Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Munich to leave MR/close on 10/1/11?

Old Mar 20, 2011, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC

Hi,

when checking my future reservations at the Munich Renaissance for early October I noticed that you no longer can book rooms for my nights. Doing spot-checks, I noticed that you cannot book for any day I checked after 9/30 at all. So should I expect that hotel to either leave Marriott or close on that date (for whatever reason - renovation would be appropriate)? Does anyone have any insight? If they cannot honor my reservation, will they "walk" me to another Marriott property in such a case, or will I be SOL and on my own to find a place to sleep during a major trade show?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Have you contacted the hotel directly to ask them? That would be my first step.

Also, if you're there for a major trade show, is there a chance they're 100% booked, although presumably Plat override would come into play (unless it's a citywide event, in which all bets are off).

If you've got a confirmation, trade show or not I'd expect them to make the alternate arrangement, not leave you to fend for yourself.

Cheers.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Sharon,

thanks for your feedback, however of course I had the idea of them being solid booked, but they do not offer any room for sale on any day after 10/1 that I checked, where other hotels in Munich offer their standard rates. So yes, at least the trade fair effect is to be ruled out.

As to not having called the hotel directly, I did discover this on a sunday evening, so my guess is that anybody on ft.com would be better informed than whoever I would have talked to at the Ren at that time of night...;-)!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: M&M,UA MP Silver, MR LT Titanium, HH Gold
Would not be a great loss if the leave MR other than rare LNF rates. Totally out of date and not even cozy. Last time at check-in they apologized for not upgrading me to a suite (didn't ask for) due to being nearly 100% booked and gave me a queen room (though king was guaranteed). I checked and found avail executive suites with king bed at low price! Only pro: breakfast is nice
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:31 am

Dirk - I'd expect them to walk you to another property, not leave you to fend for yourself. Let us know how it works out.

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:22 am
Original Poster

So I gave them a call, and the lady on the phone confirmed that staff had received the information that the hotel will close on 9/30 last friday. Currently the situation is still undecided if the hotel will continue to operate under a different name or if it will close down completely. I was also told that guests with existing reservations after the closing date will be contacted by next week how they will handle the situation.

Since my reservation is during a large trade-fair I will wait and see what time will bring...and periodically check my reservation to see if it still exists.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Bringing up this old thread once again - decision has been made to keep the hotel open (at least partially) until 1/1/12 since the capacity just could not be replaced. Since almost all staff will leave the hotel by 10/1/11 it will be completely managed and staffed from the Marriott across the street.

Given this I wonder if Marriott is looking for a replacement-property in Munich - to me it seems that even with the two new properties opening in October there is still room for another Marriott-branded hotel in Munich...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:22 am

To become a Pullman

Actually, the Renaissance is no more, effective today. RIP.

I had a reservation for the Renaissance for the nights of 22 and 23 December, and received a note that because they were not going to be open the night of the 23rd they were moving my reservation to the Marriott down the street.

So, this afternoon (the 23rd), I dropped by, and sure enough the hotel was no longer operating. I chatted with the new manager, who happened to be on the scene, and learned that the plan is to rebrand it as a Pullman (Accor chain), and reopen on January 9th.

The renovations have begun, and the plan (as I understand it) is to do them in four "slices" so the hotel will be open and operating through much of this. The manager showed me a model room that had been redone in what will probably be the new signature style. It's very modern and comfortable in style, uses earth colors (lots of browns), and features a real work desk.

It looks as though this will be a very nice property, as the Pullman brand is one of Accor's more upscale ones. I'm Platinum in A Club, and I mentioned that Accor didn't seem to have as many benefits for elites as Marriott, and wondered whether such customary Renaissance amenities as free internet, free breakfast, and upgrades to the many suites would continue.

As I understand it, they do intend to add air conditioning during the remodeling, although not during the first stage, and will probably convert some of the many two-room "suites" to individual rooms.

I still really like the location, and will stop by after the rebranding is done to experience first-hand what differences there are in the corporate "culture" between Marriott and the Pullman brand at Accor.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:35 am

Thanks for the update & look forward to reading a future one.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.