Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2011 Annual Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Annual Hotel Category Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: RadissonRewards Platinum
I don't know why you're saying thank you. I'm travelling in Europe only and all hotels that are interesting for me get a category higher. It's my first year with Marriott and my last year. The free night certs have no value in Central Europe. Goodbye Marriott!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
I had an award stay planned for this summer and I booked it before the category change; got an email confirmation of the reservation and it was a category 4 award stay for 5 nights (80K). Checked my MR account this morning and my reservation is now a category 5. Not Cool! Check your reservations guys!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Mar 15, 2011 at 8:11 am
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
I had an award stay planned for this summer and I booked it before the category change; got an email confirmation of the reservation and it was a category 4 award stay for 5 nights (80K). Checked my MR account this morning and my reservation is now a category 5. Not Cool! Check your reservations guys!
I believe what has happened in years past is MR deposits the additional needed points into your account and reissues the ecert for the new amount of points....net charge to you should be zero but Marriott Concierge team can best answer
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by notmypetunia
I noticed in the initial post that the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa seemed to be noted as moving from a Category 5 to a Category 6. However, the more recent post does not indicate same.
It is still listed as Cat5 on the website.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:45 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by socrates
I believe what has happened in years past is MR deposits the additional needed points into your account and reissues the ecert for the new amount of points....
That was how my award reservations were handled in the past.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
They did not do anything to my account other than indicate that this is now a category 5 reservation and there is no note implying that the reservation was a category 4 previously. Do I need to call Marriott or is it done automatically?

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Mar 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Gee, Socrates & Hhoope! Perhaps I've missed a sneaky way to get my Cat. 4 MegaBonus cert. upgraded to Cat. 5! What will happen to those who booked a room with those, get adjusted, then cancel??
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Brendan
Gee, Socrates & Hhoope! Perhaps I've missed a sneaky way to get my Cat. 4 MegaBonus cert. upgraded to Cat. 5! What will happen to those who booked a room with those, get adjusted, then cancel??
in theory the additional points should be deducted - again the account balance should remain the same as if the transaction didn't take place
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks to Ira for checking that my reservation is OK.

Fyi... mine is made with one of the Visa Cat4 certs I got on a promo by using the card so many times over a couple months. There is a warning that the cert attached may not match the award stay, and it shows the stay as Cat5 points now... but Ira confirmed it is OK and it may appear that way due to the cert. Its coming up in a couple weeks so I'll post what happens then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.