Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by myb821
I am kind of annoyed. I tried to make a booking using the club upgrade for the Ritz Fort Lauderdale. The regular rate online was $259, when I called they said i had to pay the price of an ocean view room since all club rooms are ocean view. The rate for cheapest ocean view was $350. No where in the terms which I will quote below say anything about needing to book the same type of room. The only thing the terms say are not combinable with other offers.

From the chase site:
I understand the annoyance somewhat, but you have to be real about what to expect from the hotel. This is a consequence of how the Marriott reservation system works.

They have to book you for a room ... and then upgrade you. You have to deal with the same thing with free upgrades on car rentals: you can't upgrade from a car that's not available.

No matter what, the upgrades happen on check-in even if the management prepares with advanced noticed by your certificate, especially because it is contingent on paying with the ritz-carlton card which wouldn't be confirmed until check-in.

You should keep in mind that the reservation system can also work to your advantage because you can change the room reservation in the future if someone cancels the room at the rate you wanted to book and you can also ask for rate matches if the rate changes over time since you don't have to prepay.

If you don't have the flexibility to make other reservations at that time and the rate is too high that does suck, but I usually just pick another date if the hotel stay is that important for the trip.

Last edited by TReckoner; May 22, 2015 at 10:20 am
Old May 22, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by TReckoner
I understand the annoyance somewhat, but you have to be real about what to expect from the hotel. This is a consequence of how the Marriott reservation system works.

They have to book you for a room ... and then upgrade you. You have to deal with the same thing with free upgrades on car rentals: you can't upgrade from a car that's not available.

No matter what, the upgrades happen on check-in even if the management prepares with advanced noticed by your certificate, especially because it is contingent on paying with the ritz-carlton card which wouldn't be confirmed until check-in.

You should keep in mind that the reservation system can also work to your advantage because you can change the room reservation in the future if someone cancels the room at the rate you wanted to book and you can also ask for rate matches if the rate changes over time since you don't have to prepay.

If you don't have the flexibility to make other reservations at that time and the rate is too high that does suck, but I usually just pick another date if the hotel stay is that important for the trip.
That is not the issue the base room IS available. They said at this hotel because the Club rooms are ocean view the Upgrades can only be applied to ocean view rooms which are a higher rate.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:48 am

That is not the issue the base room IS available. They said at this hotel because the Club rooms are ocean view the Upgrades can only be applied to ocean view rooms which are a higher rate.
Yeah, I guess that scenario is a bit different, since you can't get out of having to upgrade from ocean view ever. That scenario is a pain, but still I don't know what else you could expect if the hotel management decided not to build standard club level rooms in the hotel. They would literally have to discount the rate on an ocean view room down to a standard and then apply the upgrade, which would be confirmed on check-in.

Have you stayed there before? I would pay the difference if I thought the place was worth it still, but otherwise I'd plan on going somewhere else. I don't frequent Florida at all, so I can't speak to this particular hotel.

Another option would be FHR which gives extra perks with food, though it's not as good as club lounge access if you really want to stay, but don't want to pay for ocean view. That's why i got both cards, since the certs are no where near reliable for using casually and must be pretty well planned. For some reasons there are times that hotel won't even accept them at all, which happened to me while trying to book in San Juan for a particular weekend.

Last edited by TReckoner; May 23, 2015 at 7:53 am
Old May 22, 2015, 11:17 am

Yeah, I guess that scenario is a bit different, since you can't get out of having to upgrade from ocean view ever. That scenario is a pain, but still I don't know what else you could expect if the hotel management decided not to build standard club level rooms in the hotel. They would literally have to discount the rate on an ocean view room down to a standard and then apply the upgrade, which would be confirmed on check-in.

Have you stayed there before? I would pay the difference if I thought the place was worth it still, but otherwise I'd plan on going somewhere else. I don't frequent Florida at all, so I can't speak to this particular hotel.

Another option would be FHR, although it's not as good as club level if you really want to stay and want extra perks with food, but don't want to pay for ocean view. That's why i got both cards, since the certs are no where near reliable for using casually and must be pretty well planned. For some reasons there are times that hotel won't even accept them at all, which happened to me while trying to book in San Juan for a particular weekend.
Sorry enlighten me, FHR? And my issue is more with the terms of the Certificate. No where does it say it needs a specific eligble room or rate. All it says is
E-Certificate is required, is non-transferable, and not combinable with other offers. Not valid on corporate or other promotional rates.
. If there are going to be other restrictions than they should be spelled out!
Old May 22, 2015, 11:46 am

Sorry enlighten me, FHR? And my issue is more with the terms of the Certificate.
FHR = Fine Hotels & Resorts
It's a benefit to AMEX Platinum & Centurion card holders, that lets you prepay for rooms at highly rated hotels through AMEX travel and get multiple room category upgrades (not including club lounge access, even if the room is on the club level), varying amounts of hotel credit/free meals/free services, and other perks regardless of status with the hotel.

You can read more about people's experiences here.

No where does it say it needs a specific eligble room or rate. All it says is . If there are going to be other restrictions than they should be spelled out!
I guess they could say something like "E-Certificates can only be applied to room types that are available at the club level." Although I'm sure they thought it would be implied. Might be something to bring up at Marriott Insiders.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
While I understand why they do it, the insistence only make sense when you think about the hotel revenue.

What you really get with the certificate is club access. There is really no upgrade to the room, only an additional access to the club.

So from a revenue point the hotel will not want to sell the basic room with club access when selling a room to the public. However, this is not a reason not to sell the basic room and provide club access.

I highly doubt that they would refuse a customer staying in a basic room a cash upgrade to the club; and the same logic should apply to the certificate.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:00 pm

Hey, sorry if this has already been asked, but curious if anyone has been successful getting Chase to reimburse for the yearly fee for gogo as the airline benefit? Thanks!
Old May 25, 2015, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Hey, sorry if this has already been asked, but curious if anyone has been successful getting Chase to reimburse for the yearly fee for gogo as the airline benefit? Thanks!
Very unlikely. The benefit is a credit for qualifying airline incidental purchases (and Global Entry fees). Lessening your odds even more are the recent reports of JPM being more restrictive in what charges are approved.
Old May 25, 2015, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Very unlikely. The benefit is a credit for qualifying airline incidental purchases (and Global Entry fees). Lessening your odds even more are the recent reports of JPM being more restrictive in what charges are approved.
Hum...Are you sure, because this is in the fine print:

Travel Credit:
To request a statement credit to apply towards qualifying airline incidental Net Purchase(s) made with your Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card, you must contact J.P. Morgan Priority Services at the number on the back of your Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card within 4 billing cycles of the purchase date. Only the following types of non-ticket Net Purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight internet/entertainment; in-flight meals; Global Entry fees.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Hum...Are you sure, because this is in the fine print:
I'm comfortable with my comment, but feel free to test it and prove me wrong.

These credits are not a negotiation. JPM makes the final call and reasonableness factors into the decision. No problem with a day pass. Maybe a monthly pass would be approved. An annual pass ($399 the last time I looked) that exceeds the $300 benefit? I don't think so, but knock yourself out.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
While I understand why they do it, the insistence only make sense when you think about the hotel revenue.

What you really get with the certificate is club access. There is really no upgrade to the room, only an additional access to the club.

So from a revenue point the hotel will not want to sell the basic room with club access when selling a room to the public. However, this is not a reason not to sell the basic room and provide club access.

I highly doubt that they would refuse a customer staying in a basic room a cash upgrade to the club; and the same logic should apply to the certificate.
To be totally honest im more upset with card. If there are going to be limitations on how the "club upgrades" are used thye should need to be specified in the terms of the offer. And they are not.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond

Not entirely true that it happens on check in. My reservation now says club level, but it says i'll only receive the $100 hotel credit if I pay with my ritz card. Nothing about losing my club level room if I don't pay with my ritz card. #Loophole

I'd HUCA and ask another agent. Make sure you're calling the ritz carlton reservations line and not the marriott reservations line. keep hanging up and calling back until they tell you what you want to hear. 60% of the time, it works every time.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium

Please don't spread misinformation.... When using the club level upgrade certificates you are confirmed into Club Level at time of booking not when checking into the hotel.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Gold; Hyatt: Diamond
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
From what I understand to prevent overcrowding of the Ritz lounges, they only allow access to the club lounge to guest staying on the club floor, so they would be upgrading the room and booking you onto the floor. That said, I think having to pay more to utilize a benefit of a credit card with a high annual fee is really disappointing.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by 4bangn
From what I understand to prevent overcrowding of the Ritz lounges, they only allow access to the club lounge to guest staying on the club floor
You misunderstand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.