Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We just received Gold through the Taste of Gold challenge. Have until 6/30 to complete 6 stays.

We have several stays already booked during that time period. Some paid, some on points/certificates. Will the hotels know of our upgraded status? Will we get the benefits (if available) on the award stays?
I too received email last week stating I was automatically upgraded to Gold and entered in Taste of Gold Challenge. Have until June 30 to stay 6 times. Just wish it was based on either nights and not just stays. I was a Silver and had obtained that via credit card and have stayed total of 11 night in the past 7 or 8 months since I started to stay with Marriott.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Thanks to this site I called and asked about this offer. I am currently a Silver and have lots of stays coming up. I asked if I was eligible and the agent said yes! So I am enrolled and, like everyone else, have until June 30 to have 6 paid stays. THEN I am upgraded to Gold. The agent made it clear I am not being given Gold status during this time . . . I only get it after 6 paid stays. So I guess it's a road, not a taste! No idea why I wasn't targeted but whatever. Thanks FT!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jlb3
Thanks to this site I called and asked about this offer. I am currently a Silver and have lots of stays coming up. I asked if I was eligible and the agent said yes! So I am enrolled and, like everyone else, have until June 30 to have 6 paid stays. THEN I am upgraded to Gold. The agent made it clear I am not being given Gold status during this time . . . I only get it after 6 paid stays. So I guess it's a road, not a taste! No idea why I wasn't targeted but whatever. Thanks FT!
Welcome to Flyertalk jlb3. Ugh so some folks are being targeted for the Taste of Gold, whereas those calling in are getting Road to Gold? I want the taste (if things go according to plan )
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:55 pm

From what I was told, the "road" challenge is for those who have had status in the past, but didn't have enough to maintain status. The "taste" challenge is for those who have never had the upgraded status before, so they get to "taste" it to see what gold status is like. I was hoping to get my gold status back in time for my 5 night trip next week, but it looks like I will have to hotel hop to make the 5 nights = 5 stays. I was also told (when calling Marriott Rewards Customer service) that I should call back when I reach 6 stays to ask for the upgraded status immmediately. Otherwise it won't kick in until 6/30.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Just FYI, I have never had status (aside from Silver now) and got the Road to Gold -- so I won't have Gold status until after 6 stays.

Originally Posted by carjeff
From what I was told, the "road" challenge is for those who have had status in the past, but didn't have enough to maintain status. The "taste" challenge is for those who have never had the upgraded status before, so they get to "taste" it to see what gold status is like. I was hoping to get my gold status back in time for my 5 night trip next week, but it looks like I will have to hotel hop to make the 5 nights = 5 stays. I was also told (when calling Marriott Rewards Customer service) that I should call back when I reach 6 stays to ask for the upgraded status immmediately. Otherwise it won't kick in until 6/30.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:24 am

Called last night to transfer points and inquire about this. Current Silver only from the credit card and not from actual stays - sitting at 20 nights. Asked for the challenge and received "Road" - clarified with the agent several times that I did not have gold until I completed six stays before June 30th.

Have to admit, I have a week long stay in London UK @ St Ermin's coming up and was just pushing for this to have free breakfast there. Looks like I'm out of luck!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:11 pm

FYI - I ended up doing my "hotel hop" last week for 5 nights, checking in/out each morning. Ended up with 5 nights = 5 stays. I have another trip scheduled in a few weeks, so I called customer service to ask if I could have my Gold status back prior to this trip. They saw the upcoming reservation and stated that they wanted me to take advantage of the concierge lounge and immediated upgraded me to back to Gold status through Jan 2016!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:52 pm

Angry

FYI - I ended up doing my "hotel hop" last week for 5 nights, checking in/out each morning. Ended up with 5 nights = 5 stays. I have another trip scheduled in a few weeks, so I called customer service to ask if I could have my Gold status back prior to this trip. They saw the upcoming reservation and stated that they wanted me to take advantage of the concierge lounge and immediated upgraded me to back to Gold status through Jan 2016!
Are the "road" challenge stays defined differently to the "taste" challenge? My "taste" challenge says "consecutive nights at the same hotel regardless of check in/out activity". Since 6 stays are required, does this mean I have to stay 6 times with each stay 2 night minimum? If so, would be fine but since I'm in Ireland there are only 2 Marriott properties @ around $400/night. ughh
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Gold, United Silver
I am at Gold already, and I have 4 stays coming up the next month, and probably 1 or 2 a month after that.
Is it worth trying to get platinum with a challenge? or is the benefit not worth the hassle?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by GarciaG
Are the "road" challenge stays defined differently to the "taste" challenge? My "taste" challenge says "consecutive nights at the same hotel regardless of check in/out activity". Since 6 stays are required, does this mean I have to stay 6 times with each stay 2 night minimum? If so, would be fine but since I'm in Ireland there are only 2 Marriott properties @ around $400/night. ughh
What that term means is that you can't just check in and check out at the same hotel and have it count as multiple stays. One night stays are fine.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by jesternl
I am at Gold already, and I have 4 stays coming up the next month, and probably 1 or 2 a month after that.
Is it worth trying to get platinum with a challenge? or is the benefit not worth the hassle?
It depends on where you usually stay at. If Asian properties, then go for Platinum challenge, my experience is 100% suite upgrade as Platinum across Asia=)
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
It depends on where you usually stay at. If Asian properties, then go for Platinum challenge, my experience is 100% suite upgrade as Platinum across Asia=)
I'm all across the US, but not outside of it in the foreseeable future.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:59 am

just signed up for it, might as well. United Silver could be a handy side benefit
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jesternl
just signed up for it, might as well. United Silver could be a handy side benefit
How did you sign up for this?

Did you call the standard MR number?

I tried today and the agent said only corporate offered challenges- and they were targeted and could not be requested. They offered the Road to Gold in 6 stays- I passed. Didn't HUCA yet- wanted FT'ers feedback first.

Have 6 hotels already booked (refundable) - is that a good thing or bad?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
How did you sign up for this?

Did you call the standard MR number?

I tried today and the agent said only corporate offered challenges- and they were targeted and could not be requested. They offered the Road to Gold in 6 stays- I passed. Didn't HUCA yet- wanted FT'ers feedback first.

Have 6 hotels already booked (refundable) - is that a good thing or bad?
Why did you pass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.