Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Napa Valley Marriott Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
The Napa Valley Marriott Hotel and Spa $20 Daily Destination Fee includes the following daily amenities:
  • Culinary Garden Tour with Sparkling Wine (4pm)
  • Yoga Class every morning meet in the lobby (7:30am)
  • Preserve Spa Access Eucalyptus Steam Room (8:30am to 12:00pm)
  • Specialized® Bicycle Access with hybrid bicycles with helmet, available from dawn to dusk
  • Bottled Spring Water replenished in your room daily
  • Napa Valley Roasting Company Coffee, Two cups of fresh brew available daily in VINeleven Market
  • Daily Vintner Pour every evening in the lobby (5-6pm)
  • Wireless High Speed Internet
Print Wikipost

Napa Valley Marriott Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just to report back - for those who, like us, only want or need 1 night in Napa, the 2-day minimum booking apparently disappears when your ETA approaches 7 days Also nice to see the rate drop from $459 (probably Plat force) to $359/nt. However this is still too high to retain my business.

Originally Posted by stc
I'd stay at the HGI. I've also gotten some really good room rates at the Doubletree in American Canyon.
Originally Posted by flsunshineflyer
It is not worth $400 IMO. I like the HGI next door. The breakfast in the lobby of the HGI is way better than the CL at Marriott. Even with no status in HHonors we stay at the HGI now when we are in Napa.
We decided to follow this advice as I'd rather cash in 40k points than pay $299/nt @ HGI. I have Hilton status so hopefully will get a decent room.

Addendum: Not overly impressed with the HGI - the rooms were quiet but pretty cheap decor and no free breakfast. It is hard to believe the Marriott could be worse.

We only had time to visit one winery before the event - Luna - which is about 10 minutes away. Worth checking out, good Merlot and Sangiovese though I'd skip the whites.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jul 15, 2012 at 11:11 pm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Recent reports state the lounge is open. Not all FS properties have lounges closed on the weekend, so best to check the exec lounge sticky for updates & list of properties.
The CL at the Napa Valley Marriott is open on weekends. They made a point of mentioning that to me when I stayed there earlier this month. I made a point of utilizing it.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I've stayed at this property and at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance. My wife and I prefer the Lodge hands down. There's no lounge at the Lodge and no free breakfast for plats but I found it to be less expensive (with discounts) than the Napa Marriott. For the price differential, we were more than happy to not have a lounge. The restaurant at The Lodge, Carneros, has great food.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:11 pm

Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa / Point Redemption

My wife and I plan on spending 2 days in Napa and 2 days in Sonoma coming up in June. Due to Marriott loyalty, that pretty much means we'll be at The Lodge at Sonoma for two days and the Napa Valley Marriott Hotel for two days. I've heard that since the Napa Valley Marriott completed a $7 million renovation, the place really isn't that bad - especially considering we will be out touring for the vast majority of our time there. Also, I have Gold Elite status, so the concierge breakfast before heading out each morning is a nice perk.

My question is: do I redeem 60,000 Marriott points to stay the two nights at the Napa property - or just pay the rate I received of $180 per night? I feel like 60,000 points is a bit of a waste on $360, but then again, points are about to be devalued further and this property will be soon require a 70,000 point redemption for two nights.

Unfortunately, point redemption is unavailable during our stay at the Lodge at Sonoma.

Thanks for any opinions anyone can offer.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
I would pay the $180 and keep the 60K points. I would use the points for a room rate of b/t $275 and $300 a night. I value the points at one cent per point for redemption. You will definitely enjoy both properties, especially the Renaissance in Sonoma. Do try their restaurant, Carneros Bistro. In the Napa area, actually the city of Rutherford, try the Rutherford Grill. No corkage fee for wine you bring in.

Last edited by jtp1947; May 2, 2013 at 10:55 am
Old May 2, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by KyleMac
My question is: do I redeem 60,000 Marriott points to stay the two nights at the Napa property - or just pay the rate I received of $180 per night? I feel like 60,000 points is a bit of a waste on $360, but then again, points are about to be devalued further and this property will be soon require a 70,000 point redemption for two nights.
I struggle with these decisions all the time. From a cent per point perspective, it doesn't make sense but to sit and allow these points to devalue like I do doesn't make sense either. Are you likely to use them on other upcoming trips soon? Also, your $180 rate is likely $200+ after taxes, factor that in too.

Stayed here a night in late 2010, didn't think it was worth $200 / night except for the location...
Old May 2, 2013, 2:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
If I have a lot of points I use points because I'd rather use cash for other things. For example wine.

BTW, there is a decent taco truck just down the street from the Napa Marriott. It is next to the gas station.
Old May 2, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: United silver, American Platinum, Marriott platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz gold, Avis First
I'm going to be staying here Friday night with the wife. We used points simply because I'd also rather use my cash for other things and points only become worth less over time.

Based on the research, the hotel is probably fine, the spa is total meh, and the location is too built up for a "napa experience." However, considering we're going ballooning in the morning, all I really care about is late checkout. Sonoma property was my first choice, but they didn't have any points stays and for the cash they were asking it was cheaper to go ballooning.

The next couple of nights we're down at Union Square.
Old May 2, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SilentMonarch
The next couple of nights we're down at Union Square.
Nice, I was there for a week around New Years at the JW. Think I would try the Marriott across the street next time as the JW was nothing special and cost more points. I do believe both CL's are open weekends.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: United silver, American Platinum, Marriott platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz gold, Avis First
Trip report

First time at this property. Overall, what I kind of expected. Basic, clean, nothing too terribly special. It's more or less Courtyard rooms and layout combined with a wine country-style entertainment area and restaurant. The CL is comfortable. We didn't enjoy the CL much due to the other folks in there.

We arrived on a Friday night, and there was a wine tasting going on in the CL. Great fellow - it was his own 10 acre property and it was truly his - he was even in the promo photos on the brochure. We started talking a bit about his place, yields, the year's harvest, etc. We kept getting interrupted by vacationers that looked at the tasting as a free wine bar. A few of them asked politely for a refill and it was clear that they were looking at it as a favor, but a number simply walked up and said "more pinot." I was pretty embarrassed, but the winemaker took it in stride, which made me more embarrassed.

Couple more notes. The spa is not part of the hotel. It's in a separate building on the other side of the parking lot. If you're looking for a romantic getaway in wine country, make sure you understand that this place does not have the views that you think of in wine country. The staff was welcoming and friendly, but it's at the foot of the valley in a developed area.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report, including those that don't understand wine tastings.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Napa Valley Marriott Mandatory Fee

I feel this hotel is average at best and because of it's location, it is a Cat. 8. Just noticed they have added a new daily fee to their room rate.

Please Note – A daily destination amenity fee of USD 20 added to room rate includes Preserve Spa access, bicycle rentals and more.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So a resort fee without classifying the hotel as a resort. Sneaky.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:25 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
These resort fees are getting ridiculous. Hopefully it is NOT only a matter of time until we start seeing these spread to city center properties (other than Las Vegas and the Le Parker Meridien in NYC... thankfully it's been awhile and other properties have not followed LPM's lead so far).
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
... and soon there will be an Elevator Fee, an Open Window Fee, and of course an AC Fee. I got worried my first trip to Europe where you had to use a keycard to turn the lights on when entering the room!

They will nickel and dime us to death. And lo and behold someone will have a novel idea and create an all-inclusive rate that does away with all the fees. Any bets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.