Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:28 am
Suspended

No, I don't think he is demanding but the first couple of things he mentioned come with caveats that are not very well spelled out or mentioned in the credit card offering materials but have been mentioned elsewhere in other threads in this forum -- a simple search will reveal these.

Specifically, the credit card will increase your point acquisition at Ritz Carltons and elsewhere and staying at RCs -- unlike the 4 Seasons which does not have a points rewards program -- permits you to earn free night awards at R/Cs (or other Marriott family hotels should you deign to stay at these ) , unlike the 4 Seasons.

That is it. If you can use the upgrade certs and discounts under their restrictions so be it, but don't count on it.

With respect to not honoring Gold status with free internet, I think this is just a reflection of desk agents being unfamiliar with the program, as is your not getting points. When you called you did get your points so you were booking rates that qualified.

However, you stayed at R/Cs before the rewards program was instituted and you still stay at 4 Seasons without any points program.

So my advice to you is the following, you can stay at RCs without getting any points and the hassle involved in same, or you can pursue your points like you have to do now. It's that simple and it likely will get better as more agents become familiar with the program, but you will just have to suck it up until then, or just stay more often at 4 Seasons where you don't get any points at all.

I should add that you do have a couple of other choices as Fairmont just switched to a points based program, Hilton is growing the Waldorf Astoria brand, and Starwood has the St. Regis and Luxury Collection high end brands, among others like the W and Westin hotels. All of the foregoing now have points based programs, so RC is not the only kid on the block. @:-)
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
And here I am disappointed with what Plat's get at my main Renaissance for business. I'd rather get nothing and have my company put me up at the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons.

Nonetheless, if the T&Cs aren't obvious when signing up for the card, OP has a valid point. Shouldn't have to do a search.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan

Nonetheless, if the T&Cs aren't obvious when signing up for the card, OP has a valid point. Shouldn't have to do a search.
Correct. That is why I stated that he is not being demanding, he is just gobsmacked that what appeared to be a straightforward benefit is somewhat illusory.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I agree that the terms of the $100 credit aren't crystal clear, but they aren't hidden either. I learned the restrictions after a couple of extra clicks.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I agree that the terms of the $100 credit aren't crystal clear, but they aren't hidden either. I learned the restrictions after a couple of extra clicks.
So let's say you book a room using the reservation number provided with the card materials to receive the perks (not my usual TA), pay rack rate, and have the front desk at a less than half occupied hotel tell you that there are no upgrades available and that there is no such thing as a $100 credit for the rate I booked?

I presume, according to your standards, that I should read the materials further to see what I did wrong, figure out why I don't understand hotel rates, and why I am so demanding?

I asked to see the front desk manager, who confirmed the $100 credit, but did not feel that it was a mistake on their part. It was presented more as a favor, which I found quite peculiar.

After staying in these properties for hundreds, if not thousands, of nights over the course of my career, I'd consider myself rather proficient on what is promotional and what is standard with regards to rates.

Again, to reiterate the theme of my post. This is the Ritz Carlton. If you are going to do a loyalty program, why do it in a way that seems counterintuitive to the luxury lifestyle. If someone is consistently paying $400+night for your hotel room and a $400 annual fee for your credit card, it appears strange you would make the terms of your relationship anything but explicit.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by rbarr24
So let's say you book a room using the reservation number provided with the card materials to receive the perks (not my usual TA), pay rack rate, and have the front desk at a less than half occupied hotel tell you that there are no upgrades available and that there is no such thing as a $100 credit for the rate I booked?

I presume, according to your standards, that I should read the materials further to see what I did wrong, figure out why I don't understand hotel rates, and why I am so demanding?

I asked to see the front desk manager, who confirmed the $100 credit, but did not feel that it was a mistake on their part. It was presented more as a favor, which I found quite peculiar.

After staying in these properties for hundreds, if not thousands, of nights over the course of my career, I'd consider myself rather proficient on what is promotional and what is standard with regards to rates.

Again, to reiterate the theme of my post. This is the Ritz Carlton. If you are going to do a loyalty program, why do it in a way that seems counterintuitive to the luxury lifestyle. If someone is consistently paying $400+night for your hotel room and a $400 annual fee for your credit card, it appears strange you would make the terms of your relationship anything but explicit.
"[T]housands of nights" in Ritz-Carltons? OK.

Of course, you should have received the booked package credit. If the facts are as you describe, perhaps you could have escalated your discussion to the DRO or GM.

The RC loyalty program is quite explicit. The bigger issue seems to be with Chase. It either needs to loosen the restrictions on its promised RC benefits or more clearly portray their limitations.

I stand by my earlier opinion:

The OP might be a bit more demanding than he thinks.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Agree 100%.

I also appreciate the OP being detailed about the difficulties experienced in his post & not doing a DYKWIA thing.

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:53 pm

"[T]housands of nights" in Ritz-Carltons? OK.
Upon reflection, I might be shy of 1000, although I did live in a RC for 4 months, so it's close. Either way, I'm very familiar with the brand.

Of course, you should have received the booked package credit. If the facts are as you describe, perhaps you could have escalated your discussion to the DRO or GM.
I have had the privilege of engaging numerous GMs over the years and would prefer to not discuss topics like this. I would never engage a GM for $100 credit, even if I was clearly entitled to it, for no other reason than personal preference.

The RC loyalty program is quite explicit. The bigger issue seems to be with Chase. It either needs to loosen the restrictions on its promised RC benefits or more clearly portray their limitations.
Here is where you lose me dayone.......if the program is so explicit, then how are multiple RC employees (compensated to provide luxury service) at multiple properties confused by it? How come people complain of getting different answers by different RC CSR's each time they call. You may be sympathetic with the complexity of disseminating information about new programs, but I do draw the line where it creates a conflict with the goals and missions of the brand. I pay a premium for premium service and premium experiences. Having to escalate to a GM every time I stay about something that should be clear is not what I consider a good behavior of a luxury brand.

Chase service has been exemplary. Chase has upheld every term on their end and always has gone above and beyond to sort out any confusion in a very customer focused fashion. Chase isn't standing at the Ritz Carlton front desk. Chase isn't picking up the phone at Ritz Carlton reservations. Chase isn't setting policies on how Ritz Carlton redeems club level certs or room credits. In fact, Chase intentionally distances itself in the program information by saying they have nothing to do with how the perks are issued.

I don't mind if someone with your views finds me demanding......it's actually why I pay a premium to stay at places like a Ritz Carlton.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:29 pm

I have had the privilege of engaging numerous GMs over the years and would prefer to not discuss topics like this. I would never engage a GM for $100 credit, even if I was clearly entitled to it, for no other reason than personal preference.
I hope that you did read that I recommended progressive escalation.

You are entitled to your personal preference. Since you are so experienced talking to GMs, I'm surprised that you don't agree that most (if not all) GMs would like to be made aware of a service lapse, especially one dealing with an ongoing marketing program.

Chase issues the card so Chase is responsible for defining and explaining its benefits. If RC does not deliver the benefits as described, Chase should certainly be informed.

I'm 3-for-3 on Club Level upgrades on corporate rates since having the card, including one upgrade that was specifically attributed to card membership. My experience suggests that any problems are not systemic.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:37 pm

Since you are so experienced talking to GMs, I'm surprised that you don't agree that most (if not all) GMs would like to be made aware of a service lapse, especially one dealing with an ongoing marketing program.
I am not entirely concerned with what a GM would or would not want to be made aware of regarding service lapses. I engage only when I feel it's necessary.

Chase issues the card so Chase is responsible for defining and explaining its benefits. If RC does not deliver the benefits as described, Chase should certainly be informed.
I have 5 Chase cards. Only this one has led to confusion. Not a single topic relating to the card issuer has ever been confusing in my experience. In fact, in areas that could be confusing (i.e. airline incidentals), they have consistently erred on the side of being generous to me. Marriott/Ritz management outlined and agreed to the terms of the card and should hold themselves accountable for ensuring proper awareness amongst their staff.

I'm 3-for-3 on Club Level upgrades on corporate rates since having the card, including one upgrade that was specifically attributed to card membership. My experience suggests that any problems are not systemic.
Ofcourse you did.....it's probably because you are so demanding
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:01 pm

Issues/Challenges with Ritz Carlton Rewards Credit Card

My issue is different, but fits under this thread title...

Today received a high class mailing from Ritz-Carlton Rewards - very nice quality paper black envelope.

"Exclusive Cardmember Event Series - Join us at the RC Half Moon Bay"

Open the envelope and more very classy materials. "Your Exclusive Invitaion"

Extraordinary Wine Tasting and Culinary Experience

I won't go in to the details, but it looked like a fun event so I immediately called the 800 number. Connected to a rep (very nice, professional) who told me the event was already sold out. I asked how it could be sold out if the invitation had just arrived. He could not explain it... (maybe it was available online first?)

I asked if he could put me on a waiting list. No, sorry, the waiting list is sold out too - we are not adding any more people to the waiting list.

So, all in all a frustrating experience. I wish they would not bother wasting their money and resources sending me this if there is no chance of actually being able to attend... My next step will be to find out how to get off the list for these promotional mailings...
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I should add that you do have a couple of other choices as Fairmont just switched to a points based program, Hilton is growing the Waldorf Astoria brand, and Starwood has the St. Regis and Luxury Collection high end brands, among others like the W and Westin hotels. All of the foregoing now have points based programs, so RC is not the only kid on the block. @:-)
BTW I don't think that there has been any changes with the Fairmont's program. It is still recognition instead of points based one.

Last edited by holtju2; Aug 14, 2012 at 2:32 am
Old Aug 14, 2012, 3:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by holtju2
BTW I don't think that there has been any changes with the Fairmont's program. It is still recognition instead of points based one.
Really? I thought I read somewhere that it had gone over to a ponts based on because of the credit card and that points accumulation would work via the credit card sorta like all of Chase's other Visas.

I did not jump on the statement credit thing and the 2 free nights as I just did not think I would use them and my hope is that they repeat it again some time in the future.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
My issue is different, but fits under this thread title...

So, all in all a frustrating experience. I wish they would not bother wasting their money and resources sending me this if there is no chance of actually being able to attend... My next step will be to find out how to get off the list for these promotional mailings...
Thanks Lark.....it's interesting to hear the varying perspectives and my hope is this thread remains as a sounding board for all types of RC Rewards issues.

I think the promotional mailing options are in your online RC profile, but it might be worthwhile to remain on the list for more generic offers instead of the event offers.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Really? I thought I read somewhere that it had gone over to a ponts based on because of the credit card and that points accumulation would work via the credit card sorta like all of Chase's other Visas.

I did not jump on the statement credit thing and the 2 free nights as I just did not think I would use them and my hope is that they repeat it again some time in the future.
They have added points.

But the majority of the value you recieve from the program as a President's Club elite is recognition in the form of free internet, dining certs, room upgrade certs, suite upgrade certs, etc. https://www.fairmont.com/fpc/benefits/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.