Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance London Heathrow LHR Hotel, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reception: [email protected]
Other: [email protected]

Property underwent renovation in 2015-2016, so no longer a dump. Exec lounge open on the weekends.

You do not need to pay for the Hoppa to get to the property. You can take some public buses (ie, 105, 111, 140) to/from the Ren, as it's in the 'free zone'. The Heathrow free travel zone has been suspended indefinitely effective January 1, 2021. Standard fares now apply.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: ExPlt 2011; AA LT PLT 2.337MM

It appears to be undergoing a renovation but it is long in the tooth at a minimum that is for certain. There is only paid wireless so so much for gold or platinum status. The rooms, while clean and orderly were classic English cramped. Old tube tv and a hair dryer that looked to be Orwellian. The mini bar, the kind that if you touch you get charged, was empty and you had to call to get it filled.

The lounge was nice but of course not stocked, it's Friday, so although you might have status mon-thurs, you have no status on the weekend, and the two computers were second rates as well...mice barely responsive, monitors brownish and only one connected to a printer. No free wireless anywhere in the hotel.

A single restaurant with a weak buffet. However my fillet of sole was quite good, ordered off the menu.

All in all it was adequate for a layover but really not a very good reflection on Marriott.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Seems like Marriott is sleeping when it comes to maintaining brand standards...

Thanks for the info--I was going to book here for an overnight stopover since it is a level 5 and I have a credit card one night free certificate.

Now I'll just go with the LHR Hilton--it's one of the better Hiltons!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
Heathrow Ren

I have stayed there several times and agree with the OP. This property is primarily a transient hotel and offers few amenities. It reminds me of the Dulles Marriott. On the plus side of the Heathrow Ren, however, is that some of the rooms have fantastic views of the runways. Also, the rates are extremely reasonable most times. Marriott across the street is a much better choice.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:02 pm

i got lnf rate there once around $40 and it was worth exactly that much
the hostels in downtown london are way better really. The computers are so old, and not to mention the spread in the morning in the lounge, forget it, its very bad in my opinion as well..
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We spent the night before our flight last year at the Heathrow Marriott (also a Cat 5) and I'm glad we did. Well-stocked lounge, good resto and bar, and a more modern, up-to-date room.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI Free internet worldwide for elites starts Jan 7, so that at least should change.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Thanks for the info about the Marriott--also level 5!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:46 am

Brand Standards

Talking about brand standards, I know I should not expect much from a CY. But recently I left behind a travel router at a CY in Australia and asked a local friend to pick it up. The hotel put it in a white garbage bag! (It was small enough to be put into any envelope instead.)

Compared to another time in China - I changed from Grand Hyatt to another hotel and left behind a pair of slippers. When I went back to pick them up, they were packed as if they were a gift to a King!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: LH FF, BA Blue these days, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP
You get what you pay for...

Originally Posted by BigLar
We spent the night before our flight last year at the Heathrow Marriott (also a Cat 5) and I'm glad we did. Well-stocked lounge, good resto and bar, and a more modern, up-to-date room.
I've stayed at both and you get what you pay for - LHR REN is one of the cheaper FS hotels around the airport and there is a reason for that - its basic, tired and lacking in most amenities you'd expect from a modern business hotel.

The Marriott (literally across the road from the REN) is clean, bright and has a great choice of restaurants. Its popularity with travellers with status means the small lounge gets very full but its a much nicer place to stay and I'd agree that if your budget will stretch, take the Marriott.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
I stayed at this property a few weeks ago and while I have to agree that it is not the most shining example of a world-class Renaissance, it wasn't as bad - IMO - as some are saying.

For one thing, as a MR Platinum I was given a code at check-in for free wireless internet which worked throughout the hotel.

The room was quite adequate.

The best thing for me was the restaurant/bar manager on duty on the evening of my stay allowing me stay in the bar area after hours and watch the satellite TV channel that was showing the NFL game starting at 1am and running until 4am.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Renaissance Heathrow is a Cat 4
Old Dec 23, 2010, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've stayed at the LHR Ren many times on weekends, either for mileage runs or to position myself for early morning return flight.

It's old & tired, but it's ok. I regard it like an old favorite bathrobe; a bit ragged around the edges but familiar & comfortable.

It's always cheaper than the Marriott, hence my decision to stay at Ren over Marriott since my stays there are on my dime. Like the Marriott, it's on the free bus route. It's good about early a.m. check in. Come January 7th, Golds & Plats will have free internet. Health club is small, but adequate. I don't think I've ever made it to brekkie, so can't address the restaurant. I know the lobby was renovated. It would be nice if they do the rooms, but there's nothing they can do about the size of them. The exec lounge is key accessible on weekends for water, tea, coffee, & as others have noted, it's got FABULOUS views of LHR & runways. I really like the cheese/fruit plate & wine they have as Plat amenity gift. As Glenn mentioned, it's a Cat 4.

For what it is, it's an ok choice for folk who want or need to stay near the airport. If someone wants Grosvenor House (and prices), they have that option in the city. For someone who needs a play to stay at a usually cheap price near the airport, it's certainly a viable option. FWIW - I don't usually expect fab things from airport properties, not just in LHR.

And to the OP - you have status 7 days/week; you just don't have a fully open exec lounge on the weekends. You're not 'losing' your status on the weekend

Cheers.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, Mileage Plus Silver
I've stayed here a few times over the last couple of years and although it is not the best airport hotel in the world, or even on the Bath Road, it does the job. And really, it's mostly a transient hotel for people arriving late or leaving early. I have never had a problem there and it's generally cheap!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
I've only stayed there twice but both times it was absolutely fine - not outstanding but perfectly good. The last time we went with our 2 year old son who loves aeroplanes, we requested - and received - a room overlooking the runway at LHR. He could barely believe his eyes! The lounge was also very nice and breakfast in the restaurant was excellent. I will happily stay there again.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Like the Marriott, it's on the free bus route.
Sharon,
I can't find any reference to a free bus on the Renaissance or Marriott LHR web pages:
This hotel does not provide shuttle service.
Alternate transportation: Heathrow Hoppa Bus; fee: 4 GBP (one way) ;on request
Bus service, fee: 4.00 GBP (one way)
Estimated taxi fare: 10.00 GBP (one way)

Where can I find info on the free bus?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.