Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection, BVI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection, BVI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CALMSP
on the back beach, there wasn't much room to even swim. on the front side, not much either as its boat traffic. You would most likely have to go elsewhere for the day to do some snorkeling. But, I would not hold that back.
Agree about the limited snorkeling opportunities right in front of the property or at the north beach on the island. The good news is that there are a lot of very good snorkeling spots nearby in the BVIs. You can jump on one of the many snorkeling cruises that depart right from the resort and they'll take you to spots that are much better than those around Scrub Island. I highly suggest "The Dogs".
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Marriott Autograph Scrub Island BVIs

Thanks for your very helpful replies. It gives us a better picture of what to expect in terms of snorkeling at scrub.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by ncgator
I am pretty sure the free parking is on the main island of Tortola where the Ferry docks for transport to Scrub island. I also think it covers kayaks and snorkeling gear although I am waiting on confirmation back from the resort on the gear.
can anyone pls confirm the free parking at the ferry dock? thanks
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbbi
Hi All,

We will visit USVI and BVI this summer and would appreciate any suggestions. Below is our plan and questions.

We (two adults and we kids) will fly from Miami and will arrive at STT at 9:30PM. I understand we will not need to go through any custom or immigration (just like a domestic flight, right?). Since it will be pretty late, we will stay at Best Western for a night which seems walkable from airport. Is it safe to walk during the night?

On the next day, we will go direct to BVI via ferry. I have following questions
1. I heard the ferry schedule change quite often? Where can i find the up to date schedule? Is the schedule in the following link accurate?
http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/
2. there are several ferry routes according to the link above: Charlotte Amalie → Road Town, Charlotte Amalie → West End, Charlotte Amalie → Tortola, Redhook → West End, Red Hook → Tortola. Since we will not have a car on St Thomas, I figure I need to get a taxi to send us to ferry from Best Western/STT Airport? It seems Charlotte Amalie is the closest ferry port from Best Western/STT Airport? Is it easy to get a taxi? How much is it normally for that distance?
3. And which ferry port at BVI should we arrive at, or where is the best ferry port in BVI to rent a car? Any recommendation for a specific car rental company on BVI?
4. We will stay in Scrub Island in BVI. I understand there is free parking at the ferry dock for transport to Scrub island?
5. On BVI, we will also visit Jost Van Dyke island and Virgin Gorda island. I understand there is no car ferry to these two islands. Then I think we will need to drive to the ferry dock and park our rental car, then take the ferry and rent another car when we get on the island? (Should we make reservation?)
6. When going to BVI and returning to USVI, will we need to go through custom and immigration at ferry port?

After seven days in BVI, we will return to USVI. We need to get off from ferry (Charlotte Amalie?), and take a taxi back to STT airport to rent another car. Then we drive around in St Thomas for half day, and go to St John by car ferry (Red Hook → Cruz Bay) and stay there for 3 nights.

7. On St John, We still stay at Westin St. John Resort & Villas. We still cannot decide to stay at the resort or the villas part? which is better? it seems the villas are on the other side of the hill (not facing ocean) and I am not sure how far we need to walk to the beach and the pool?

On the last day, we go back to STT airport to return the car and leave in the PM. Since I have never been to Virgin Islands before, I am not sure if there are any issues with my plan. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Jenny
Sorry I can't answer all your questions but here's my attempt at a few:

Inbound to STT from the US, you basically grab your bags and go just like a domestic flight.

Which BW are you looking at as there are two by the airport? The closer of the two is walkable but I'd be leary of it with kids. As to safe? It depends, no fears of robbery but the drivers can be crazy.

From either of the BWs it's a quick taxi ride to the ferry dock in Charlotte Amalie, hotel front desk can call a cab. Not sure of cost.

I'd say the plan to visit both Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda are quite ambitious and you are doing more hoping around then I usually would with kids, as it can be difficult to get around.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:41 pm

Hey all,

Wife and I are looking for somewhere to go in December. Curious about Scrub Island. Is the beach super nice? We're mainly looking to just relax, do a bit of snorkeling. Don't need a ton of activities, just want to unwind.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by jgroll57
Hey all,

Wife and I are looking for somewhere to go in December. Curious about Scrub Island. Is the beach super nice? We're mainly looking to just relax, do a bit of snorkeling. Don't need a ton of activities, just want to unwind.
I was there with my wife this past December. We loved the hotel. We have a 19 month old so it was the perfect spot for us to get away and relax. To answer your question - the beach is OK. There are three small beaches: one right by the main area of the resort which has about 15 or so lounge chairs. Then there is a beach on the other side of the island where staff will drive you via a golf cart (or you can walk it - maybe a mile but lot of hills). It was pretty quiet there. Lot of lounge chairs and small pool and beach bar. Good spot to hang to get away from the crowd. Then there is another beach which is only accessible via kayak/paddle board. It is close to the main beach. Basically secluded. No chairs or anything. The one knock we had, and its been mentioned by many on reviews on this site is the beaches are very rocky so you sort of need water shoes or something when walking into the water.

The pools are nice and we hung out a lot poolside. You get a lot of boaters doing longer catamaran trips that dock at the hotel and use the pools. We met a lot of people who were doing that and passing through for a night or two.

Excursion wise they have a company on site - Dive BVI who runs snorkeling and other trips. We did one trip over to Jost van Dyke (Soggy Dollar Bar) but we did not do it through Dive BVI since they had a private gig the day we wanted. We actually went through the individual who drives the resort shuttle, Captain D. He was fantastic and I'd highly recommend talking to him before you do anything.

Restaurants were good. Three on property...the beach bar, a casual dining spot and Caravela which is the higher end spot. The casual spot we thought was the best. Caravela we had read did a big surf and turf night on Saturdays but that is no longer. The head chef left (retired and built a place on the other side of the island which you can see from the beach) so they were going through transition when we were there. We ate there once and never went back. Same menu every night and food was eh. Others we talked to felt the same way. There was talk that they may convert it to a steakhouse so it remains to be seen. The casual spot was very good. There is another place on Marina Cay that was decent..very casual and they will take you to and from via ferry.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions. But if you are going someplace where you are just looking to relax, this is a very nice hotel.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, WN CP
My wife and I will be in the Virgin Islands Nov 7-15 and I'm thinking of changing the first 5 nights from Frenchman's Reef to Scrub Island. Our issue is that we arrive in St Thomas around 9 or 9:30 pm and I'm guessing there's no way to get to Scrub Island at that time of night?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Was looking to return possibly in 2017 last time we stayed we reserved a two bedroom unit on points but I cannot seem to find any availability online for any dates anyone have any luck?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
What dates are you looking for? I put in April and rooms for cash, cash+points and points only showed availability.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I stay at their sister hotel in Tampa and was told that this hotel got hammered by Irma yesterday. I checked the Marriott website and used the "flexible days" tool. All dates for the remainder of 2017 are inactive.

I was also told the 20 or so guests who could not get off the island are alive and well. ^

Now it looks as though Jose is lining up for a second round.

Be safe!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Saw in an industry newsletter that Scrub Island is closed until further notice due to Irma, so sounds like it will re-open sometime in 2018.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Saw in an industry newsletter that Scrub Island is closed until further notice due to Irma, so sounds like it will re-open sometime in 2018.
Evidently, most of the damage to the property was cosmetic (other than their backup generator ending up in the ocean). Restoring island infrastructure will be the big delay in reopening.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been following their Facebook page. Obviously their number one priority was getting guests to safety and making sure all their employees were safe and have a place to stay. They said they would post when they had a reopening date. The buildings look ok from the pics I saw but as posted above power and water is an issue as well as the infrastructure on the other islands to get people to/from.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I've been following their Facebook page. Obviously their number one priority was getting guests to safety and making sure all their employees were safe and have a place to stay. They said they would post when they had a reopening date. The buildings look ok from the pics I saw but as posted above power and water is an issue as well as the infrastructure on the other islands to get people to/from.
I read that Beef Island airport was destroyed. That's where you land for the ferry to Scrub.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I read that Beef Island airport was destroyed. That's where you land for the ferry to Scrub.
I think the whole area is "down" for large scale tourism for a good while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.