Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Gift Card promos [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Gift Card promos [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mooper
I do it at check out, but I suppose they could take your info beforehand. I never wait more than a couple minutes for them to process. If they struggle to do it quickly, I just leave them the card info and tell them I have to go and to charge the GC accordingly. Never had a problem with that approach.

Yes.
I'm a frequent gift card user, and here's what I do. When I check in, I have them post a credit from the card against my bill, and I also give them my credit card for any additional expenses. When the expected balance would leave a balance on the card, this approach also has the advantage of being able to get the "remaining funds" left after the debit from the card.

On another note, a word of caution about the "free" hertz promo. Last year the promo provided $50 hertz voucher for each $250 spent in Gift Cards. Use of the voucher requires using the Marriott Rewards Group number which sometimes is FAR from the best available rate. In using the certificates, sometimes you are able to work around it, others not. Be sure to shop the rate to see if the voucher offers any real value to you.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by bobjob
I'm a frequent gift card user, and here's what I do. When I check in, I have them post a credit from the card against my bill, and I also give them my credit card for any additional expenses. When the expected balance would leave a balance on the card, this approach also has the advantage of being able to get the "remaining funds" left after the debit from the card.
I used to do that too but I was at CY Berlin checking in Saturday - doing the same thing told them to keep a copy of my card. The FD checked my card and said, 'you have a lot of $ in your card, but our manager now requires us to keep all the GCs and it won't be returned to you'. I said, 'I did it in June, and all you need is to take a copy and deduct whatever you need'. She insisted that's the way it is. Fortunately I had 2 nights so I got my bills settled on Monday with the manager.

I'm going to complain about to Marriott about this - this is absolutely unacceptable. I saw the Front Office Manager but I decided not to confront to him - I will go through Corporate instead.

So beware if you are intending to use your GC at CY Berlin.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by nacho
The FD checked my card and said, 'you have a lot of $ in your card, but our manager now requires us to keep all the GCs and it won't be returned to you'. I said, 'I did it in June, and all you need is to take a copy and deduct whatever you need'. She insisted that's the way it is.
Provide them with a copy (the card info) and walk out anyway. They will charge you, as they don't want your stay to be free. Keep your copy of the bill, and if the charge is incorrect, take it up with corporate after the fact.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by rylan
I thought the Hertz free day cert required the use of the code HTZ at checkout.

I've had two separate GC orders with the AMT promo... first one I didn't get the Hertz cert, second one I did. I probably won't use it anyway since it required 3day+ "full price" res, but found it odd that it showed up one time and not the other.
An update/correction to my earlier reply: I now see that the main gifts.marriott.com page says that promo code HTZ needs to be entered at checkout. This means that the offer is not supposed to be stackable with other offers. I'm not sure how to explain your experience then of getting the cert one time but not the other, combined with the AMT promo. Dumb luck, perhaps.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by bobjob
On another note, a word of caution about the "free" hertz promo. Last year the promo provided $50 hertz voucher for each $250 spent in Gift Cards. Use of the voucher requires using the Marriott Rewards Group number which sometimes is FAR from the best available rate. In using the certificates, sometimes you are able to work around it, others not. Be sure to shop the rate to see if the voucher offers any real value to you.
I've never been able to find a use for the Hertz certificates that isn't more costly than other -- non-MR -- rates. I don't even calculate them into the "value" of the promotions anymore.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Counsellor
I've never been able to find a use for the Hertz certificates that isn't more costly than other -- non-MR -- rates. I don't even calculate them into the "value" of the promotions anymore.
+1
Old Sep 22, 2012, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Counsellor
I found out about this about a year ago when I was trying to see if this promo is better than the 10%, but then I found out that since you can only use it with MR rates which means there will be no cash back, plus Hertz is more expensive than Avis in general in my case.

So 10% bonus is by far better than those useless vouchers.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any idea when the next Gift/Travel/Vacation Card 10% discount promo will be coming out, I'm getting low and lots of trips coming up. Thanks to all respondents in advance.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by danola
Any idea when the next Gift/Travel/Vacation Card 10% discount promo will be coming out, I'm getting low and lots of trips coming up. Thanks to all respondents in advance.
They tend to be more common in the fall and winter. When and if they return, I will post details in the master thread linked in my signature below.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Have there been any good Marriott Gift Card promotions lately? Would love to buy some at 80 or 90 cents on the dollar. I see this thread, other than first page, has been dormant for a while.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by beofotch
Have there been any good Marriott Gift Card promotions lately? Would love to buy some at 80 or 90 cents on the dollar. I see this thread, other than first page, has been dormant for a while.
None I'm aware of. When they arise, usually someone will alert in the master promo thread and I'll add it to the list... but nothing has been on the radar for quite some time. (Check the "boneyard" post - the second in that thread - to see how sparse recent history has been.)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As the economy continues to improve, you will see fewer promotions and for lower incentives....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.