Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront or Renaissance Orlando @ Seaworld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

I know they're two totally different experiences...but in Feb. we're narrowing down our options and we haven't decided on beach or fancy Orlando

Has anyone been to both of these who can give me a review? The Miami property seems nice enough and a good location. The Renaissance looks like a wonderful hotel. We're using free nights for a 5 star or less and we only have the option of going in February so that narrows down our choices when it comes to warm weather and nice location for a quick 4 day weekend with pre-teens.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Your profile does not indicate whether you are MR elite.

If yes--consider no free breakfast at CY, which is why I never vacation at CRs with my family. Renaissance does not have "Resort" in its name at marriott.com, which may means free breakfast as an elite--but on the home page there is this reference "Explore Our Resort". So not sure whether it is a resort or not. Call the hotel and ask if this is important to you.

Apologies--have no specific knowledge at either property. At Tripadvisor.com, the CY gets 4 circles/stars versus Renaissance 4.5. In general I focus my stays on 4.5s. But if you really want a beach vacation--perhaps the CY will be fine...

How about the Eden Roc, a Renaissance hotel, in South Beach? It's a category 6, which would mean purchasing 20K points or getting a credit card where the enrollment bonus will get you where you need to be.

Last edited by travelexpert; Sep 27, 2011 at 1:52 am
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
First of all the Eden Roc is not in South Beach, it is in Miami Beach, north of South Beach and further north than the CY. That being said...

I have not stayed at the CY, but co-workers did last time we had a project in Miami and they said it was great, provided you got a room facing the ocean. They even got upgraded a couple of times. It is right on the beach with a nice pool. It is north of South Beach and Lincoln Rd, where all the action, clubs, and trendy South Beach restaurants are located. There is Carrabba's Italian Restaurant next to the hotel. Overall, I would say CY is a good choice, it you want the beach.

The Renaissance at Sea World is a nice hotel, literally across the street from Sea World. You can walk to Sea World, or take the hotel shuttle. There is a charge for parking at the hotel. The Renaissance used to have a concierge lounge, but that was removed when they renovated a few years ago. Since it is classified as a resort, most elites have not been successful getting breakfast (YMMV). The hotel can be busy at times with conferences and meetings being held there, but the front desk staff is usually good about getting you checked in quickly. The rooms are a decent size, but some rooms have balconies overlooking the interior atrium. Even with the door closed, the noise from the bar and restaurant can carry up to your room. They have a fair number of suites and larger rooms, so depending on how busy the hotel is, you may get upgraded to a bigger room. Other than SeaWorld, the hotel is reasonable driving distance from the Disney Parks, Universal Studios, Downtown Disney, and everything else that makes Orlando what it is.

Not sure what your family is looking for from a long weekend. Your pre-teens may not be old enough to enjoy Miami Beach/South Beach and they may get bored with it pretty fast. Orlando may be the route to go if they enjoy amusement parks and the like. Nothing worse than spending a long weekend with whining tweens.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
The only helpful advice I can offer is to remind you that @ the Courtyard, you are neither in or near south beach. You are very much north of it. I go there a few times a year and most consider a reasonable north limit of SoBe to be 22 St at the W and Setai. 22nd is a 10 minute walk to Lincoln Road and some consider even this to be too far in heels
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelexpert

How about the Eden Roc, a Renaissance hotel, in South Beach? It's a category 6, which would mean purchasing 20K points or getting a credit card where the enrollment bonus will get you where you need to be.
if the OP is using free night certs rather then pts , then they would be restricted to Cat 1-5

also why is everyone talking about South Beach this CY is 39th and Collins while the Ren is 45th & Collins, and the CY is in Miami Beach and not South Beach and doesnt say its in SB
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

I should specify a bit more. We are merely hoping to utilize two "free night" Elite certificates that must be used in February 2012. The kids, ages 12 and 13 have a long weekend in Feb so we want to get a nice weekend out of those certificates.

Our kids would be happy hanging on the beach as well as a weekend near Seaworld. We've stayed at prime properties, as well as less so, we look at the whole picture. We spend a lot of time in the Disney area...it might be nice to do a prime property (aka Renaissance Seaworld) skip Disney altogether and just do Seaworld instead. It also might be nice to relax on Miami Beach, but not need the wild nightlife that South Beach offers. We're very flexible. We look at each experience individually and enjoy it for what it offers. Which is why we're having a tough time deciding : )
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:53 pm

My husband and I stayed at the Courtyard Miami Beach in March last year and we enjoyed it very much- we had an ocean view room and were upgraded to a suite. No free breakfast but we grabbed food at a deli across the street. Staff was super nice and friendly.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:20 pm

Ft Lauderdale

Since it sounds like you are not tied to South Beach, I'd also consider Fort Lauderdale Beach instead of Miami Beach. As a local, I find FLL so much easier than MIA (and generally cheaper). Also, getting from FLL to Fort Lauderdale Beach is painless, unlike dealing with traffic around MIA.

I've never stayed there, but the Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach gets good Trip Advisor reviews. I walk past the property 4-5 times/week, on my way to the gym. The valet guys out front are very friendly. Provided you are not on the lowest floors (2nd or 3rd), you pretty much are guaranteed a view. Even non-ocean views are good, as they look out to the west over the Intercoastal Waterway towards Downtown.

If you are traveling with family, this won't apply. But, I'll add it in case others find this thread later. I work out at the gym next to the hotel, which has an outdoor gym on the roof. From the roof, we get an unobstructed view into the south-facing rooms. I wish the Courtyard put a sign in their bathrooms stating: "If you are sitting on your toilet and you can see people on the roof next door, they can see you".
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
If you want beach, I would go north to Fort Lauderdale. There's a CY across the street from the beach there. The CY Miami Beach does have a nice pool/beach area. The surrounding area is mostly residential so you'll wind up having to drive a ways for breakfast and other meals. There's a lot more for kids to do in FLL and the dining options are much cheaper and easier to get to there.

If you want to do the Orlando thing, the Renaissance is probably fine. There's plenty of family dining options around there. Also, a day trip to Cocoa Beach is pretty easy from there since you're close to the tollway and about an hour from there to the ocean.

The only other thing to consider is weather. Although Orlando is usually okay in February, you could hit a cold spell. It's less likely farther south.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:26 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Remember Orlando is often around 20-30F Cooler in February.

To be sure stay in South Florida.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:31 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Remember Orlando is often around 20-30F Cooler in February. It can even freeze at night-times.

To be sure stay in South Florida.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:02 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by craz
also why is everyone talking about South Beach this CY is 39th and Collins while the Ren is 45th & Collins, and the CY is in Miami Beach and not South Beach and doesnt say its in SB
South Beach is a neighbourhood of Miami Beach, and not a separate municipality. If you want to get technical, the CY is in the Mid-Beach part of Miami Beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.