Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Doha, Qatar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Doha, Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:09 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
As a frequent visitor and SPG guest in Doha, I thought I'd chime in... [repeatedly stayed in 3/4 of the SPG options there]

W: Easily the best W in Starwood's portfolio as it effortlessly blends awesome form with awesome substance. It opened back in 2009 but still manages to look incredible, trendy and relevant to this day and is holding up incredibly well. Constant upgrades every time as a Plat [I've now sampled all room types bar the Extreme Wow Suite], their WIP Lounge and free food/lounge perks/happy hour is a major stand out as W Hotels aren't designed to have lounges, their breakfast at Market is amazing, service is cool and professional and their spa is a class act, however expensive it is. Their pool is a bit of an afterthought but was just renovated and is leagues ahead of the old one, but still languishes in the shade due to the shape/design/layout of the building.

Westin: I love the W but this is the one that keeps me coming back. Massive new rooms [around two years old], absolutely excellent staff [Nadheema and Maja deserve particular shoutouts], very generous suite upgrades for Plats, spacious club lounge with great health-conscious presentations throughout the day with a great happy hour, huge spread at breakfast and wonderful pools and health club. All the style without the see-and-be-seen of the W; very highly recommended.

St. Regis: Got double-upgraded from a Deluxe Room to a Terrace Room to a John Jacob Astor Suite. Great facilities and a grand ambience, if a little anonymous. Staff are lovely, their breakfast is sumptuous, no happy hour or lounge perks so things can get pricey, location is a bit far, the pool is enormous and their Jacuzzi in the spa is worth the stay.

Hope this helps somehow!

khabah
EdV likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by sdsearch
At least for my booking in February (done a few weeks ago), the Marriott Marquis City Center Doha Hotel was on "points savers" at only 10000 Marriott Rewards points per night (though not that cheap on cash rates). That equates to 3333 SPG points (at 3:1 ratio). And with Gold or above status (native to Marriott or linked from SPG), you get lounge access.
I agree. The Marriott is the best value currently with Marriottwood. And its fairly central too, specially relative to the St. Regis.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:08 pm
azj

Doha properties

Not much info here regarding Marriott's Doha properties. I've got just shy of 24 hours in Doha during a long QR transit. I'll arrive early evening and leave late afternoon. I'm looking for a location that will be conducive for a quick visit to the city, relax in the hotel and return to the airport. I have gold status with Marriott/SPG and am also considering the W. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
When's your stay? There's another FTer in Doha for a similar quick stay. Would be interesting if you were there at the same time!

PS - After your stay, please do a trip report on the property if there's a property thread or start a new thread if there isn't one. Other FTers would appreciate it.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm due to stay at the Marriott Marquis City Center Doha (the one that's Point Saver for just 10k/night^) toward the end of the first full week of February, with my flight from LAX arriving in late afternoon/early evening and my flight onward to JNB leaving in the morning.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 21, 2017 at 9:58 am Reason: clarified that it's the Marquis
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:00 pm
azj

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
When's your stay? There's another FTer in Doha for a similar quick stay. Would be interesting if you were there at the same time!

PS - After your stay, please do a trip report on the property if there's a property thread or start a new thread if there isn't one. Other FTers would appreciate it.
I'll be there mid March. Still undecided between the Marriott Marquis or the W. Booking the W through Qatar Airways is way cheaper and includes breakfast, but I'd have to forego points and stay credit, which is blasphemous, I know. I may end up using points, as the stay is only 15k. I'll be sure to post back.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
after jumping on a last minute opportunity to spend NYE in DXB, I also spent 2 nights in DOH on the return back to the US and booked a room at Doha Marriott. A few things:

Check-in: there was about 40 people from Qatar Airways with vouchers who appear to have been on a flight cancellation and thankfully they all queued in one line and I was able to use the Elite line in a matter of seconds (through app check-in). No comment or recognition from check-in desk on elite membership.

Room: when we walked into our room on the 5th floor we realized we were facing the opposite direction from the city and into a gravel pit. The room was a standard room with a king size bed. I called back to the front desk to ask about changing rooms to a better view, was told they would call back in 5 minutes. 20 minutes later I went down to the front desk and spoke with the same individual who had checked us in and during the discussion about changing rooms, I asked about an upgrade as they were all available to still book. Employee stated, "we are not owned by Marriott, so we do not acknowledge elites or offer upgrades". I kinda stood there dumbfounded, not even know what to say in return. Finally, we were offered a room facing the water and downtown, but would be a few hours before it was ready. We accepted and went to the city. Upon returning later, the room was the same room as the other side, just a different side of the building but facing downtown and overlooking the pool. If you are in the old building, each room has a balcony, which is a major plus for me!

Lounge: I must say, one of the most enjoyable lounges I have been in, with the top floor view overlooking the skyline of Doha. Also, a massive walkout balcony with great views.

Restaurants: plenty of options, with a steakhouse, hibachi, mexican, american.

Pool/Beach: private beach with cabanas on the beach. The pool is in a bad position with the new tower directly in the sunlight, so the pool barely has any sunlight after 12 noon.

Overall: pretty good property, although it gets a downgrade on its handling of elite membership. An upgrade should not mean you are given a room with two single beds in a standard room simply b/c you are facing downtown.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:44 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Some
Any reviews of the RC Doha since the refurb began? I have an overnight layover coming up in Doha and trying to decide whether the RC is worth trying as it looks like they've done a great job with the rooms from the photos I've seen. Sharq Village is obviously a lot closer to DOH.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:25 pm

Anyone have experience with booking day rooms at Marriott hotels in Doha?

Arriving on an early flight and leaving 20 hours later. Sharq would be my first preference (being close to DOH) but was advised they "don't do day rooms" - with no alternative option offered.

Thinking I could potentially book it the night before and request a late check-out...but still leaves me checking out about 10hrs before the flight assuming I can even get a 4pm check-out. (I'm Gold).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:16 am

If you're going to be there for almost 20 hours, that's not really a day room. I think your best bet is to book a room, note that you'll be arriving early & then request late check-out which should cover the majority of your time there.

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:13 pm

Yea, I think we'll have to stop off at the hotel when we arrive, dump our bags and just ask for as early a check-in as possible. Should have slept on the plane so not super tired.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:07 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Which Doha SPG property if one is primarily interested in tourist activities, such as Islamic Arts Museum and Souq Waqif?

Not interested in pool or club scene of a hotel.

thanks,
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Which Doha SPG property if one is primarily interested in tourist activities, such as Islamic Arts Museum and Souq Waqif?

Not interested in pool or club scene of a hotel.

thanks,
There are four SPG properties in Doha - St Regis, W, Shearton and Westin.

In terms of proximity to IAM and Souq the St Regis is in Peal so it would be a quite a long drive/uber ride since you will go through the Corniche.

I've both stayed at the W and Shearton and the uber ride to IAM/Souq was at most 15 minutes and about 30 QAR (which about 7-8 USD) and had both a great experience but I would say Shearton is a better choice due to the closer proximity to the Corniche.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: AAEXP/Marriott Life Platinum
Doha this weekend

This Saturday and Sunday I want to spend time at the pool. I selected the Marriott nearer to the airport.
CALMSP above said the tower blocks the sun, but I wonder if thats year long or in January when the sun is low?
Otherwise, which hotel should I select?
Beach is OK, but prefer pool.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.