Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Marriott and Ritz-Carlton | Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 29, 11, 9:30 am   #1

Programs: UA Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, US/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Certificate expiration

Need some help and have not been able to find an answer by searching (user error?)

Is the date on the expiration the check-in or check-out...

Let's say I have one that expires 12/31/2011 - can I check in on 12/31 and use that cert?
fwfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 11, 9:43 am   #2

Programs: US AIR - CP, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
good as long as you check-in prior to expiration...
fredlisancnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 11, 2:25 pm   #3

Programs: UA Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, US/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Thanks
Old Dec 31, 11, 1:54 am   #4

The certificate I was planning to use today (12/31) just disappeared from my account before I could use it.
Moriens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 11, 2:01 pm   #5

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriens View Post
The certificate I was planning to use today (12/31) just disappeared from my account before I could use it.
Call the reservation line and see what they can do.
njcommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 11, 4:42 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcommodore View Post
Call the reservation line and see what they can do.
I did, and they found the certificate, so I guess it's merely another website problem.

Thanks, njcommodore! You saved me over a hundred bucks!

(Maybe the website doesn't show certificates if the expiration date is less than or equal to today's date, when they should be using strictly less than. Or it could be related to the problems in this thread.)
Moriens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 12, 12:42 pm   #7

Wish I had seen this earlier - looked yesterday and saw that they took 20,000 points from my account and the certificate is gone too....
Old Jan 19, 12, 12:56 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
Wish I had seen this earlier - looked yesterday and saw that they took 20,000 points from my account and the certificate is gone too....
This has happened to several people who have posted here, including me, although I haven't seen a good explanation of why Marriott seems to do this so often. Call MR and you should get the points back, assuming you used the certificate in time.

(Oh, just saw your post in the other thread. I didn't waste time emailing, just called them, they fixed it right away.)

Last edited by kar120c; Jan 19, 12 at 1:01 pm. Reason: Saw fwfdan post in other thread
kar120c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 12, 1:52 pm   #9

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
Question

Does anyone have any luck in getting these extended by 4 months or so? I've got two that expire May 31st but I'd love to be able to use them for a planned weekend vacation in early September. I am plat so I'm hoping they might be a little more willing to extend them. Thanks.
mclymerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 12, 9:36 pm   #10

Programs: DL PM/MM; MR Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclymerne View Post
Does anyone have any luck in getting these extended by 4 months or so?
I have not heard of a 4 month extension, but a Marriott Rewards Desk rep just informed me of a 30 to 60 day extension. Here's the background:

I redeemed a certificate last month for this upcoming weekend (5/11), and when I checked my reservation online today, it stated I do not have enough points to cover my stay (it did not say that prior to today). I called the reservation line and was told that since the cert expired on 5/7 and my reservation is for 5/11, my certificate is no longer valid. The agent transfered me the reward desk and that agent told me the certs will still be honored at least 30 days past expiration, and in some case up to 60 days past expiration - as long as the cert is attached to the reservation. Has anyone else heard of this?
waterbug111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 12, 5:26 am   #11

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - Plat
I received an extension on a cert last year, I don't remember if it was 4 or 6 months. Definitely one of the two.
njcommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 12, 6:32 am   #12
Used to be 'where2next'

Programs: MR Platinum
I have been granted an extension in the past. It is certainly worth calling and making the request. I usually say that I was hoping to use the certificate on my way to a future Marriott Vacation Club stay. They seem to agree if it seems like I want to use the certificate in a way that will generate more Marriott income.
KonaKid7052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 12, 7:29 am   #13

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott/LoewsFirst/PC Plat; Hilton Diamond;SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next View Post
It is certainly worth calling and making the request.
I definitely agree with this, but don't expect that Marriott will bend the rules every time or specifically for your situation.

There seems to be enough anectdotal evidence that an extension is possible, but that doesn't mean every agent will do it or that specific agents will do it every time.
Old May 9, 12, 1:19 pm   #14

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, CO/Star Platinum/Gold, National Executive Elite
For those who got your certificate extended, what type of certificate was it? The Marriott premier credit card annual CAT5 certificate, or the Megabonus CAT4 certificates? I heard it's easy to get the CAT5 extended, but not the CAT4.

I requested an extension for my CAT4 last year, but MR denied it. Fortunately, the hotel I was going to stay happily accepted my certificate after its expiration date. (Technically, I booked the stay before the expiration date, but had to push it back a week past the expiration date. The hotel changed the date of my reservation and took the certificate)
rickyriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 12, 3:29 am   #15

Programs: LH M&M, SK EB, UA MP, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Marriott Gold, A-Club Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold
I never get an extension for my certs. MR is very firm about this IME. I have no idea how the others got theirs extended.