Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Adding Marriott Rewards # to reservation in someone else's name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

My fiancee is going to be staying at a Courtyard for 10 nights. She doesn't travel often, and rarely has much of a use for hotel loyalty programs. Is it possible for my Marriott Rewards # to be attached to the room reservation in her name? Specifically, I'm wondering if there are any technical restrictions preventing a Marriott Rewards # in one name to be attached to a room reservation in someone else's name.

Worst case, I will just sign her up for her own Marriott Rewards account, though I figured I'd find out the answer to this question first.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Technically no. The reservation is suppose to be in the name of the MR member and paid by the MR member.

Now, for reality, you can make the reservation using your MR # and add your fiancee as a guest on the reservation and she should be allowed to check in telling the front desk you are arriving later. Some places will be sticklers and request you stop by the front desk upon arrival.

I'd suggest getting her signed up. This stay alone will get her Silver status and some minor perks. Swapping some nights when you travel together can build her status (at the cost of yours) and you can usually get the Plat perks if you show your card at check-in.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
The second post was a good suggestion, and that's actually what I do. My girlfriend and I both travel a lot for work. I do Marriott / SPG, and she does Hilton. Every now and then we'll hit a situation where she'll either need to stay at Marriott/SPG or I'll need to stay at Hilton. We book the reservation for ourselves and then call to get the other person added to the rez. Has worked every time.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ming-stay.html

Moderator: perhaps these two could be merged?

Last edited by plagwate; Jan 17, 2011 at 8:24 pm
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Technically no. The reservation is suppose to be in the name of the MR member and paid by the MR member.

Now, for reality, you can make the reservation using your MR # and add your fiancee as a guest on the reservation and she should be allowed to check in telling the front desk you are arriving later. Some places will be sticklers and request you stop by the front desk upon arrival.

I'd suggest getting her signed up. This stay alone will get her Silver status and some minor perks. Swapping some nights when you travel together can build her status (at the cost of yours) and you can usually get the Plat perks if you show your card at check-in.
Thanks....that's very helpful! I'll get her signed up with her own MR account for simplicity.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1 MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
I had an experience with this last year... I booked a hotel for a resource that was coming in from overseas and just put the reservation in my name. Then at the end of the stay the other person paid with his CC but I was credited the nights and the points. A few weeks later I got an email in regards to the card paying must be the same as the MR # and they deducted the points from my account however they did not deduct the nights stayed.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Now, for reality, you can make the reservation using your MR # and add your fiancee as a guest on the reservation and she should be allowed to check in telling the front desk you are arriving later.
Can someone tell me how to add a second person to my reservation. The "Change Guest Information" page only allows me to enter one name and clearly says that the name has to match the name on the MR account. How can I add a second guest so they can check in without me?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:42 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tbm13
Can someone tell me how to add a second person to my reservation.
I'd suggest calling Marriott Reservations and asking them to add the 2nd person to the reservation.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:04 pm

If you use your MR number you will be listed as the primary person on the reservation and her name will be there for check in but not on the reservation confirmation sheet. Shouldn't be a problem though. Also, I believe the spousal benefits have to be a married couple. You can also buy points when needed...up to 50,000 each per year.

https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...EN&product=BUY
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Officially MR has no "spousal" benefits. Unofficially I've faound most hotels to be very accomodating even when my husband (platinum) isn't there.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:14 am

Can someone tell me how to add a second person to my reservation. The "Change Guest Information" page only allows me to enter one name and clearly says that the name has to match the name on the MR account. How can I add a second guest so they can check in without me?
Does your reservation show 2 guests in the room? Make sure when you reserve that you use the drop-down menu to show two guests.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Does your reservation show 2 guests in the room? Make sure when you reserve that you use the drop-down menu to show two guests.
Yes, I selected 2 guests per room but don't see where I could add a second name.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, I selected 2 guests per room but don't see where I could add a second name.
I believe the only way to add the name online is via the comments section (is it still there?). Otherwise, you will need to call reservations or the property and ask them to add the name to the rez. When the other person arrives, they should ask for your rez and mention up front that you called to add their name to be able to check in first.

Since you don't plan on being there, she may not get any status benefits and technically, you should not get points. If there is any chance she will be staying at Marriott properties more often (even with you present), sign her up for her own account. More and more properties are catching on (if they haven't already) to the games being played and even spouses are not getting credit when the other pays for the room! T&Cs state member must stay and pay to get credit and since cards are typically issued in the person's name, if they don't match the property is not required to issue stay/point credit.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Make sure to sign her up as a referral so that both of you receive extra bonus points

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...nus-promo.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.