FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Certificate expiration (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1296259-certificate-expiration.html)

peteyp97 Dec 29, 2006 10:12 pm

Certificate expiration

I have a travel cert for a Category 4 (Got it for signing up for my second MArriott Reward card) that expires this week, and I will be staying at a Category 4 next week. Will they allow the expiration date to be moved back?

imverge Dec 29, 2006 10:16 pm

Sorry no such luck. Certificate will become void.

Rontec Dec 30, 2006 12:16 am

Is it transferable?

Counsellor Dec 30, 2006 8:55 am

Most are not. It should say on the certificate.

Copilot23 Dec 30, 2006 9:02 pm

How would you be able to use it next week as an award stay if it isn't booked as an award stay? Award stays have to be reserved in advance. Although I've done same day award stays, I still had to go through the booking process.

On the other hand, it might be worth a try to call Marriott Rewards and see if they have mercy on you by cancelling the current certificate and reissuing another. Not sure what the outcome will be, but I've found them very helpful with other issues.

TOMSURFER Jan 10, 2007 9:59 am

In April 2006 I posted this on a different thread, and there was a response from BigLar questioning the accuracy of my post

=========================
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMSURFER
However I had a recent query on an outstanding hotel portion of a travel package and was told the following by e-mail "The Reward is an electronic certificate which does not expire like a
paper certificate after 12 months".

BigLar :

I recently had reason to talk with the folks at SLC. The CSR noticed that I had a travel package (hotel portion) due to expire in May, and she offered to extend it a year. I declined, figuring I would wait until May to do so (if I don't forget).

But the point is, as far as they were concerned, the cert would indeed expire.
========================

I can now confirm that the written statement I got from Marriott was incorrect - my hotel portion of a travelpackage did expire after 12 months as BigLar stated - in December 2006. However I have rung up TODAY and it has been reinstated for 12 months from today. :)

I don't know if this was because of my status - but I am obviously pleased by this.

Tom

jahason Jan 10, 2007 10:20 am

Sell it on ebay.

craz Jan 10, 2007 10:22 am

TomSurfer your certificate came from the pts in your acct. The OPs didnt come out of their acct but cause they got the Visa CC. I have a 7 night award cert that Ive been sending back for a number of yrs now as I dont find the time to use it (good to a Cat6), when I too called about getting an extentsion or a replacement for the Visa Cert I was told No Go on that, I asked what if I had taken the pts out of my acct, was told no problem they would reissue that one.

BigLar Jan 10, 2007 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by TOMSURFER (Post 6988448)
In April 2006 I posted this on a different thread, and there was a response from BigLar questioning the accuracy of my post

=========================
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMSURFER
However I had a recent query on an outstanding hotel portion of a travel package and was told the following by e-mail "The Reward is an electronic certificate which does not expire like a
paper certificate after 12 months".

BigLar :

I recently had reason to talk with the folks at SLC. The CSR noticed that I had a travel package (hotel portion) due to expire in May, and she offered to extend it a year. I declined, figuring I would wait until May to do so (if I don't forget).

But the point is, as far as they were concerned, the cert would indeed expire.
========================

I can now confirm that the written statement I got from Marriott was incorrect - my hotel portion of a travelpackage did expire after 12 months as BigLar stated - in December 2006. However I have rung up TODAY and it has been reinstated for 12 months from today. :)

I don't know if this was because of my status - but I am obviously pleased by this.

Tom

This was addressed in a further thread which I'm too lazy to look upright now, but:

craz is essentially correct, and this has been confirmed by Marriott Concierge, to wit - a cert that was paid for with points out of your account is extendable indefinitely. Which means, if you get a travel package, you can use the 7-nighter sometime between now and the time Marriott goes out of business.

The certs you get with the Visa card have definite expiration dates, typically 6 months after issue and they cannot be extended.

Since both myself and my wife have the visa card, it makes it possible for a nice free weekend getaway every year. :)

Finally, the certs do not appear to be transferable. In fact, we had a bit of a to do at checkin, because I had made the res for two nights in my name (to make sure of the platinum bennies) but the certs were one night apiece in each of our names. We straightened it out very quickly, but they did notice the name difference. IIRC, it states right on the cert that it is for use of the person named on the cert exclusively.

In reality you might get away with it.

TOMSURFER Jan 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar (Post 6990399)
This was addressed in a further thread which I'm too lazy to look upright now

Now I have found it !

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...66&postcount=5

Miles2go Jun 3, 2007 10:00 am

What to do with an expiring Cat 4 cert?

I have a category 4 certificate from the credit card offer which will expire soon. Not trave.ling in the next few weeks, so I was wondering if there is a way for me to deposit as points, or extend the certificate's lifetime?

Thanks!

gardener Jun 3, 2007 10:43 am

I believe it is use it or lose it.

Brendan Jun 3, 2007 12:59 pm

Sorry, T&Cs prohibit both those options, and they mean it! :(
The only rule that U can try to circumvent is non-transferability by making a res in both your name & that of the real guest who checks in and either says or implies that you'll be there later.

hhoope01 Jun 3, 2007 1:18 pm

Find a nice hotel fairly close by that you can use the cert at and take the SO there for a nice evening. I've done that a couple of times with some of my certs. It makes for a nice evening of fun. @:-)

Cargojon Jun 3, 2007 5:30 pm

What excellent timing of this post. I'm in the same boat - mine expires June 5.

Guess it's off to the new CY in town to check it out Monday night - we've been meaning to try it out for awhile now.