Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Jay K
Ha, the wife and I are both a little embarrassed of the unwanted attention the heavy metal card draws; For some reason it also "feels" ridiculous to me. We also wish it was plain plastic... or if they wanted to go fancy, maybe carbon fiber?
Just out of curiosity, why would you be embarrassed by the fact the card is metal? I might occasionally get a "that's cool or different" but nothing that would embarrass me due to "unwanted attention". Besides, these days, how many times are you actually giving a clerk/worker the card except at a hotel or restaurant? I'm happy it's made of metal and not plastic, that way I'm not having to get it replaced every six months.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Jay K
Ha, the wife and I are both a little embarrassed of the unwanted attention the heavy metal card draws; For some reason it also "feels" ridiculous to me. We also wish it was plain plastic... or if they wanted to go fancy, maybe carbon fiber?

You can request a plastic card.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by bosman
Applied online 1 week ago and got an email saying they'll let me know if I'm approved within 30 days. Like, when we did we go back to the 80s? Hello, 2015 calling, we expect approval in 30 seconds, not 30 days!

I'm not planning on following up to push this along; at this point I am more interested in seeing how long it takes and what their decision is than getting a quick answer. Yes, took screen shots of the online offer of 140k miles in case they tell me down the road that that offer has expired.
Update: applied on Jan 8 as noted above. This week I saw on my MR acct page online that the club upgrade certs were deposited on Jan 25. Got the card (plastic version) on Jan 30. None of the voluminous literature that accompanied the card mentioned the 140k bonus points, so I called and they confirmed that that was part of the deal. Success!

Apologize if this is a dumb question or perhaps addressed up-thread, but the card says one gets RC Platinum status if one spends > $75k per year. Since I signed up using my MR account, would that automatically translate into MR Plat?

TIA
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1.5MM 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by bosman
Update: applied on Jan 8 as noted above. This week I saw on my MR acct page online that the club upgrade certs were deposited on Jan 25. Got the card (plastic version) on Jan 30. None of the voluminous literature that accompanied the card mentioned the 140k bonus points, so I called and they confirmed that that was part of the deal. Success!

Apologize if this is a dumb question or perhaps addressed up-thread, but the card says one gets RC Platinum status if one spends > $75k per year. Since I signed up using my MR account, would that automatically translate into MR Plat?

TIA
Funny, I actually didn't notice until your post that my package didn't include the 140K offer which was the whole reason I signed up for this card in the first place (duh!). I just called Chase and confirmed the 140K offer, and while at the same time, had them credit me the $300 towards my American Airlines lounge pass I purchased. So far smooth sailing with this whole process.

As for your question, I believe you'd be awarded MR Platinum status once you hit $75K since you are a MR member. My perspective is there is no program difference between Marriott and RC so it shouldn't matter. However, would a RC property be more willing to upgrade you for being a member of their Platinum program (name only) vice Marriott? Perhaps, but it isn't supposed to be the case. You earn the same staying in either property, and get the same perks. I've actually considered switching from MR to RC, just for amusement purposes, but have yet to do so. Everything I've read has basically said there is no value in switching.

Last edited by daberlin; Jan 31, 2015 at 10:22 am
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by daberlin
Funny, I actually didn't notice until your post that my package didn't include the 140K offer which was the whole reason I signed up for this card in the first place (duh!). I just called Chase and confirmed the 140K offer, and while at the same time, had them credit me the $300 towards my American Airlines lounge pass I purchased. So far smooth sailing with this whole process.

As for your question, I believe you'd be awarded MR Platinum status once you hit $75K since you are a MR member. My perspective is there is no program difference between Marriott and RC so it shouldn't matter. However, would a RC property be more willing to upgrade you for being a member of their Platinum program (name only) vice Marriott? Perhaps, but it isn't supposed to be the case. You earn the same staying in either property, and get the same perks. I've actually considered switching from MR to RC, just for amusement purposes, but have yet to do so. Everything I've read has basically said there is no value in switching.
The only difference in the programs is the promos. Right now, for instance, ritz is doing double elite night credits.

Also, Ritz gold/platinum doesn't get you club access (at ritz hotels) afaik. But you will get club access in a FS marriott

Last edited by jsucool76; Jan 31, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
anyone still having luck when calling in to get reinbursement for aa gift card purchases?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I applied for the card the beginning of this year and purchased a DL Skyclub Executive Pass. Called the Chase/JP line to get the credit and 2 minutes later, it was done. Two days later the $300 statement credit appeared on my account. I know opinions vary drastically on the value of this card, but for me, it has been a no-brainer. I have saved $300 on a lounge pass I was already planning on buying and add to that the 140,000 points from the sign-up bonus....well, one very happy consumer here. As far as the metal card goes, I like it and I see it as a more durable option to plastic. Even the Marriott Card, which I hold as well, had to be sent back six months in because the plastic laminate on the aluminum core started to peel and catch on things. I MAY stay at a Ritz Carlton and try and take advantage of the Club Level cert's, but they are certainly not the reason I signed up for the card. If I feel I can get some value out of them where I am going, then great, if not, I'll take my biz over to the JW, but I am sure they will come in handy and save me some money on a Club Level upgrade in the future, just have to check with the Rewards line and see what kind of price I'll have to pay for the upgrade. PRIMARY rental car coverage is pretty spectacular considering the Marriott card only has secondary coverage. Haven't used the Lounge Club card yet, but considering they comp unlimited access to the lounges for you and offered my Girlfriend a card as well since she is an authorized user, well, that was pretty awesome. Anyway, I plan to continue to use this card for Marriott's/Ritz's, Rentals, and eating out which should cover the 10k to keep me at Gold. Love the card so far.

Originally Posted by daberlin

Last edited by stratman560; Feb 1, 2015 at 2:23 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:47 am

Anybody else get snotty CSRs on the RC phone line? I've called twice to upgrade to club level. First time I upgraded, the CSR questioned how I already had Z34 booked as if I was some kind of deviant. I called for a 2nd upgrade over the weekend: here is a summation of conversation for your enjoyment:

Me: I'd like to upgrade my reservation on May X for two nights at XYZ to club level.
CSR: Ok. I see that you are already booked for the $100 credit for 2 nights.
Me: Yes, I booked online under Z34, but I have to call to get the UG Z38 processed.
CSR: Ok. Let me see if I can do that. Looks like you can do that. (tone changes) Why are you only using it for only 2 nights when you can use it for 7?
Me: Because I'm only going to be in XYZ for 2 nights.
CSR: Wouldn't you want to use this for another reservation then?
Me: (in nicest tone even though i'm frustrated) I have 3 upgrades and I only have 2 Ritz stays planned for 2015.
CSR: Well, uhm, OK.... (finishes processing).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Anybody else get snotty CSRs on the RC phone line? I've called twice to upgrade to club level. First time I upgraded, the CSR questioned how I already had Z34 booked as if I was some kind of deviant. I called for a 2nd upgrade over the weekend: here is a summation of conversation for your enjoyment:

Me: I'd like to upgrade my reservation on May X for two nights at XYZ to club level.
CSR: Ok. I see that you are already booked for the $100 credit for 2 nights.
Me: Yes, I booked online under Z34, but I have to call to get the UG Z38 processed.
CSR: Ok. Let me see if I can do that. Looks like you can do that. (tone changes) Why are you only using it for only 2 nights when you can use it for 7?
Me: Because I'm only going to be in XYZ for 2 nights.
CSR: Wouldn't you want to use this for another reservation then?
Me: (in nicest tone even though i'm frustrated) I have 3 upgrades and I only have 2 Ritz stays planned for 2015.
CSR: Well, uhm, OK.... (finishes processing).
IMO sounds like operator was trying to be helpful as to suggestion to save upgrade for 7 night stay, albeit it didn't apply to your specific situation. Maybe tone of voice?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:05 am

Yes, I pointed out the tone changed. It was unprofessional like she was talking down to me. I left the part out where she put me on hold without telling me as she tried to apply Z38. And being helpful is irrelevant, I'm the customer and I have made a decision how to use my upgrades. CSRs are not supposed to question the decision a customer makes. If she saw I had 8 RC reservations I could possibly understand, but it seemed like I was treated as a dunce for not using the full 7 days. All in all, the MR CSRs are always helpful and follow my directions and I've never had an incident like these two over 50+ phone calls.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:11 am

I plan to stay for 3 nights at the RC Fort Lauderdale. If I book one night with cash and apply club level upgrade, then book the next 2 nights with points, will they make me switch rooms after the first night?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
And being helpful is irrelevant, I'm the customer and I have made a decision how to use my upgrades. CSRs are not supposed to question the decision a customer makes. If she saw I had 8 RC reservations I could possibly understand, but it seemed like I was treated as a dunce for not using the full 7 days.
Not all MR members are aware of rules or knowledgeable as to options. There are other situations where folks would find a csr pointing out options (which may or may not be helpful depending on the situation) to be helpful, again depending on the way it is presented. You took her comments personally as if she was implying you were a "dunce." This was not likely how it was intended, but you were the one on the phone and in a position to judge.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
Not all MR members are aware of rules or knowledgeable as to options. There are other situations where folks would find a csr pointing out options (which may or may not be helpful depending on the situation) to be helpful, again depending on the way it is presented. You took her comments personally as if she was implying you were a "dunce." This was not likely how it was intended, but you were the one on the phone and in a position to judge.
LOL. I said she was acting snotty by questioning my decision TWICE and there you go ranting as if I'm a bad person for pointing it out. I can't call out two weird/bad experiences with RC CSRs when I haven't had one at all with MR CSRs? You off the soapbox yet?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
I plan to stay for 3 nights at the RC Fort Lauderdale. If I book one night with cash and apply club level upgrade, then book the next 2 nights with points, will they make me switch rooms after the first night?
Yes, but you can always ask to stay in same room. Worst thing that happens when you ask politely is they say, "no."
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:50 pm

Auto Rental Insurance Coverage

Is primary insurance coverage offered to authorized users on the card also, when renting a car?

Also, how long (after CC received) did the club card take for it to be mailed out, and did they mailed one to the authorized user club card at the same time?

Originally Posted by stratman560
PRIMARY rental car coverage is pretty spectacular considering the Marriott card only has secondary coverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.