Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:40 am

Waikoloa Marriott on the Big Island

Looking at a weekend trip to Hawaii next month.

Anyone stay at this hotel? I am concerned about the renovations and how they are impacting guest services, etc.

I also have a reservation at the Sheraton.

What do you think?

I am a Marriott Platinum and a Starwood Gold - so not sure which loyalty to go with here!
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:01 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Here's a thread from August 2 that seems to answer your questions: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=Waikoloa
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:40 am

Thanks

That whole search thing is beyond me sometimes

Appreciate your help.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I was there 2 weeks ago (haven't updated the other thread yet). Other than no room service from 11a-5p, there was no impact that I suffered from the construction. Other than a lot of equipment in the back corner of the parking lot, and on some on some of the tennis courts, I didn't see/hear actual construction activity (I assume it was inside).

I suppose if you play tennis, the reduced capacity could be an issue.

I didn't stop by the Sheraton so I can't speak to a comparison.

The hotel was nice, but not extraordinary. The Hiton next door is huge and more upscale, and probably more $$$.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:16 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I agree with CPRich that the Hilton (HWV) is more upscale. It is also huge; I forget the exact number but something like 2000 to 3000 rooms (vs. < 600 at the Marriott Waikoloa when both towers are open). I ate dinner at the Kamuela Provision Company (KMP) at the HWV one night. It was an underwhelming experience. Food and service were just okay. Prices were high. Probably the best feature of the KMP would be the view of the ocean at sunset. We dined later in the evening and couldn't take advantage of the view. On a previous trip I ate at Donatoni's at the HWV. Food and service were good. I'd go back to that one. Overall, HWV feels like Disney world to me. Tram and boat ride between the towers. It has an artificial lagoon instead of a beach. Depends on what you're looking for. Some people really like the HWV. For more info, check out the Hilton Forum. There are a few bazillion threads on the HWV.

--Jon
Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
There are two towers Kamehameha and Ka’ahumanu and a separate small building which houses the Cabanas rooms. Currently, the entire Kamehameha tower is shut down and totally gutted for renovations. The Ka’ahumanu tower hasn’t been renovated yet.
Thanks for the detailed report. We check in next month for our second stay. We previously stayed in Oct 02 (when it was an Outrigger). We were very happy with our stay and look forward to returning.

We happened to get a GREAT oceanfront room last time. It was in the tower to the LEFT of the lobby and pool (ie. turn left from the lobby, use the bank of elevators around to the right). I don't recall which tower this is. I was curious -- is that the one that is closed? Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2005, 3:28 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
That tower (the one with the Cabana's building in front of it) was open during my stays. The tower to the right of the lobby was closed and gutted for renovations.

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Sep 7, 2005 at 3:43 pm
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
A quick follow-up to my post above. When I checked in, the told me the resort fee was optional since I was PLT, mandatory for other levels. I elected to take it, for the reasons noted above.

BUT - it did NOT include Valet parking. I had valet parked on arrival the first night and ended up paying for it (yes, I'm sure I could have whined and complained but there were many more important things to do).

It also did not include sunset appetizers, but did include 2 Mai Tais and free food for kids under 12.

They really should get the web site up to date with reality.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Like CPRich, I was told that as a Platinum the resort fee was optional. I also opted to take it as I took advantage of:

Self parking for 7 nites: 7x$7 = $49
Free Mai Tais (for 2) on 5 nites 10x $8 = $80
Free Keiki dinners for 2 kids (11 and under) on 2 nights 4 x $10 = $40
Free HSIA for 7 days 7x$ 9.95 = $70
Free Local calls, normally a $1 (but I could have used my cell)

So $240 of bennies for $105, not a bad deal. Didn't use the tennis or snorkel options as we had brought our own gear.

Incidentally the bartenders in the Clipper Lounge said we could have any drink we pleased as long as it was <= the price of a Mai Tai. My wife and I had the Lava Flows which were basically Pina Coladas with pureed strawberries added. Yum!

I had booked the $135 M11 rate and they balked at taking 3 Bonus Bucks. I said, OK, give me the $139 renovation rate that is available to everyone and take the BB, which they were happy to do.

As a Plat I was upgraded from Garden View to Ocean View on the 5th floor.

We enjoyed the Hawaii Calls restaurant (Bill was a great server), also the ribs at Big Island Steak House and the food at Merriman's and Daniel Thiebaut's. Saw red lava at Volcanoes NP. Couldn't get too close though as shelf is in danger of breaking off according to rangers.

Last edited by gardener; Sep 7, 2005 at 6:16 pm
Old Oct 22, 2005, 12:28 pm

Question Waikoloa Marriott-big Island

We are scheduled to use an award for our family at this property next summer. I am wondering if anyone has gotten a look at the new rooms or other improvement????
I'm anxiously awaiting to hear about the improvements and how far along they are

Thanks for any update!
CSBM
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:36 am

Programs: SWA, UA, Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
i'll be on big island next month (stayin up the road at hilton on award), so I'll check it out or you....i stayed there last year, it wasn;t bad...just need to expand pool area & update some rooms...but for mostart it's quite nice
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Anyone stay at the Marriott Waikoloa recently?

First I need to admit that I am an infidel from the Hilton board. I do however have a reservation later this week for the Waikoloa Marriott and have some concerns.

I did a search in this forum and it doesn't look like anyone has recently posted on this property, but in reading some recent reviews on tripadvisor it appears that the hotel is in the middle of a construction project.

It's well known that the reviews on tripadvisor vary greatly, but I'm trying to decide on whether I should keep this reservation or cancel and rebook elsewhere due to the construction.

I did call the hotel today and they confirmed the hotel is going through renovations, but also stepped around the answer quite a bit. Has anyone stayed their recently? If so, did the construction impact your stay?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:45 am

Location: newnan, ga, usa PM and 2mm Delta, LPM Marriott, Diamond Hyatt, Diamond Best Western, gold NW, Platinum 6C Priority
Marriott Waikoloa

We were there for dinner a few weeks back. The construction all appeared to be in parking and outdoor areas, not on the property itself. It was a pain getting in and out, but a very nice inner courtyard area with no sign of disruption. Good restauant as well!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

From the website ( info a little dated now) ;

http://www.marriotthawaii.com/agents/renov/waikoloa/

Renovations to the pool area and grounds until April 30th.

North Tower rooms should have been done by Feb 28th
South Tower rooms due to be finished by June 30th with lobby renovations during the summer.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
More recent posts regarding this hotel...including mine from a stay in Jan

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529759

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.