Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Canada, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Canada, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by KRS
Looks to me like it is a hotel, despite having Resort in the name...
Could be, but resort in the name means no bennies other than i-net.

Cheers.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Statues here for 2 nights this week hotel was empty and was upgraded to their executive suite, which was extremely nice and overlooked the water.

There was free internet which required no password or anything.

Hotel is simply stunning and service was excellent. Hotel pool is massive with a big waterside and very nice gym.

As a gold there was not other benefits except the upgrade.

Would definitely return if the rate was good paid 151 a night.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
Golf Club Access

I have a question.
Can I access Golf Club without actually playing?

View looks good from the golf ground...

Update: They allowed us to walk along the course to check the view. 12th hole view is amazing. Worth the visit.

Last edited by NoviceFT; Sep 2, 2014 at 12:56 pm Reason: Update after the trip
Old May 24, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any Platinum's stayed here recently? Curious if any benefits besides $10 resort credit or free valet parking mentioned in different thread. What kind of upgrade did you receive? I assume because it's a "resort" there is no complimentary breakfast. Stayed here multiple times when it was a Fairmont and loved the hotel. Possible upcoming trip next week. Thank you.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Any Platinum's stayed here recently? Curious if any benefits besides $10 resort credit or free valet parking mentioned in different thread. What kind of upgrade did you receive? I assume because it's a "resort" there is no complimentary breakfast. Stayed here multiple times when it was a Fairmont and loved the hotel. Possible upcoming trip next week. Thank you.
My last stay was in February , was given an upgrade to a two room suite last two times and there was no breakfast included. Was offered my amenity and free valet parking I've never used the valet as the parking lot is very close to the lobby.

Great onsite restaurant for lunch or dinner if you plan on staying in the hotel for dinner.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Twickenham
Marriott Rewards category: 5

It won't last, of course, but for now, looks like a pretty cool way of using those Cat. 1-5 certs.
Still a Cat 5.

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Thanks. Will post my comments if I do stay.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Stayed 4-7 July - Watch your MR Credit Card Posting

The property is really nice, an old railroad hotel that has a lot of character. Beautiful grounds and the town itself is quaint. They have redone the rooms and bathrooms. We had one of the view rooms on the 3rd floor. One of the smallest bathrooms I have ever seen in a hotel, but the views are awesome. NOTE that Chase has posted this as a non-Marriott spend and I am having a tough time getting that changed.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:18 pm

Any more recent reviews? Looking at a week or somewhere nice for the family this coming summer.

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:00 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I recently had a 4-night stay at this property. I originally made a flexible booking for two rooms with one queen bed each; there was nothing else available online. In reality I needed 4 beds in total because our stay was for 4 adults and 4 children. When it got closer to the date, but before the cancellation deadline (72 hours before arrival), I called the hotel and asked if they had connecting rooms with 2 beds each, otherwise I would have to cancel my reservation and stay elsewhere. There was still nothing available online. I got transferred to a helpful chap from in-house reservations and he was able to move things around and I ended up having a free upgrade for both rooms to a studio suite, each with 2 double beds. The rooms were not connecting because they do not have many of those in the hotel, but at least we got rooms next to each other. I found this to be a very generous Platinum upgrade.

The hotel is very nice and the children loved the slide in the indoor pool. The restaurant of the hotel is excellent. We had dinner there once. We did not have breakfast however and it is not free.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:52 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
My review is a few years old, but I wanted to give a perspective from a family vacation. We stayed in July 2014 for 5 nights. It was fairly soon after the hotel had reopened. There were 5 of us, 2 adults and kids 16, 14, and 11. I don't recall specifically what platinum benefits there were, but we were upgraded to a studio room which was a good size, had a nice view of the water, and we also had a rollaway. It seems like we got a welcome gift of some kind, probably some food item that the kids immediately destroyed! The little kitchen area was nice, as the only downside to the area was that there weren't tons of great restaurants at the time. Self park is very close, and probably just as convenient as valet.

We loved the hotel. There was a great indoor waterslide, plus a nice outdoor pool. Bikes to use, tennis courts, fires at night, beautiful porches to relax and enjoy the sunset. We had one rainy day, and enjoyed playing games in the lobby area.

We enjoyed the area, and 5 days was probably just right. We went whale watching one day, and hiked around Minister's Island another. The tides make the area fascinating. We had combined this with a visit to Acadia National Park for a few days, which was only a few hours away.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I just stayed there, I am platinum. We were told we received an upgraded room, which was good sized and had a water view. The bathroom was pretty small, but functional. I also received a coupon for a shareable appetizer at the golf course restaurant. Others mentioned free valet parking, I can’t comment on that as I just unloaded our bags and parked at the free lot pretty much next door for guests. Internet was free, but that seemed to be for everyone as I didnt have to put in my name or room number. Service is pretty solid. Cable TV in the room had both US and Canadian stations.

There is a resort fee each day. It includes free use of their bikes, free club rental and balls at the driving range, free shuttle and use of their private beach and possibly a couple of other things.

The hotel restaurant was good and really not overpriced compared to most hotel restaurants. We had dinner there once and also brunch, which was a comprehensive buffet. We also used our free coupon at the golf course, even if you don’t play golf (we used the driving range, which was free), it is a very nice view. They provide a free shuttle.

The location of the the hotel is above the town, not even a 10 minute walk and you are on Water Street, which has a lot of shops, restaurants, hardware store, a couple of ice cream shops, town hall is there, there is a grocery store that has basics. They sell wine as well. There is a liquor store as well on Water. There is a good breakfast place on King Street a block up off of Water. It’s a cute town. We were there for Canada Day, so they had a parade and free Canada Day cake. People are friendly, it’s Canada.

Farther down Water Street there are some nice water views, the difference between low and high tide is striking. There is a very nice garden down King of Wales from the hotel, Kingsbrae. There is an admission price, but I thought definitely worth it. They have some cute goats and alpaca’s as well. There is also a loyalist cemetery at the corner of King of Wales and King that is interesting if you are into history. There are a couple of museums and the library on King Street has free movie night one night. We didn’t go, but they were showing Black Panther.

I would recommend going to St Andrews, it’s a nice town. Very relaxing. The hotel is nice, the cost wasn’t that high so we paid, but a good use of points. It’s about a 2:15 drive from Bangor airport, so really not that hard to get to. I got their quicker than I could get to the Hamptons on a weekend from NYC, including the flight, and a much more relaxing drive.
EdV likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:43 am

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Just a little confused...

Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
My wife and I just stayed there, I am platinum. We were told we received an upgraded room, which was good sized and had a water view. The bathroom was pretty small, but functional. I also received a coupon for a shareable appetizer at the golf course restaurant. Others mentioned free valet parking, I can’t comment on that as I just unloaded our bags and parked at the free lot pretty much next door for guests. Internet was free, but that seemed to be for everyone as I didnt have to put in my name or room number. Service is pretty solid. Cable TV in the room had both US and Canadian stations.

There is a resort fee each day. It includes free use of their bikes, free club rental and balls at the driving range, free shuttle and use of their private beach and possibly a couple of other things.

The hotel restaurant was good and really not overpriced compared to most hotel restaurants. We had dinner there once and also brunch, which was a comprehensive buffet. We also used our free coupon at the golf course, even if you don’t play golf (we used the driving range, which was free), it is a very nice view. They provide a free shuttle.

The location of the the hotel is above the town, not even a 10 minute walk and you are on Water Street, which has a lot of shops, restaurants, hardware store, a couple of ice cream shops, town hall is there, there is a grocery store that has basics. They sell wine as well. There is a liquor store as well on Water. There is a good breakfast place on King Street a block up off of Water. It’s a cute town. We were there for Canada Day, so they had a parade and free Canada Day cake. People are friendly, it’s Canada.

Farther down Water Street there are some nice water views, the difference between low and high tide is striking. There is a very nice garden down King of Wales from the hotel, Kingsbrae. There is an admission price, but I thought definitely worth it. They have some cute goats and alpaca’s as well. There is also a loyalist cemetery at the corner of King of Wales and King that is interesting if you are into history. There are a couple of museums and the library on King Street has free movie night one night. We didn’t go, but they were showing Black Panther.

I would recommend going to St Andrews, it’s a nice town. Very relaxing. The hotel is nice, the cost wasn’t that high so we paid, but a good use of points. It’s about a 2:15 drive from Bangor airport, so really not that hard to get to. I got their quicker than I could get to the Hamptons on a weekend from NYC, including the flight, and a much more relaxing drive.
...you said you used your free coupon at the golf course....so did they give you a round of golf in the room rate or am I mis-reading this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.