Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
To the best of my knowledge and everything posted here on FT the promo was "A Taste of Gold" not "A Taste of Elite" as discussed in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...promotion.html

In addition to enrolling in the Taste of Gold, did you perhaps also sign up for a Platinum challenge of some sort? That would explain why the CSR said, "they can only do one challenge exception so they will not make me Platinum".

Good luck in sorting it out.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite
Question Platinum Elite Challenge

Hi

I emailed MR regarding an account enquiry and my currect status and they replied with a Platinum Challenge:

"In order to maintain this status, you must stay 18 paid nights beginning March
17, 2010, through June 30, 2010. This is a one-time offer, and these dates
cannot be changed"

I hoped to request this challenge later in the year as I will be spending 15 nights from 25th June in a Marriott Hotel, so the extra 4 nights would be no problem to achieve. With this offer only 6 of those nights would count and I would be unable to stay an additional 12 nights before end june....

Does anyone know:
-Despite the message above wether I could ask for the challenge to be dalayed (I have just returned from a 5 night stay also)
-If I decline to take part - is this really a one time offer or could I request again later in the year?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ukswift88
Hi

Does anyone know:
-Despite the message above wether I could ask for the challenge to be dalayed (I have just returned from a 5 night stay also)
-If I decline to take part - is this really a one time offer or could I request again later in the year?
No, this is a one time offer this year, you may ask after the new year for a new challenge if they have not changed their policy.

See post #10 of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...gold-comp.html

But I do not understand, if you did not initiate the challenge request, why would they give you this challenge? If I were you, I will reply and ask them the question you have before accepting / declining the challenge.

Have they upgraded you as a Platinum member now?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite
I had been advised by a MVCI agent that I could upgrade to platinum for 60k points (which I thought was incorrect), so I contacted MR online who confirmed that it was not possible but they would offer me the platinum challenge.... I have not had my current status changed as yet
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:07 pm

Gold status promo

I was also given Gold status with Marriott after on a handful of stays. Any info on a promotion that was going on within the past month or two? Couldn't find any thread about it; saw a post about Hilton doing something similar but haven't found any info on either program.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by milesunited
I was also given Gold status with Marriott after on a handful of stays. Any info on a promotion that was going on within the past month or two? Couldn't find any thread about it; saw a post about Hilton doing something similar but haven't found any info on either program.
Did you have any stays in 2009, and if so, how many? Nights past elite thresholds rolled over to 2010. Also, do you hold any Chase Marriott-branded credit cards?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
I also have been "comp'ed" Gold last week.
I'm in the UK and have had 20 stayed last year and hold the Marriott Rewards Visa card.

Maybe they targeted me due to my FF status with American? or because I redeemed 250,000 MR points last year? Not sure!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Got the same Gold deal, after about 15 stays last year. I need to stay 12 nights between April and June to keep the Gold (even though the exp date on the card shows 2/12 !!). Unfortunate they're waiting until then, as I'm at a Marriott most of next week (too early for the promotion). Looks like a great deal considering the status extending through early 2012.

Not sure why I received this - 15 nights/year is about typical for me. Maybe it's the CO Plat status?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Lifetime Plat/Titanium, National Exec Elite
Comped Gold

Checked in on family vacation this week and was recognized as 'Gold'. Logged into my account and sure enough says that I am a gold member.

Stays last year - about 10 (made silver).
Stays this year - 2 so far plus the 1 (4 nights) this weekend.

I'll take it, perhaps will switch for part of the year to 'enjoy' gold status. Unless everyone is now Gold, then, Gold is the new 'silver'......
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by b0nd0
Unless everyone is now Gold, then, Gold is the new 'silver'......
Here's one who is still Silver, after Gold last year. 30 nights last year, 10 this.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I need to stay 12 nights between April and June to keep the Gold (even though the exp date on the card shows 2/12 !!)
I got this offer today. I've only stayed 2 nights so far this year since I've been staying at Hilton of late.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL GOLD
Got it also.. No explanation. A Silver with 19 nites last year.

I did get an email to look for "special treatment" this year because I was a valued customer??
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:57 am
mlk

My mystery Gold status has finally been solved.

This morning, I received an email from Marriott that informs me that my bump up to Gold status is the result of a promo that is going to run from 4/1 through 6/30. I can keep Gold status through 2/2012 by staying 12 nights.

Odd that the status bump happened so far in advance of the announcement of the promo (I noticed I was Gold sometime during the first/second week of March).
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by mlk
My mystery Gold status has finally been solved.

This morning, I received an email from Marriott that informs me that my bump up to Gold status is the result of a promo that is going to run from 4/1 through 6/30. I can keep Gold status through 2/2012 by staying 12 nights.

Odd that the status bump happened so far in advance of the announcement of the promo (I noticed I was Gold sometime during the first/second week of March).
I'm in the same boat, as I received the letter yesterday. This really won't do me any good, as I only stay at CYs, so upgrades are meaningless. I'll knock out my standard 35-40 MR nights this year and likely revert back to Silver like every other year.

I could easily hit 50 if I tried, but my company has way too many good corporate rates at SPG hotels near our offices to pass up. Westin or CY? Boy, that's a tough choice...
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Made silver for the first time last year with 11 nights, so 1 was carried over. Stayed 3 nights so far this year. Probably will do 3 more. Comped to Gold, but there's no chance of me staying a single night in the promotion period.

You'd think they'd try and target people who where on the cusp, not people like me who pay out of their own pocket and find it unbelievable that they made any status at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.