Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
I noticed that the Marriott forum has quite a few "stickie" threads and that the number has been slowly growing over the years. Also, it seems most of the other hotel/airline forums have a "master" FAQ thread at the top of their forums.

So I thought it might be a good idea if we tried to put together a Marriott Master FAQ thread. I have started one below with some general topics (I admit that I looked at the Hilton and the Starwood FAQs to get some ideas.)

My thoughts are that people could chime in with suggestions on additions, topic areas, etc. Whatever anyone thinks would be helpful.

So don't be shy. Let me know your thoughts (even if you think I'm totally doing it wrong.)

Marriott and Starwood Merger Threads

Important Marriott Forum Member's Threads

Popular Hotel and City Master Threads

Marriott Elite levels, benefits, status
Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)
Can my spouse and I both get lounge guests?
2014 Status Buyback is back!
Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status
Platinum Premier level, 2016-present
Does Marriott match other programs' elite status?
"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Questions involving rollover nights
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Platinum worth it?
Questions about "The Ultimate Guarantee"
Just Curious - Have you ever gotten, lost, and regained Platinum Premier
Official Upgrade Policy
Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation
Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016
Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?
Is Free Internet Available for Multiple Rooms?
Platinum redeeming points for someone else - upgrades?
Simultaneous Stays - Multiple Elite Nights?
Multiple Rooms Rules for Elites
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Ritz Carlton Rewards Marriott Rewards Points Marriott Rewards Promotions/Bonus Opportunities Marriott/Ritz Carlton Credit Cards Marriott Program Comparisons with other Hotel Programs General Marriott Threads for FlyerTalk members
Print Wikipost

Marriott FAQ Master Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
I'm sure this has been asked & answered.... but.... I stayed 54 nights at Marriott last year, so Gold, but so is everyone who achieved Gold Status on United. Does my actually being Gold at Marriott mean anything beyond what I and others get automatically for achieving Gold on United?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by txpenny
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for my question. I have searched the forum with no luck.

Marriott Platinum - Did an award stay at a RC. Upgraded to Club Level. Total bill before tax was $240 ($200 club, $40 valet).

How many MR points should I have earned?
Anyone?

I was only awarded the 1K platinum stay gift. Might be correct.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for my question. I have searched the forum with no luck.

Marriott Platinum - Did an award stay at a RC. Upgraded to Club Level. Total bill before tax was $240 ($200 club, $40 valet).

How many MR points should I have earned?

1000 for Platinum gift

5x240(plus tax) if you used your Chase Marriott or Ritz Carleton cards to pay
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: AI, BA, Etihad, Mariott, IHG, TIC
Originally Posted by monkatpeace
Thank you so much. I reminded them about the PAG miss and unexpectedly, they asked if 2,500 points would be okay as a compensation. Since I hadn't anticipated this response, I simply said okay. As an afterthought I did think about missing the opportunity to negotiate for more compensatory points, but am still okay with 2,500 points .

Ch33rs,
Monk
The points for my stay at the Springhill suites and my subsequent stay at another Marriott property got credited (with the PAG points). But the 2,500 PAG points promised at Springhill has still not been credited. I am thinking of dropping them an email and marking a cc to the Marriott customer care.

Also, I believe this is an unnecessary delay as well as a hassle to a customer for the repeated follow-ups. I am planning to request for a better compensation (more points maybe?). Please suggest if I should wait, or go ahead and drop the email?

Thanks,
Monk
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:10 am

Had no joy searching on FT or Marriott.com so hoping someone knows:

The cutoff dates for promotions, are these usually dates the stay has to cover, or do you need to have cheked out no later than the end date.

Last Marriott promo is case in point - expiry date of Jan 15th. With IHG then as long as checked in on 15th (and then out on 16th or later) the stay would count toward the promotion, does Marriott work in the same way, or would a stay like that fail to qualify?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
When does Marriott mail out the new elite status membership cards, the old ones have an expiration date of 2/17 I believe, does anyone know?
Old May 14, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Suggestion

Would it be possible for someone to update post #1 of this FAQ so the thread titles are visible? I believe that in the old days (2012?) when you pasted a link, it didn't show the actual thread title, but today it does.

I'm new to the Marriott forum, and I find it tedious to have to click on every link to see what it's about.

I'd even volunteer to do the task if you wanted me to!
Old May 14, 2017, 9:12 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'd even volunteer to do the task if you wanted me to!
Should you be generous enough to do so, please do it in the form of a wiki. Then hopefully others will help maintain it. I love wikis as it's a great way to keep information at the top of a thread.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think I can do that. I'll try to convert it to a wiki tonight.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Im not sure if this is the right spot to ask this , but i have 480k marriott rewards which i transferred from SPG . The reason why i did this was to redeem for the marriott travel packages. Im trying to fly my family in J of 5 to europe from sydney . Im looking at transferring the points to AA and then using them that way , but since its a lot of points i don't want to make the wrong decision can anyone offer some further advice?

This would mean 330k for cat 7. and 120k AA and the rest of the points 150k just straight over to AA with the 25% bonuses currently seems like my best choice.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Shanye2233; May 21, 2017 at 5:41 am
Old May 21, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Have you checked the various airlines to see which might have the award availability at the miles cost you can cover? I'm not sure if AA would be the best program to find a bunch of J awards to Europe on. Note maybe it is, but if I were in your situation I'd be doing a lot of legwork on the various airline programs. I'd check what it costs, miles wise and what each airline's award availability is. Then you can check to see how many miles in each program you can get. Be careful of using a Marriott TP award if you find that a non-US airline might work better. Not all the airline transfers at 120K max with a Marriott TP award. A number of non-US airlines transfer to a smaller amount of miles.

Also, when you say "and the rest of the points 150k just straight over to AA" you will want to check whether transferring from SPG to an airline is better than transferring from Marriott. Outside of the TP awards, transferring from SPG to your airline of choice may well get you more miles.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Really appreciate your input . I'm based in Sydney and looking at using the miles on QR to Europe the availability is good . I also have some qantas points to use to try to get 6 seats .

I have looked at the different airline programs and to go on QR only qantas , AA and Asia miles which I have not looked into yet .

I wasn't aware of the limit you can transfer miles to a airline . Looking at the aa award chart i need 87.5 in J each way x 4 680k aa miles and only 480k marriott to play with at the moment. I wonder if i do convert 330k for the marriott TP and then maybe the rest to asia miles if that is a better plan.

I have been getting some of my info from http://www.pointhacks.com.au/qatar-p...emption-guide/

Last edited by Shanye2233; May 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I have a pre-paid reservation for 2 nights at a Courtyard. I want to add 1 night at the start and was going to make a booking for that but the calendar shows no check in for 1 night stay on a Monday.

"Cancelling Your Reservation
Changes to your reservation are not permitted. Please note that you may cancel your reservation for no charge until May 22, 2017.

Please note that your prepayment for this special rate is non-refundable.

Cancel entire reservation
Eligible charges from this stay will be credited to your Marriott Rewards account."

I don't want a refund but if I canceled would the whole balance of my 2 nights get credited to my account and then I could make a new reservation for 3 nights?

If not it's no big deal, there's an Autograph around the block I could try out for 1 night.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

It sounds like you are asking if you can cancel an existing 2 day pre-paid reservation that states it can be cancelled before June 22nd for no penalties.

The answer is yes, you should be able to cancel that reservation as long as you do so before June 22nd. Most likely, your credit card hasn't even been charged yet for the reservation and won't be until after June 22nd.

Since you really just want to add one extra day to the existing reservation, I'd call the hotel and ask them if they will add the day to the reservation. The hotel management team should be able to do that without much problem especially given the cancellation date hasn't passed yet.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
It's May 22 cancel date-prepaid reservation. I was trying to avoid having to call Budapest but I will at a normal hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.