Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by ssafro1
Or lots of non Marriott related CC spend on that Visa!
every 3k spent would trigger an elite night credit .
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:53 am
alc

to everyone, in regarding my potential "2MM+ LT points" balance, it will be mainly coming from member-to-member transfer that I have schedule early next year.

Thanks for the respond about the rollover elite nights. I guess now I just need to decided if I will pull the trigger or not.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by sig05
Was able to get confirmation the other day that it is, in fact, the Group Posting Tool used to process points. I have removed identifying info:

Subject: Award Posted: Rewarding Events Group Posting Tool

DEAR . . .

Thank you for completing the Rewarding Events posting online for [hotel name] .

The Rewards member(s) below received the following points in their account based on the information entered.

Total Revenue: $50.00 USD

Primary Member
Name: [member name]
Acct: [MR #]
Meeting Date:
Marriott Rewards Points: 150
Date Posted:
Reference Number:

I was forwarded the email as confirmation of points posting from the hotel.
Were you able to find a $50 meeting through the online search, or did you need to request a quote/bid from a hotel. Cheapest I've found yet is $100.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Reid
Were you able to find a $50 meeting through the online search, or did you need to request a quote/bid from a hotel. Cheapest I've found yet is $100.
Had to negotiate the rate after receiving a $100 quote. I go for 30 minutes and have only signed a contract once because I go so often. I get charged a 22% service fee plus tax. Total ends up around $65. I don't know if this is a standard rate or not. The woman I deal with is leaving tomorrow, so we'll see if this deal continues or not. I ended up booking 3 more meetings to get me to 150 nights for the year.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by sig05
Had to negotiate the rate after receiving a $100 quote. I go for 30 minutes and have only signed a contract once because I go so often. I get charged a 22% service fee plus tax. Total ends up around $65. I don't know if this is a standard rate or not. The woman I deal with is leaving tomorrow, so we'll see if this deal continues or not. I ended up booking 3 more meetings to get me to 150 nights for the year.
That's good. I like that planning ahead to get to the 150. As long as they do rollover nights you are golden for next year!

I did get a $75 online but it was only once. I checked several cities the other day and everything was $100+ online. That is $100 plus 20% or so.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by alc
to everyone, in regarding my potential "2MM+ LT points" balance, it will be mainly coming from member-to-member transfer that I have schedule early next year.
I believe there is a 50,000 per year limit on member transfers in or out of your account other than needed for a specific redemption, so I'm not sure how you swing the 2 million.

I understand your plan of doubling up on meeting nights when you are above the rollover threshold, and did the same thing, but it will put me on track to get lifetime plat next year. My theory/hope is that they grandfather any existing lifetimes into whatever the 2018 program is. If the nights you plan to get don't qualify you for a gold or plat lifetime level, I would probably defer until you know what the new program requirements will be.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:47 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Rexkramer
I believe there is a 50,000 per year limit on member transfers in or out of your account other than needed for a specific redemption, so I'm not sure how you swing the 2 million.
It is 50K per member transferring out, but if you transferring to complete a booking, it can go over 50K. I already have multiple transfer in this year. Once the calendar rollover, plan to do a few more.

Originally Posted by Rexkramer
I understand your plan of doubling up on meeting nights when you are above the rollover threshold, and did the same thing, but it will put me on track to get lifetime plat next year. My theory/hope is that they grandfather any existing lifetimes into whatever the 2018 program is. If the nights you plan to get don't qualify you for a gold or plat lifetime level, I would probably defer until you know what the new program requirements will be.
Will see what happen, do hope they will grandfather and also transfer my SPG LT nights over as well.. not like what they did with Delta Hotels
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, Virgin America Elevate Gold, American Airlines AAdvantage
I just scheduled a couple of meetings at my local Courtyard then received a contract with all of the meetings outlined. Will I receive separate 10 elite qualifying nights for each meeting hosted, or I will be just receiving 10 nights total due to having only one contract?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by quikkings711
I just scheduled a couple of meetings at my local Courtyard then received a contract with all of the meetings outlined. Will I receive separate 10 elite qualifying nights for each meeting hosted, or I will be just receiving 10 nights total due to having only one contract?
You should get credit for each, but since it's under one contract, good chance they won't post it that way. Contact the property and see what they expect to do.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
You should get credit for each, but since it's under one contract, good chance they won't post it that way. Contact the property and see what they expect to do.
Hotel probably doesn't know the rules so I wouldn't try to ask them. I would cancel the extra room. Do each contract totally separate. Don't overthink it. Make a contract have a meeting. Do it again at same hotel or different. Remember no need to show up.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:43 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Hello,
I booked 2 separate meetings. Different weekends, different states. Did everything on line, received an email from each place saying thank you for booking and someone would contact me. Never received a contract from either one, never heard from anyone by phone, and now 3 weeks have passed and nothing. No charge on the credit either. Has anyone ever gotten their nights that this happened to on these boards? If so, did you contact them about it or did they just show up? Thank you for any help.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by mav
Hello,
I booked 2 separate meetings. Different weekends, different states. Did everything on line, received an email from each place saying thank you for booking and someone would contact me. Never received a contract from either one, never heard from anyone by phone, and now 3 weeks have passed and nothing. No charge on the credit either. Has anyone ever gotten their nights that this happened to on these boards? If so, did you contact them about it or did they just show up? Thank you for any help.
I had one like that recently but I was charged. That is, they never contacted me, after the initial email from central office, but they did charge me. They didn't post the nights/points. I replied after about two weeks to that initial booking email, from the central office, explained I didn't get my points/nights. They posted within a few hours. No biggie. The key difference is I was charged. You not being charged would tell me there was a break down somewhere. I would try again and use a different location.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:14 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I had one like that recently but I was charged. That is, they never contacted me, after the initial email from central office, but they did charge me. They didn't post the nights/points. I replied after about two weeks to that initial booking email, from the central office, explained I didn't get my points/nights. They posted within a few hours. No biggie. The key difference is I was charged. You not being charged would tell me there was a break down somewhere. I would try again and use a different location.
Thank you for your reply. It just seems odd. One meeting was in one city, the other in another city. I booked both on the Marriott website on two different days. I'm not sure if its a glitch in their system, or what.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:22 am

I've tried quite a few properties now, they all only quote me a *daily* rate - instead of $100 or so for an hour or two. For folks seeing success with lower rates, are you paying by the hour, or for a full day just in a very affordable market?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mav
Hello,
The exact same thing happened to me in the past 2 weeks. I contacted the Omaha group that e-mailed me the confirmation, and they told me to contact the hotel. I need the one meeting to hit platinum, and I'm not sure if I should try to book one more, or just wait to see if it eventually goes through. Of course I don't want to pay for an extra meeting since the extra nights won't benefit me next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.