Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

LNF for newbies (that's Marriott's version of BRG)

LNF for newbies (that's Marriott's version of BRG)

Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Here is one I've not run across before.

Marriott site has package rate for $xxx with F&B credit. Said package rate is lower than the BAR and does not show up on the front page when you do a search. It only shows up under packages.

Competing site has the same package rate available of $xxx but no add-ons.

Marriott denied the LNF because they offer the same rate as competing site, but Marriott offers it in a package which is strictly listed under the inclusions on the LNF page.

Is this a valid denial? Comparing Marriott BAR with no inclusions to 3rd party site with no inclusions 3rd party is lower.
No if I were you I'd book the lowest BAR rate and tell them that according to the T&C only room rate and breakfast can be compared. Therefore they can't deny you with a package rate.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
No if I were you I'd book the lowest BAR rate and tell them that according to the T&C only room rate and breakfast can be compared. Therefore they can't deny you with a package rate.
I actually did that and got this response:

"Package amenities are not required to be used. The process is based upon Marriott's publicly lowest available price. The third party price was not lower than Marriott's. I do apologize but the claim is unable to be approved."

I don't know if I just got a bad agent or if the rules have changed. I'm thinking I may re-submit and see what happens, but this agent was very rigid. I believe that this is an invalid denial, but arguing about it won't help.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually did that and got this response:

"Package amenities are not required to be used. The process is based upon Marriott's publicly lowest available price. The third party price was not lower than Marriott's. I do apologize but the claim is unable to be approved."

I don't know if I just got a bad agent or if the rules have changed. I'm thinking I may re-submit and see what happens, but this agent was very rigid. I believe that this is an invalid denial, but arguing about it won't help.
I'd wait a couple of days and then re-file the claim. Good luck!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Filed again and got same result from different agent using different wording.

"According to the Terms and Conditions of Marriott's Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee, when multiple rates for the same hotel, reservation dates, and room type are displayed on a Marriott web site, you must reserve the lowest rate to be eligible for the guarantee. According to our review, we have determined that, along with the nightly room rate you confirmed, the following offer was available via Marriott's web site: Package rate with F&B credit."

In the past Marriott has used this excuse to deny 3rd party sites which state things like "resort fee included" as an out because it includes more than breakfast. This time it's the Marriott site that includes more and they want to impose their rate to deny a valid claim. It seems like Marriott is writing its own rules here...........

Basically Marriott is trying to override #2 in the T&C with #5

Did Marriott just find a loophole for them to use to deny LNF's or are these agents not understanding that the package rates shouldn't be considered?

Last edited by chicaloca453; Dec 5, 2015 at 1:49 am
Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:23 am
Suspended

you only reference, but without a location, these so called Rule #2 & #5 so no way to actually note them but in the past any rate which included more then breakfast was flat out rejected so any F&B credit goes beyond breakfast which would be totally different then previous ways/means to deny claims.

Filed again and got same result from different agent using different wording.

"According to the Terms and Conditions of Marriott's Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee, when multiple rates for the same hotel, reservation dates, and room type are displayed on a Marriott web site, you must reserve the lowest rate to be eligible for the guarantee. According to our review, we have determined that, along with the nightly room rate you confirmed, the following offer was available via Marriott's web site: Package rate with F&B credit."

In the past Marriott has used this excuse to deny 3rd party sites which state things like "resort fee included" as an out because it includes more than breakfast. This time it's the Marriott site that includes more and they want to impose their rate to deny a valid claim. It seems like Marriott is writing its own rules here...........

Basically Marriott is trying to override #2 in the T&C with #5

Did Marriott just find a loophole for them to use to deny LNF's or are these agents not understanding that the package rates shouldn't be considered?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 7:48 pm

The rules I mentioned were from a copy of the T&C I found online. Marriott no longer makes it easy to find so folks may want to bookmark it from this link for later referral:

http://www.marriott.sa/File_Blocks/U...ght_terms.html

Rule 2:

The guarantee does not apply to the following rate types:

*Rates that are not publicly available, such as negotiated corporate or group rates.
*Discount rates offered only to members of groups or individuals who meet previously-specified criteria, including AAA members, seniors, government employees, or Marriott Rewards members.
*Package rates that include the room and other components such as travel, car rental, entertainment, and/or non-breakfast meals.
*Package or group add-on rates that extend the length of a stay.
*Rates negotiated for stays extending beyond 30 nights.
*Rates that are available on auction Web sites.
*Rates available on Web sites, such as Priceline and Hotwire, that do not disclose the hotel brand until the reservation is completed.
*Pre-paid rates that involve a voucher or other form of pre-paid certificate (including electronic vouchers and certificates) for a hotel stay outside the United States and Canada.

Rule 5:

When multiple rates for the same hotel, reservation dates, and room type are available through a Marriott channel you must reserve the lowest rate to be eligible for the guarantee.

And to clarify for everyone who's late to the party:

ME: Booked Leisure Rate for Hotel for $xxx and found lower rate with no inclusions at 3rd party site. Claim submitted
MARRIOTT: NO this is is not a valid claim because Marriott has a package rate with $100 F&B credit that is the same as 3rd party rate.

The caveat is the 3rd party site does not include any F&B credit so it should be compared to the leisure rate which also does not include anything besides room. Marriott wants to deny it because they offer the same rate as 3rd party site but with F&B credit.

Now I get this is a very rare situation, but what's to stop Marriott from in the future adding a package as a preface to deny valid LNF claims. And if the situation were reversed and the 3rd party had inclusions that Marriott did not it would be an immediate denial. Why should Marriott's offering be any different given the specific exclusion of these types of rates in clause 2 of the T&C?

Last edited by chicaloca453; Dec 5, 2015 at 7:58 pm
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Marriott does not add packages to any rates.

The individual properties might add packages and you might find (I already have) certain properties that only offer packages, consisting of breakfast + anything (in my case a glass of beer) which is sufficient to deny any LNFs, but that's life and nothing you, or I, can do about it.

3rd party sites might offer rooms only or room and breakfast rates not offered by the individual property so either buy it or the package rates via Marriott.com but no LNFs will be approved.

And what stops all properties from doing this - nothing.

The rules I mentioned were from a copy of the T&C I found online. Marriott no longer makes it easy to find so folks may want to bookmark it from this link for later referral:

http://www.marriott.sa/File_Blocks/U...ght_terms.html

Rule 2:

The guarantee does not apply to the following rate types:

*Rates that are not publicly available, such as negotiated corporate or group rates.
*Discount rates offered only to members of groups or individuals who meet previously-specified criteria, including AAA members, seniors, government employees, or Marriott Rewards members.
*Package rates that include the room and other components such as travel, car rental, entertainment, and/or non-breakfast meals.
*Package or group add-on rates that extend the length of a stay.
*Rates negotiated for stays extending beyond 30 nights.
*Rates that are available on auction Web sites.
*Rates available on Web sites, such as Priceline and Hotwire, that do not disclose the hotel brand until the reservation is completed.
*Pre-paid rates that involve a voucher or other form of pre-paid certificate (including electronic vouchers and certificates) for a hotel stay outside the United States and Canada.

Rule 5:

When multiple rates for the same hotel, reservation dates, and room type are available through a Marriott channel you must reserve the lowest rate to be eligible for the guarantee.

And to clarify for everyone who's late to the party:

ME: Booked Leisure Rate for Hotel for $xxx and found lower rate with no inclusions at 3rd party site. Claim submitted
MARRIOTT: NO this is is not a valid claim because Marriott has a package rate with $100 F&B credit that is the same as 3rd party rate.

The caveat is the 3rd party site does not include any F&B credit so it should be compared to the leisure rate which also does not include anything besides room. Marriott wants to deny it because they offer the same rate as 3rd party site but with F&B credit.

Now I get this is a very rare situation, but what's to stop Marriott from in the future adding a package as a preface to deny valid LNF claims. And if the situation were reversed and the 3rd party had inclusions that Marriott did not it would be an immediate denial. Why should Marriott's offering be any different given the specific exclusion of these types of rates in clause 2 of the T&C?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's bad that marriott denies LNF using their lowest rate that contains more than just breakfast. 4 years ago I had this problem and they first denied me and then I quoted the T&C and I finally got it through. I booked a rate includes tickets to a water world which shouldn't be LNFable, so I book the rate that doesn't contain that.

Did this for another hotel with the F&B $10 credit being as the lowest rate so I had to book it because the more expensive room only was turned down. Got the LNF through but lost the $10 credit.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
I found a rate for the Marriott Marquis SF for the A gift for you $25 credit at $189. Then i found the same cancelable rate on another site for $187. Is this rate eligible for the LNF rate? will it lose the $25 credit if approved?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:38 pm
Suspended

the general rule is anything in addition to breakfast is considered non-LNFable, but frankly, there's no harm in submitting it and see what happens.

Originally Posted by jm1991
I found a rate for the Marriott Marquis SF for the A gift for you $25 credit at $189. Then i found the same cancelable rate on another site for $187. Is this rate eligible for the LNF rate? will it lose the $25 credit if approved?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jm1991
Yes you will, the only thing that will go with the LNF rate is breakfast.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
blah! they denied it. oh well.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone done an LNF on the extra adult charge? Marriott.com wants 159 pounds for a room in Edinburgh (149 + 10 extra adult charge) while Expedia just wants 149 pounds and no extra adult charge.

Not sure if Marriott views this as a legitimate LNF or not.

I assume it won't because of this "Rate comparison will be made net of any taxes, gratuities, or any other fees associated with the room rate, and the Comparison Rate must still be available at the time Marriott validates the claim. Rate disparities solely attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee."

In which case makes more sense to book with Expedia.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:07 am

Had a LNF approved 2 days ago, with this notice :

When reconfirming your reservation, you may discover that your room rate has not yet been modified. Please be assured, your rate will be modified as described above before your arrival.

Anyone experienced this ?
Rates have always been adjusted immediately on my previous LNFs.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Melimelo88
Had a LNF approved 2 days ago, with this notice :

When reconfirming your reservation, you may discover that your room rate has not yet been modified. Please be assured, your rate will be modified as described above before your arrival.

Anyone experienced this ?
Rates have always been adjusted immediately on my previous LNFs.
I would definitely keep that email.

Hopefully you won't need it by checkin.

And no. And I got one approved a few days ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.