. It wasn't done, they said it was, which happens. It's what happened next that was bad. I sat in the hallway that passes for a CL waiting for it to be corrected. The gentleman from the front desk came up and explained why I was wrong, the pillows were just soft. I explained the tag said "Feather" so he said they would change everything out. Twenty minutes later, when it was supposedly done, I went back to the room and sure enough, the same pillow was right where I left it, with the tag exposed. The FDC then said he trusted the housekeeper, which was different than what he told me earlier. He should have checked when I told him the tag said "Feather" but he chose to be lazy and to lie. Inexcusable.

The air conditioning has been on high for two hours and the room is still warm. There are no portable suitcase stands, just the ones built into the closet. For the cost, this hotel should be trying to be at least decent. What a disappointment.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by leeky
For me, no sympathy for staying at "the pits" as I knew this for years.
Lesson learned.

The hotel manager has been bending over backwards to try to make up for this. He walked me to the train and made sure I understood how to purchase the ticket and make sense of the map, which was very nice. They've put rugs on top of the worst stains - after offering to move my room and trying to clean up the mess, both of which I declined because it's only one night, I've wasted enough time and the idea of breathing cleaning chemicals all night was worse than stepping on what's likely just wine spills.

Time for a nap, and then dinner.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:10 am
Suspended

their Resident Manager, Dieter R., tries his best but there's just so much one can do with superglue !
(and then there's an owner who won't spend the necessary amount of money to perform a proper renovation, but instead relies on the past when the property WAS a star to bring back guests on its former reputation)

our next trip to Singapore is already booked for August (Conrad & Jumbos, naturally), before heading down to Yogyjakarta and then returning via Kuala Lumpur).

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Lesson learned.

The hotel manager has been bending over backwards to try to make up for this. He walked me to the train and made sure I understood how to purchase the ticket and make sense of the map, which was very nice. They've put rugs on top of the worst stains - after offering to move my room and trying to clean up the mess, both of which I declined because it's only one night, I've wasted enough time and the idea of breathing cleaning chemicals all night was worse than stepping on what's likely just wine spills.

Time for a nap, and then dinner.

Last edited by leeky; Dec 7, 2015 at 3:34 am
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
Hi,
Can anyone comment on the renovation that was done in 2013 with regard to the rooms? My last stay here was about 4 years ago and I remember not being too impressed and it was a little bit pricey.

I was recently in Singapore and stayed at the Intercontinental. Wow was I impressed! It was much nicer than I remember the Marriott being. However as a Plat I get the additional benefits at Marriott. I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the Marriott rooms that has stayed both before and after the renovation? Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
So I will respond to my own question. My original plan was to stay here a night and then move to the Intercontinental (who offered me free breakfast). I ended up staying at the Marriott mostly because of the Megabonus promotion and I felt it was a better use of points to extend my stay here than using my IHG points at the Intercontinental.

It indeed has been upgraded yet the CL is currently being upgraded so that was closed on the 27th floor . Bathroom and room definitely seemed a bit more modern. As a Plat, I was provided access to the temporary CL on the 2nd floor as well as breakfast at the main restaurant.

The breakfast at the main restaurant was pretty awesome:
- Omelet station which served eggs Benedict which were also fresh hot!
- Freshly cut prosciutto from a leg at a station
- fresh juice bar
- American style bacon cooked crispy. After staying in 3 other countries on this trip, this was greatly appreciated
- For my platinum arrival gift I received a mix of chicken, beef, and lamb satay as well as a bottle of wine.

I would still say the room was nicer at the Intercontinental but because of my Plat benefits it made it worthwhile staying here.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I never stay at this hotel myself but I visited friends few time. My impression the room was rather small and some room has avert awkward shape due to building design.

I guess the main advantage of this hotel is the location. It is at the hard of Orchard Road and literally above Orchard station with Tang stores just next door.

I guess this what make the hotel can sell at rather high rate.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:20 am
Suspended

this hotels location may be OK if one is only going shopping along Orchard Road, but there's more to Singapore then just shopping on Orchard and a slew of hotels much better then this dilapidated property, and using SMRT is so easy that staying elsewhere is recommended (and I've tried the Hyatt, Fairmont, Hilton, Concorde/Meridien & Conrad and would, and personally will, opt for the Conrad on my next return in Aug).

Originally Posted by lingua101
I never stay at this hotel myself but I visited friends few time. My impression the room was rather small and some room has avert awkward shape due to building design.

I guess the main advantage of this hotel is the location. It is at the hard of Orchard Road and literally above Orchard station with Tang stores just next door.

I guess this what make the hotel can sell at rather high rate.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I stayed last year and didn't find the property dilapidated, nor did I find the shape of the rooms problematic. In fact I thought the non-90deg angles added an interesting touch.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
I stayed last year and didn't find the property dilapidated, nor did I find the shape of the rooms problematic. In fact I thought the non-90deg angles added an interesting touch.
This likely differs depending on the room. The room I was given was very small, due to the strange angles, and had a view of nothing but the exterior wall of the tall building next door. The bathroom was very small, with little counter space near the sink for toiletries. There was a cheap metal rolling cart for the towels.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Well I suppose there's a reason it's a Marriott and not a JW, even in a market that would seem to support and warrant one.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Sounds like the exec lounge renovation is complete.

http://www.traveldailynews.asia/news...ng-plaza-hotel

As of 16 February 2016, Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza Hotel has unveiled its newly renovated Executive Lounge.

The newly refurbished Executive Lounge exudes the very best in contemporary comforts.

- A chic interior design with modern designer furnishings and bold hues of cream, green and brown. Guests may marvel at breathtaking panoramic views of Orchard Road through the Executive Lounge's expansive windows.
- The Lounge boasts a seating capacity of over 90 guests amidst an expanded space of 2888 square feet. There are open communal meeting, dining and social areas, neatly juxtapositioned close to individual spaces.
- Enhanced entertainment experiences with advanced technologies including a 79-inch and three 55-inch LED televisions.
- An open concept Chef's Pantry, in which guests are able to engage with our chefs and a bar for evening cocktails where guests can help themselves to a glass of chilled wine from the Enomatic dispenser.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
stayed there years ago on priceline when I got very good prices, nowadays I usually prefer the Conrad (acceptable prices for club rooms for singapore), the Pan Pacific or the Shangri-La.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.