Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to collect guaranteed room type $$$

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

I've never collected on this before, but have heard about it, and kicked myself later when I didn't have my room type (esp when there were 2 of us and we were forced to share a bed!).

I just checked into Spring Hill Suites and they apologized that my room type wasn't available so they put me in something else. I said, okay no worries - do I get my $50 or $100 - I wasn't even sure what it was. She said she would check with her manager and get back to me in the morning.

Do I need to do anything else? I'm skeptical after reading stories of how they will try to weasel their way out of it.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
i don't know if it's 50 or 100 either but just check the website and if they try to weasel out of it, make them look it up themselves or have them call MR and hand you the phone. Having them dial MR never fails....

Whatever you do, don't leave and then complain. Once you leave, you're out of luck...
Old May 23, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
It's $50 for SHS.

Here's the official policy as per the Marriott website:

Elite Members are eligible to receive the Room Type Guarantee at any JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, EDITION Hotels, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott and TownePlace Suites by Marriott property worldwide. Gold Members are eligible to receive the Room Type Guarantee at any JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, EDITION Hotels, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott or TownePlace Suites by Marriott property located in North America. If Company is unable to fulfill this Room Type Guarantee, Elite Members will be compensated $100 at JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, EDITION Hotels, and Autograph Collection; $50 at Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott and SpringHill Suites by Marriott; and $25 at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott and TownePlace Suites by Marriott for the inconvenience
Old May 24, 2011, 1:57 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Unfortunately, the Room Type Guarantee does not apply to bedding preference except at JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, EDITION Hotels, and Autograph Collection per this T&C:

The Room Type Guarantee covers bed type preferences at JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, EDITION Hotels, and Autograph Collection. Smoking/non-smoking preferences will be honored only at participating hotels outside the Unites States and Canada. (Pillow, room location, extra bed, crib requests, etc. requests are not included in the Guarantee.) Note that exact bed sizes may vary at hotels outside the United States and Canada.

It appears that only smoking/non-smoking preference is covered at Courtyard, TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, and SpringHill Suites, and only at participating hotels outside of the US and Canada (not sure what participating means), which seems a crock given that all Marriott hotels in the US (and Canada I believe) are smoke free.
Old May 24, 2011, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Unfortunately, the Room Type Guarantee does not apply to bedding preference except at JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, EDITION Hotels, and Autograph Collection per this T&C:

The Room Type Guarantee covers bed type preferences at JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels, EDITION Hotels, and Autograph Collection. Smoking/non-smoking preferences will be honored only at participating hotels outside the Unites States and Canada. (Pillow, room location, extra bed, crib requests, etc. requests are not included in the Guarantee.) Note that exact bed sizes may vary at hotels outside the United States and Canada.

It appears that only smoking/non-smoking preference is covered at Courtyard, TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, and SpringHill Suites, and only at participating hotels outside of the US and Canada (not sure what participating means), which seems a crock given that all Marriott hotels in the US (and Canada I believe) are smoke free.
Gosh I hope this wasn't still on the website...very old and no longer correct...the preceeding post is correct (room type guarantee applies to all brands)
Old May 24, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
If you are referring to the "bed type" restrictions, then it is on the web site. See #5 under the heading at Elite Benefits Guarantee at Participating Marriott Hotel Brands (for Members of the Marriott Rewards Program and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Program) at Elite Membership T&C.

Now room type guarantee is still available at all brands.
Old May 24, 2011, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
What if you can't choose the bed type during online reservation? I tried 2 times with 2 different CYs in Europe saying guest room 1 king or 2 double. How do I specify bed type if I don't have a choice?
Old May 24, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by socrates
Gosh I hope this wasn't still on the website...very old and no longer correct...the preceeding post is correct (room type guarantee applies to all brands)
It is still on the site https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...ts/platinum.mi and on the elite section http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi in section 7 it says at participating locations.

I had a situation last night upon arrival where a Courtyard did not have my room type and before I even had a chance to think about the guarantee the front desk clerk quoted that the elite guarantee does not apply at a Courtyard.

If he was incorrect, how would I have been able to challenge that?

TW
Old May 24, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Tolarian Wind
I had a situation last night upon arrival where a Courtyard did not have my room type and before I even had a chance to think about the guarantee the front desk clerk quoted that the elite guarantee does not apply at a Courtyard.
Probably just a bad choice of words on the part of the FDC. According to the T&C:

The Elite Benefits Guarantee does apply at Courtyard.

The "bed type" portion of the Elite Benefits Guarantee, aka Bed Type Guarantee, does not.

If you don't get the room type you reserved, (i.e. larger room, ocean view, 1 bedroom suite, etc) then the Elite Benefits Guarantee still applies. If you are Platinum and don't get offered an arrival gift or they don't deliver the arrival gift to your room, then the Elite Benefits Guarantee still applies.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:31 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by socrates
Socrates, I do not doubt you as I know you are very well connected to Marriott and are very knowledgeable, but the current T&C on the website state what I posted, thus I presume this is what hotels will stick by. Do you have any evidence showing otherwise?
Old May 24, 2011, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Ok, so now I'm confused. Is the guarantee for the room only - aka, standard, deluxe, oceanview, or for bed type, aka, double or king?

Cheers
Old May 24, 2011, 10:32 am
Original Poster

I went to ask the front desk this morning, and the lady said the manager was looking into it and researching it and would leave me a voicemail on my machine. Sounds like he's looking for a way out.

Then I came back here only to find myself confused. So it does apply or does not apply? To be clear, this is Spring Hill Suites, and I'm in a 2 Queen instead of 1 King.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Ok, so now I'm confused. Is the guarantee for the room only - aka, standard, deluxe, oceanview, or for bed type, aka, double or king?

Cheers
unfortunately it's confusing because full service hotels sell "Run of House" and "Concierge/Club" level rooms....at select service hotels they sell by room type such as "King Bedded Room" or "Double Bedded room"...the request for a room type at a full service hotel is only available at full service hotels (you book a GENR aka Run Of House and request a king bedded room), if you are given a queen bed the elite failure guarantee applies...but if you book a GENR-King bed but are given a Concierge (CONC) king the benefit does NOT apply......

At select service if you book a GENR (AKA King bedded room) and are given a DBDB (Double Bedded room) the benefit applies....if you book a GENR but request a double bedded room the benefit does NOT apply

I know - clear as mud....
Old May 24, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxarrival
I went to ask the front desk this morning, and the lady said the manager was looking into it and researching it and would leave me a voicemail on my machine. Sounds like he's looking for a way out.

Then I came back here only to find myself confused. So it does apply or does not apply? To be clear, this is Spring Hill Suites, and I'm in a 2 Queen instead of 1 King.
the guarantee applies in your situation (as long as your MR number was in the reservation before you arrived)
Old May 24, 2011, 11:22 am
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
What if you can't choose the bed type during online reservation? I tried 2 times with 2 different CYs in Europe saying guest room 1 king or 2 double. How do I specify bed type if I don't have a choice?
If you can't book the preferred bed type when you make the reservation then the guarantee won't apply. For example if you want 2 double, but it won't let you confirm a room with 2 doubles then they only have king rooms still available.

The elite guarantee only kicks in when they can't provide the type of room you confirmed with your reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.