Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:41 pm

Does anyone here knows if the Marriott Friends and Family rate, AAA and/or Government Discount rates also qualify and/or valid for the Taste of Gold/Platinum Challenge? I called Marriott this morning and the rep told me that all rates applies, except booking through a third party like Orbitz, etc. I am worried because I called back and was told strictly published fares on their website, no discounted rates. Now I'm really confused on this.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Marriott sent me an email saying that I can register for the Gold challenge. 4 stays by March 31 2015. Saved me the trouble of phoning them to ask for it. =) I wonder if we can combine this with the MEGABONUS challenge..
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by SPYDER67
Does anyone here knows if the Marriott Friends and Family rate, AAA and/or Government Discount rates also qualify and/or valid for the Taste of Gold/Platinum Challenge? I called Marriott this morning and the rep told me that all rates applies, except booking through a third party like Orbitz, etc. I am worried because I called back and was told strictly published fares on their website, no discounted rates. Now I'm really confused on this.
Yes any rate will qualify. I've done it with either corporate discount rate or government rate only
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:51 pm

Thanks

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Yes any rate will qualify. I've done it with either corporate discount rate or government rate only
Thank you red Elmo. Great to know.

msNJV; 4 stays seems low. I have been hearing of 6 stays for Gold and 9 stays for platinum if my memory serves me right. Are you sure? Did you just sent an email via your membership account and got that response?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Friends and Family likely does not qualify. Travel industry rates usually don't either. I think you need to correct that statement by saying most rates qualify. Rates that do not earn points will not qualify. Examples are the above mentioned as well as group rates when the company pays instead of the individual.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Friends and Family likely does not qualify. Travel industry rates usually don't either. I think you need to correct that statement by saying most rates qualify. Rates that do not earn points will not qualify. Examples are the above mentioned as well as group rates when the company pays instead of the individual.
Marriott owner vacation club stays do not count. I found out the hard way.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:42 am

Reconfirmed with agent. Only AAA and Govt Discount rates qualify for this challenge.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reconfirmed with agent. Only AAA and Govt Discount rates qualify for this challenge.
LNF also qualifies I believe.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Happy
LNF also qualifies I believe.
Yes, it does... wife used it twice earlier this year for her challenge.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Thank you red Elmo. Great to know.

msNJV; 4 stays seems low. I have been hearing of 6 stays for Gold and 9 stays for platinum if my memory serves me right. Are you sure? Did you just sent an email via your membership account and got that response?
I did not send any email. They are the ones that sent me an email first! And I totally agree with you, 4 stays seem low I wonder if they knew I suddenly got status with Club Carlson and SPG (Amex Plat) ..

I've also only stayed with Marriott for 2 nights.. but I have the Chase Marriott. Maybe they knew I am travelling extensively in SEA the next four months and want me to sway in their direction..
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by msNJV
I did not send any email. They are the ones that sent me an email first! And I totally agree with you, 4 stays seem low I wonder if they knew I suddenly got status with Club Carlson and SPG (Amex Plat) ..

I've also only stayed with Marriott for 2 nights.. but I have the Chase Marriott. Maybe they knew I am travelling extensively in SEA the next four months and want me to sway in their direction..
Wow, only 4 stays. Very doable IMO even if you have to hotel hop. Good luck and start reaping the rewards.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:32 pm

Speed up Challenge

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Wow, only 4 stays. Very doable IMO even if you have to hotel hop. Good luck and start reaping the rewards.
So if I have to travel out of town for four nights, can I check in and out at four different properties and that will count as four stay? Does anyone knows if that can work to speed up the challenge?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
So if I have to travel out of town for four nights, can I check in and out at four different properties and that will count as four stay? Does anyone knows if that can work to speed up the challenge?
That will work... you can also check into A, spend one night, check into B, spend one night, then back to A then B...
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:04 am

Also works for speeding up mega bonus promos.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott & Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Plat Status Question 2015 re: Taste of Plat Challenge 2014

Hi All,

I completed the taste of platinum challenge in 2014 and enjoyed all the benefits this past year, I am wondering if that status holds true all through 2015 as well. My profile online still reflects I am a Platinum elite (but does not indicate when that is thru), and even shows I already have 20 nights on my 2015 Nights Detail. Can someone clear up when my status will/should end, and why it already shows I have 20 nights?

Also, I do not currently have any Marriott CCs open

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.