Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo, Italy [Master Thread]

Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
good report - THXs
has Naples got their no one's picking up the garbage situation under control??????

Originally Posted by loneraven
I stayed at the Renaissance Naples Hotel for 5 nights towards the end of November, and here's a quick review.

The good:

1. Hotel location is perfect for exploring the islands, as it is only a 10-minute walk from the ferries;
2. The National Archaeological Museum is also close by, about a 15-minute walk north along Via Toledo;
3. No lounge but free breakfast for Gold/Plat at the rooftop restaurant, which as other have mentioned has a great view of the city as well as the harbor;
4. Was offered a coupon for 20% off dinner on two occasions by staff serving breakfast, which was on top of the 10% off meals that they applied to all my restaurant expenses at check-out. The food at the restaurant was nothing to write home about, but ok for someone who did not want to venture out the hotel at night;
5. Plenty of good local restaurants nearby.

The bad:

1. Staff, depending on who you run into, can be either very helpful & polite or extremely rude. One woman working at the front desk had that "get-lost" look on her face when I inquired about where to take a taxi to the train station. But the Bell staff was wonderful-he walked me to the taxi station and made sure I was getting the flat rate (10.50 euros);
2. No wireless access in room (only wired). However, you can borrow a wireless router from the front desk. They put a 40 euros charge on your account but will take it off when you return the equipment;
3. As others have mentioned, taxi drivers in Naples will rip you off every chance they get. You need to make sure you negotiate the rate with them before you get in. I didn't do that and was charged 22 euros for the 1.5-mile ride from the train station to the hotel.

Knowing Naples' reputation for pickpockets, I was very careful when I went out and mostly stuck to the areas near the hotel, which largely seemed very safe. I definitely wouldn't mind going back to Naples and staying at the same hotel again.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
good report - THXs
has Naples got their no one's picking up the garbage situation under control??????
I didn't witness any of those notorious mountains of garbage when I was there. But then again, that's just observation from looking out the window of my cab...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
when I was last there you didn't have to see it as the smell permeated throughout the area...........frankly, having dinner outside during the fall was runied by the stench.........

Originally Posted by loneraven
I didn't witness any of those notorious mountains of garbage when I was there. But then again, that's just observation from looking out the window of my cab...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
when I was last there you didn't have to see it as the smell permeated throughout the area...........frankly, having dinner outside during the fall was runied by the stench.........
They must have gotten their act together then, at least while I was there. I didn't see any and certainly didn't smell any.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:01 am

Any recent reviews?

Booked a basic room at LNF rate and found out that I have been upgraded to a presidential suite (finger-crossed) after a polite email to the hotel. It will be our very 1st presidential suite experience if it's granted.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Just checked in here. Nothing has changed since the previous reports of CRT TVs and subpar linens. No carpet on the floor. Walls scuffed. We stayed in CY in Rome and Venice and this is a definite step down. Asked the front desk for an upgrade and they claim to be booked out, even though there are exec rooms and suites available to book online. Asked me to check in the morning, which i will. There is wifi in the rooms now. Save your points for somewhere else.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
I agree with most people regarding Naples. I wish I stayed in Sorrento rather that in Naples but I got it free with points.

The hotel still has the old small CRTs but it does have WiFi as @matchbox20_is mentioned. The rooms are very basic and old. I really think it should be demoted from a Renaissance to a Courtyard.

The area around the hotel is busy during the day but at night it's very quiet and they turn off all the street lights too. I didn't feel comfortable at all at night. We just bought food from the close by McD and ate in our room.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Did you get free breakfast? Cont'l or full. Let me know & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Did you get free breakfast? Cont'l or full. Let me know & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
It's a free breakfast buffet. Includes cooked hot dogs, scrambled eggs, a few types of cold cuts, pastries, muffins, cereal, bread, and various drinks.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, my complaints did the trick, eventually. Our first room was on the 7th floor and had the CRT TV and bed linens like a Choice Hotel. Scratchy thin blanket and three fluff pillows hidden under the bedspread. Definitely not up to brand standards, even for a first-generation Fairfield Inn. I went down the next morning and we were reassigned to a room on the 9th floor (of 10). The new room has a very large LG flat screen mounted on the wall, partial glass enclosed shower instead of a shower curtain, duvet, and six pillows, including three feather pillows. We also went from an apartment view to an ocean view. I am pretty sure this is what they refer to as an Executive Room. Housekeeping was cleaning other rooms on the 9th floor and they all had this bedding package.

If you stay here, do not accept a Deluxe Room under any circumstances. You will be disappointed. The Executive Room and above will yield what you are expecting at a Renaissance.

The highlight of this hotel is definitely the breakfast buffet as others mentioned. The food is fine, but the view is magnificent. It is a full breakfast buffet (I am Gold).

The hotel also has a pre-negotiated €20 taxi rate to the airport and a €10.50 rate to the Napoli Centrale train station. As I understand, you must have them set it up to get this rate.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:34 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Booked a basic room at LNF rate and found out that I have been upgraded to a presidential suite (finger-crossed) after a polite email to the hotel. It will be our very 1st presidential suite experience if it's granted.
did you get your upgrade? If so, how was your stay?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
It's a free full breakfast in the restaurant on the top floor. As I'm sure others have noted, there is no lounge. The breakfast is really quite good -- and the views of the bay are pretty sweet from the restaurant's patio. As far as I can tell there isn't a continental option -- just breakfast.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks. I've updated the sticky.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any updates?

I was hoping that the Executive Room comments above might have been a harbinger of updating the regular rooms.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by beachfan
Any updates?
8 months ago (February 2014) I had an executive room which was a throwback to a very old Marriott era, so doubt they've managed a complete refit just yet: but not sure if anyone has a more recent experience

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.