Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite night without staying (but paying)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv

I have attempted a few searches, but not found an answer. I am falling 2 night short of Platinum this year. If I make a reservation at a local hotel near me (or elsewhere if it is cost prohibitive), is there a way to get elite nights without physically staying? I would think if you pay for the entire bill you should be entitled to the nights, but I would also think you need to "check in" to ensure they don't cancel your reservation. Any thoughts on how to easily obtain 2 more nights?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Repeatedly asked and answered in MANY threads - if you do not phydically checkin (evn if you immediately checkout) NO points and NO stay credits per T&Cs....

Originally Posted by gwade
I have attempted a few searches, but not found an answer. I am falling 2 night short of Platinum this year. If I make a reservation at a local hotel near me (or elsewhere if it is cost prohibitive), is there a way to get elite nights without physically staying? I would think if you pay for the entire bill you should be entitled to the nights, but I would also think you need to "check in" to ensure they don't cancel your reservation. Any thoughts on how to easily obtain 2 more nights?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You do need to "check in" but you don't need to "physically stay". The general advice is to check in, go to the room, jump on the bed and move the sheets around, and leave.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Check with MR, though, before doing this. If you have been PM for the past few years, they may renew your status without your having to pay for nights you really don't need. They did that for me the one year I was a couple nights short and others have reported similar treatment.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
You do need to "check in" but you don't need to "physically stay". The general advice is to check in, go to the room, jump on the bed and move the sheets around, and leave.
I don't think you need to actually move the sheets around. I don't think the maid will report to Mr. Marriott if you didn't actually use the room. Lol.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
No, probably not. But if you're already at the property, you might as well have some fun.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Quote:

Originally Posted by CPRich

I don't think you need to actually move the sheets around. I don't think the maid will report to Mr. Marriott if you didn't actually use the room. Lol.
Moving the sheets is all the fun!!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Seriously now, I had a case that I didn't move the sheets (in another chain) and I didn't get the credit, because housekeeping reported the room as unused!!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
The room needs to look used, so muss up the bed, drop a towel on the bathroom floor, take the toilet paper home

I did once have housekeeping report I had left and was not using the room at a time I was checked in for 2 or 3 nights at a local hotel. After that, I messed up the room a little to make it look lived in. Never had the problem again.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Seriously now, I had a case that I didn't move the sheets (in another chain) and I didn't get the credit, because housekeeping reported the room as unused!!
BS.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
BS.
Well given the post directly above yours had the same experience as the other one, I wouldn't call it BS.

I've heard of it happening, so the few times I've done a local check-in for a promo I've used the towels or mussed the sheets to avoid the situation. Only takes a few seconds to do.

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:13 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well given the post directly above yours had the same experience as the other one, I wouldn't call it BS.
I agree. It may not happen every time (or even often), but I could see a hotel doing it. And since it takes very little effort to make the room look "used", why not quickly do that?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Here is my story

I needed a night and I needed a place to park at IAD as I was doing a same day turn. I booked a BOGO (yeah back then) so had two nights. I checked in, told them I had a car (before they put the hang tags in the cars) and then took the shuttle to IAD. I had my keys in my pocket but never went to the room. I think I went to the CL first though to get a soda

anyway, I did my MR and had MX on the return so I had to overnight at my turn point. I came back the next afternoon and dumped my stuff in my car. I decided I wanted to get a soda in the CL and then said, let me go see my room. I get there and my key didn't work. I go to the front desk and they said that because I never used the room (I guess housekeeping told them that morning) they re-sold the room.

I told them what I was doing and they gave me another room. I didn't use that one either but I did mess this one up.

So when time comes to see if my points posted, of course none did. It took me a long time to battle with MR to get that night to post. Although MR had no problems charging my CC for the first night.

ever since then, I've pretty much gone in and torn up the bed, threw towels on the floor, run the shower to get it wet etc
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I don't see the point in not messing up the bed. Do you seriously think that if the bed "looks" made they won't change the sheets for the next person? Yuck, what an awful thought. What if the room was used by some O/C who just likes to make his own bed?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I don't see the point in not messing up the bed. Do you seriously think that if the bed "looks" made they won't change the sheets for the next person? Yuck, what an awful thought. What if the room was used by some O/C who just likes to make his own bed?
So with that double negative, I presume you are saying you mess up the bed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.