FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   iPad and Marriott's LG TVs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1293278-ipad-marriotts-lg-tvs.html)

dougef Dec 20, 2011 6:30 am

iPad and Marriott's LG TVs

I would like to play movies stored on my iPad on the new LG TV's in various Marriott properties. Has anyone successfully done this? If so, what connection did you use. Apple sells a Composite connector, VGA connector and Digital (HDMI) connector. I really don't want to invest in multiple connectors if there is one that will reliably work.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisLi Dec 20, 2011 6:38 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am not sure if my property is using the same lg tv but I have absolute no problem using HDMI to connect to it.

sh00t3r Dec 20, 2011 8:56 am

Depends on the property, but if the TV menu is "unlocked", meaning you can switch inputs, HDMI is probably going to be your best bet. I used to carry around a Logitech Harmony remote that would allow me to break into the "menu" if the hotel decided to lock it down.

dougef Dec 20, 2011 10:23 am

Originally Posted by sh00t3r (Post 17661102)
Depends on the property, but if the TV menu is "unlocked", meaning you can switch inputs, HDMI is probably going to be your best bet. I used to carry around a Logitech Harmony remote that would allow me to break into the "menu" if the hotel decided to lock it down.

So, unless I have an extra "tool", if the menu is locked, I am out of luck?

ChrisLi Dec 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It really depends from property to property. Some has a "av center" (JW HK / MR HK Skycity/ Ren Zhongshan Shanghai) that you only can connect via their connectors (VGA / Composite) and some other (CY Puxi / MR SIN) has bare LCD TV that you can just connect anything

What I guess is full service property you have better chance of VGA (as they kind of lock down the TV set for their paid tv setup). Anyway it's just one more connector to buy which doesn't cost you that much anyway (now I basically has all the apple connector they ever produced for iPad and MacBook .... Em....)

bmr12 Dec 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Dang, I don't know but if you figure it out I will be forever in your debt. I've googled around and tried various codes, but have been unable to unlock the LG tvs in a bunch of locations. I've only had one minor success--at a Fairfield in Iowa.

Jazzop Dec 20, 2011 10:21 pm

There are already several large threads in the travel technology forum about hacking hotel TVs. In Marriotts, the easiest thing to do is unplug the little RJ-45 (or the ilk) connecting the parasitic black box to the back of the TV. You lose the ability to use the remote control, but you gain the function of the hard buttons on the TV itself, and hence can change input sources. If the room has the desk with the multifunction patch panel, you can use VGA (D-sub) or HDMI to connect without doing any monkey business.

Moriens Dec 21, 2011 4:33 pm

I've used the HDMI adapter (“Apple Digital AV Adapter”) to connect my iPad and iPhone to the TV at several Marriott brands. (You'll also need an HDMI cable.)

It didn't take any kind of hacking. I just plugged into the plug-in panel on the desk (on the side of the TV case in a JW suite).

If you're buying a new adapter, HDMI is your best choice for both compatibility and resolution. In case it doesn't work (thought it likely will) you should be able to return the adapter. (Just don't buy an expensive brand-name HDMI cable if you can find a cheap one somewhere like Monoprice.) ShopMyWay mall will give you 1 Marriott Rewards point per dollar spent at the Apple Store.

I can't remember the brands of the TVs. (The JW Marriott Marquis Miami might have been Philips?? The TV was huge and played a jingle while turning on and off.)