Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:29 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Counsellor
...if you can get Gold for two years by staying 12 nights, and plan to do traveling (particularly on your own dime), I'd say Gold is definitely worth it. You get upgrades to the Concierge Lounge (or Club Lounge) in most full service properties, and that means free breakfast and usually heavy finger food or buffet for evening meal as well.
Thanks for the analysis. I was on the fence on this, but you've convinced me it will be worth it to do a few "mattress runs" over the weekends in June and July to keep the Gold status. Luckily, there are a lot of properties in my neck of the woods, many with very cheap rates.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:37 am

Question

I did receive the targeted email today - but I'm already gold until 2011.

I wonder what was wrong... the card I received that says gold until 2011, or the email. I would assume that the card would be more accurate.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Any speculation as to how Marriott decided who to target?

I'm Gold already, so I don't need it, but I have some colleagues who would be thrilled to be targeted.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I just received the email today, so it looks like they are still sending it out. I was Silver with about 30 nights last year. I only have about 4 nights this year, with no upcoming stays planned.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:52 am

I didn't receive the email but was able to participate anyways.

My Gold ended in February, we had an award stay in March and my wife called customer service to find out a way to keep Gold for one more month.

CS rep told my wife about "Taste of Gold" promotion and so she signed us up.

We had our Gold status for our reward stay at JW Marriott in Bangkok which meant upgrade to executive floor and lounge access.

The lounge was great!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
Right on time

I got my e-mail and temp gold card about a day apart. I'm scheduled for 14 paid nights in Guam. For once I'm not a day late and dollar short.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: Aeorplan E 75, Marriott Rewards Plat
Love this promo, This would be a no brainer, but Mrs yyjregular and I are expecting a baby on June 3rd so aside from a couple of nights there's no way I can be away for 12 nights in the May1st to July 31 period. Does anyone know if the 10 nights I coupld pick up from a MR visa would count towards the total?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yyjregular
Does anyone know if the 10 nights I coupld pick up from a MR visa would count towards the total?
The nights from a MR visa have not counted toward any other promotion that Marriott has offered, so I doubt it would count here either.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: Aeorplan E 75, Marriott Rewards Plat
Thanks, I knew it was a long shot but worth asking.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:38 pm

Is there anyway that a regular member can sneak in without being a silver?
BTW, I just join MR dueto a forthcoming conference.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:11 pm
formerly jasperjugan

Programs: DL SkyMiles Gold Medallion, Marriott Rewards Gold Elite, A|Club Gold, PR Mabuhay Miles Base Member
i wonder who are the target audience and why i didn't receive any on this..
Old May 18, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: KF
I have stayed for more than 20 nights this years, and I didn't get this either.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 5:46 am

Question about Gold/Platinum Status Trial

I have been a Platinum or Gold member for years and am currently Gold. It had lapsed so I enrolled in the Taste of Elite trial where you have 90 days to stay a certain amount of days to maintain your status (which expires 6/30 for me)

12 days lets you keep Gold status and I have already surpassed that. However, I thought it also mentioned that 18 days would let you get Platinum and I will pass that as well. Is that true? How do I ensure I was enrolled in the Platinum Taste of Elite trial and not just the Gold trial? If they gave me Gold status does that mean I cannot do the 18 day Platinum? There isn't much information online and my account doesn't reflect the trial program either.

I am going to continue to be staying at a Marriott 4 days a week every week for several more months but would like to ensure I receive the Platinum status as part of this trial since I have been Platinum in the past, am currently Gold, and will be providing tons of business to Marriott
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:30 am

So I've met the # of days to reach Platinum Status through the Elite Challenge and emailed Marriott Rewards to ensure I was changed to Platinum.

They stated that they can only do one challenge exception so they will not make me Platinum. I am not asking for another challenge, I already had the 90 day challenge and met the requirements to get Platinum back - maybe the customer service rep gave me the wrong elite challenge? I was told that if I stayed 12 nights I'd keep Gold and if I stayed 18 nights I would keep Platinum.

I've stayed 18 nights and will be staying another 50 or so in the next 2 months - is there a Marriott Concierge or someone on this forum that can help me out? When I joined the Taste of Elite Challenge I was told 18 days would get me back to Platinum but now am being told I can only be Gold no matter how many nights I stayed...
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
Do what I always do, call back and get another rep... some are useless... some are great!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.