Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

St. Louis Airport -- Marriott or Renaissance?

Old May 23, 2011, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Gold

My wife and I will be in STL for a few nights and are looking at a property close to the airport, and we're trying to decide between the full-service Airport Marriott or the Renaissance. Does anybody have any positive experiences one way or the other?
Old May 23, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
I haven't stayed at the Marriott for years but I've stayed at the Renaissance several times the past 3-4 years. There is nothing within walking distance except the Hustler store across the street, so I hope you have a car. The hotel itself is very nice and they've always bumped me to the concierge level being a platinum member. Good free food in the concierge lounge as well.

Nice hot tub and both an indoor and outdoor pool. I stay there every chance I get when I'm in town.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've stayed at both. The Marriott is a perfunctory FS. The Ren is a standard Ren, if there can be such a thing. The last few times I've been in your situation, I've gone with whichever one was less expensive, which as usually been the Ren. Neither is a bad choice.

Although you indicated you needed to be near the airport, the Marriott West (I may be wrong about the exact name) is usually less expensive than the airport hotels and is nicer than either of the airport hotels.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Gold
Thanks for the feedback. I'm an STL native and have no problem getting around, I just suggested the airport locations to be a little more centrally located. But I'll take any recommendations I can get, and will definitely look at Marriott West.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
STL St Louis Airport Marriott FS Review

STL - Saint Louis Airport Marriott FS Review

Wanted to give a updated review on this property. They are doing a major renovation (may be done now) of the lobby, bar, restaurant, and common areas. Looks really nice and refreshing for a 1970's era property.

Located about 300 meters from STL Terminal 1 (can walk if needed), they offer free shuttles to/from both terminals every 20 minutes. Check in desks have been moved to the left of the entry doors. Parking is not free, but they often have AAA rates or park/fly deals where it is included.

I have stayed here about 20 times, usually the night before an early airline flight. There are 2 towers (Marquis is concierge rooms) and the lounge is on the 9th floor with a great airport view.

The lounge offers good evening snacks (great deserts) and nice breakfast. Closed on weekends, Golds/Plats get full buffet in restaurant (or 750 points if you prefer). Plat arrival gift is $10 coupon which can be used in lounge or bar or restaurant. As a PP, I usually get both arrival points and $10 cert.

The staff here is (in general) great.

Gym was just updated but have not seen it since complete.

Not much in walking distance, unfortunately.

I have been meaning to stay at the STL airport Renaissance to compare, but I have yet to do so.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report! Appreciate it. Will also update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:25 pm

Has anyone stayed at the St. Louis Airport Renaissance lately? Any updates? What is lounge like in terms of ambiance, food or drink offerings? Yes I realize this is a US airport hotel so it might not be much, but thought I'd check.

I have a friend who just turned Silver who will be staying there tomorrow night. I called the property directly & asked them if they could put a note in his account requesting an upgrade to exec level if available, mentioned that he's going to be staying there more often in the future (which is true) & I wanted him to see what exec lounge/level was like so he'd stay at Marriott more & get to Gold (also true). She put me on hold & came back saying she had upgraded him as a favor to me & thanks for recommending their property.

I'm going to let me friend know he's getting the upgrade, but don't want to oversell what that really means in terms of lounge.

Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:48 pm

Sharon, I stayed there a few months ago. It had been awhile since I'd stayed there. They moved the front desk, but apparently that was even a couple years ago....

The rooms were actually pretty nice for an airport hotel. The CL was a small step up from the usual, but just a small step. The staff was awesome. A few years back, I started staying at the FS a few doors down, but I'm not sure why. The Ren is, IMO, the better of the two.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful than that. The fact I don't remember much detail is probably a good thing!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:55 pm

Thanks! Hopefully he'll enjoy it. The step after that is to get him registered for the Road to Gold, & then he can alternate between the 2 properties.

Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks! Hopefully he'll enjoy it. The step after that is to get him registered for the Road to Gold, & then he can alternate between the 2 properties.

Cheers.
Didn't somebody post a terrifying story about the FS within the past year, involving a safety issue? IIRC, the hotel did not resolve the issue the way one would want a hotel to resolve such things. That was the reason I shifted to the Ren this last time in STL.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I have stayed at the STL REN a few times in the last year. Hotel is pretty nice and the rooms seem larger than the STL Marriott. Decent lounge, nice restaurant/bar. Great staff.

Lounge closed on weekends but you get full breakfast. Choice of points or coupon for food at Plat gift. Like the Marriott, they charge for parking, but the gates never seem to be in use, so it did not seem to be enforced.

Not much in walking distance. 3-5 minute free shuttle ride to/from airport.

Wife and I prefer the REN over the Marriott at STL due to nicer rooms/ambiance.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Didn't somebody post a terrifying story about the FS within the past year, involving a safety issue? IIRC, the hotel did not resolve the issue the way one would want a hotel to resolve such things. That was the reason I shifted to the Ren this last time in STL.
Doesn't sound familiar.

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I have stayed at the STL REN a few times in the last year. Hotel is pretty nice and the rooms seem larger than the STL Marriott. Decent lounge, nice restaurant/bar. Great staff.

Lounge closed on weekends but you get full breakfast. Choice of points or coupon for food at Plat gift. Like the Marriott, they charge for parking, but the gates never seem to be in use, so it did not seem to be enforced.

Not much in walking distance. 3-5 minute free shuttle ride to/from airport.

Wife and I prefer the REN over the Marriott at STL due to nicer rooms/ambiance.
Thanks for the info. I'll also update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:29 pm

Found the thread... A stranger was in the woman's room while she slept. He had a key and a flashlight, and the poster was not satisfied with how the hotel responded. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-marriott.html
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:31 am

Got a text from my friend about 11pm last night. Given the timeframe sounds like he went out to dinner w/ client, so missed the exec lounge evening stuff. Hopefully he'll make it to brekkie. Him having lounge access/getting to check it out was the reason I contacted the property. However, even if he doesn't, right now he thinks I totally rock because the text said, "I'm in a HUGE suite. Thank you!!" I did not ask for a suite upgrade for him, just upgrade to exec level if available. But a nice gesture by the FDC & of course I do totally rock

I'm seeing Josh tomorrow night with some other friends, so I'll gently break the news to him that huge suite upgrades are not the norm . And then we'll get him signed up for the Road to Gold challenge.

Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Got a text from my friend about 11pm last night. Given the timeframe sounds like he went out to dinner w/ client, so missed the exec lounge evening stuff. Hopefully he'll make it to brekkie. Him having lounge access/getting to check it out was the reason I contacted the property. However, even if he doesn't, right now he thinks I totally rock because the text said, "I'm in a HUGE suite. Thank you!!" I did not ask for a suite upgrade for him, just upgrade to exec level if available. But a nice gesture by the FDC & of course I do totally rock

I'm seeing Josh tomorrow night with some other friends, so I'll gently break the news to him that huge suite upgrades are not the norm . And then we'll get him signed up for the Road to Gold challenge.

Cheers.
Glad the hotel went the extra mile for him. The staff is that hotel's strongest asset.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.