Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
I am a SPG Platinum & Hilton Gold along with Plat Premier at Marriott. I give all the chains my business. My posting here is the hope Marriott will fix these issues. I don't see what a post about the Ritz credit card has to do with an issue I had with a hotel not honoring the plat guarantee. You had issues with Marriot (Incorrect Online Booking Inventory?) why do you stay with them?

I would hope others who pay the $400 for a Ritz card will join me in asked Ritz/JP Morgan to offer the promised benefits.

Last edited by welookgood.com; Aug 8, 2011 at 7:51 am
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold
1) Received the 50,000 points in my account at the closing of my first statement.

2) Was able to get PriorityPass issued to my additional cardholder by contacting the concierge.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by welookgood.com
My stay is for over $2k and 5 days. $100 credit on food would be minor since my food bill is likely to be quite high. And was told no
$2k for 5 nights? That's a pretty low number for 5 nights at an RC. You said earlier in your post that you are travelling during peak season for this hotel. Let's say you don't eat much and only do breakfast each morning for two people ($40 x 2 + tip and drinks = ~$100 x 5) and dinner and a single drink without any wine ($150 x 2). That only leaves $1200, or $240/night, for your base room rate, taxes, and resort fees, which is pretty darn cheap for any RC, not to mention an RC in peak season. My math also assumes no spa services, no room service, no lunch, and no food service pool/ocean-side. My point is, it isn't like RC is laughing all the way to the bank with the proceeds from this stay.

On a side note, I'm not all that crazy about the way RC is going about introducing this new credit card. I've always expected the money I spend on staying at an RC to be justified by the quality of the property and the hotel's service, location, and amenities. I always thought this way RC's underlying logic in denying elite benefits for MR members up until recently. "Out hotel is worth $599, so even as an elite you shouldn't need an incentive to stay here." I sincerely hope, given the introduction of elite benefits, a loyalty program, and now the branded credit card, that RC isn't changing its formula to something like "hotel quality + loyalty/affinity = value of room".

RC has, for the most part, done a really good job reasonably maintaining standards despite the considerable economic stress of late and despite being further integrated in to the Marriott family. I hope that isn't starting to change now.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
I didn't include food calculations in my estimate. It's about $2300 for the 5 nights which is a little under $500 a night including taxes and fees. Food will be expensive, that's why a $100 credit which the Ritz credit card advertises should not be made impossible to get on such a high bill (in relation to the credit)
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I called the main number to request a second priority pass for my additional cardholder and was denied. I will probably try the concierge number later to see if my luck improves.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: CX GO, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, PC Plat Amb, MR Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by No Clue
I called the main number to request a second priority pass for my additional cardholder and was denied. I will probably try the concierge number later to see if my luck improves.
Call the concierge, not the CS number. I now have 4 priority passes on hand (all with "SELECT" logo on it) for me and 3 additional card holders.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Originally Posted by mizuou
Call the concierge, not the CS number. I now have 4 priority passes on hand (all with "SELECT" logo on it) for me and 3 additional card holders.
^
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Has anybody actually received that 50,000 bonus points after first use credited to their accounts yet? Offer details state "After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus points to post to your account.", but I'm not sure if this is 6 to 8 weeks after the actual card use, or 6 to 8 weeks after the statement is sent.
Mine posted along with the points accrued when/shortly after my first statement was issued, so it took about a month from first use. May have been sooner, as I wasn't checking them frequently.

Hope that helps.

O/H
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Chari910
Will the Gold status for the first year apply to Marriott as well?
Yes, (as Innerloop indicated). I note that I formerly had separate MR and RC numbers, however, when my card arrived, my RC # had been merged into my MR account, which was what was emblazoned on the back of the card. When I checked my account (logging in from the RC site) I had points/days from a stay at a JWM earlier in the year.

O/H
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
************** WARNING ***************

AIRLINE CLUB RENEWAL OR MEMBERSHIP FEES DO NOT COUNT AS AIRLINE INCIDENTALS!!!!

I am happy I renewed my AAdmirals Club membership and found this out now instead of a month or so down the road. As a result I just cancelled my RC Visa and they refunded my membership fee as I was within the first 30 days. I spoke with both a CSR and her supervisor about this. FWIW, I also complained about their false advertising.

1) According to J.P. Morgan Priority Services what constitutes airline incidentals includes the following: Food purchases on board, luggage fees, and airlines club DAY passes (yeah, I know, and I tried to use logic with these people). FF elite and those who fly business or first class have nothing they can apply to the annual $200 credit for airline incidentals.

2) Higher rates for RC Visa F&B $100 credit rate Z34.

3) Can't apply upgrades to existing reservations. They would have to rebook at higher rate: $395 vs my current rate of $256.

It seems J.P. Morgan is marketing this card to the economy leisure passengers who travels infrequently and doesn't mind shelling out $395 a year for a cool looking CC. Seems like a small target market to me.

Caveat emptor.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:55 pm

Chase is trying very hard to steal Amex Platinum cardmembers, but so far with a quite a few glitches.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
How are those points accounted for if you stay with MR? Are they now Marriott points?

Bump, since no one answered the question. Do all points from this credit card go to you Marriott Rewards account or are they somehow recorded as RC points?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Bump, since no one answered the question. Do all points from this credit card go to you Marriott Rewards account or are they somehow recorded as RC points?
the accounts are merged - you can find your answer in MR terms and conditions: you cannot have two accounts.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cardtracker
Has anybody actually received that 50,000 bonus points after first use credited to their accounts yet? Offer details state "After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus points to post to your account.", but I'm not sure if this is 6 to 8 weeks after the actual card use, or 6 to 8 weeks after the statement is sent.
50K points posted within a week after first purchase plus three e-certificates for the club upgrades are in account.
Points were posted today. It took longer because it took me awhile to get around to actually using the card, so the purchase didn't get applied until the second statement. But the points came as soon as the second statement came out.

I do, however, have a bone to pick with this:
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
Earn 5 Ritz-Carlton Rewards points per $1 spent at The Ritz-Carlton*
This is not entirely true. The place where I used my Ritz-Carlton card was a restaurant within a Ritz-Carlton. But because I was not staying at the Ritz-Carlton at the time, the purchase is classified as "Non Ritz-Carlton purchase", so it only earned one point per dollar spent. It probably mentions this somewhere in the fine print, but I still plan on calling in to complain about this misleading advertising.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:21 pm

the purchase is classified as "Non Ritz-Carlton purchase", so it only earned one point per dollar spent. It probably mentions this somewhere in the fine print, but I still plan on calling in to complain about this misleading advertising.
Chase is notorious in mis-classifying purchases from my experience with Hyatt card: numerous times had to call and points manually corrected, be it Andaz stay or dining within hotels. This usually gets corrected if inquired about, it's not that hard for them to do, since it's incremental points. Easiest to email Chase through their website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.