Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Kaua'i Marriott Resort, HI [Leaving Marriott March, 2021]

Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
NOTE - This property will be leaving Marriott, currently targeted for March 1, 2021. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32943111-post126.html

Hotel website: Kauai Beach Marriott Resort

Hotel names: Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club, Marriott Resort Kauai, Kalapaki Beach Hotel, Kauai Beachfront Hotel, Kauai Beach Oceanfront Resort.

Note: Not to be confused with either Marriott's Kauai Lagoons - Kalanipuʻu (an adjacent MVC property) or Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club (another MVC property but in Poipu/Koloa)

Hat tip to VickiSoCal.

Resort fee(30) for for Gold/Plat includes, value in parentheses

Self parking (17)
Internet (15) used, but true value to G/P is 0.
2 complimentary mai-tai's, or coffees, or pastries,
2-Hr tennis (25)
Free long distance and local calls
Hula lessons
Yoga class
Kids 12 and under free breakfast with adult purchase
Free water bottle daily (5/day)
10% off cabana rentals (beach cabana is 50/day for elites, 55 for non, book way in advance, they only have 3)
Free appetizer at Kukui's with entree purchase

Hat tip to sorka:

At check-in, I have been told that since I was Platinum, I could either go with the resort fee or with the parking fee.

Property maps from May 2018:

Print Wikipost

Kaua'i Marriott Resort, HI [Leaving Marriott March, 2021]

Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See my followup post "she found us a king partial ocean view, and a 2 doubles, garden view, in the same tower, but different floors. On arriving at the rooms, the kids' garden view had what I would describe as a partial ocean view and we had what I would describe as a full ocean view"

We chose to be split from our (teenage) kids for the better view, to get connecting rooms we would have had to sacrifice the views.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
See my followup post "she found us a king partial ocean view, and a 2 doubles, garden view, in the same tower, but different floors. On arriving at the rooms, the kids' garden view had what I would describe as a partial ocean view and we had what I would describe as a full ocean view"

We chose to be split from our (teenage) kids for the better view, to get connecting rooms we would have had to sacrifice the views.
Thanks we will wait it out. By the way did you have to ask or did they just give?

Any favorite places to eat?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duke's, The Feral Pig and Kauai Pasta were our favorites near the hotel.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Duke's.
+1
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rstidolph
On the car rental:

Do you go back to the airport to rent, or do you rent your car onsite?
There is an Enterprise office on site, but taking a shuttle to the airport to rent a car for a portion of your stay really just takes a few minutes and you likely would get a more competitive car rental price. I usually take the shuttle to the airport route when I stay there (1-2 times a year).

Also, I third the Duke's suggestion.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Another vote for Duke's.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Duke's is my favorite restaurant on the island. I only stay at the Marriott for a few days bookending timeshare vacations and always eat at Duke's on those days--so I can charge the meals to the room and get extra MR points--plus a couple of days in between.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:53 am

Thank you all. Will definitely go to Dukes.

Any recommendations for breakfast?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:19 pm

Have arrived. Staying 9 days, two days paid on each end and a 7 day travel package in the middle. Original reservation was for garden, given a pool view on 6th floor which as water view from balcony. Not a great upgrade but nice room.

Have eaten at Dules and loved it and also at Portofino. Will not go back to Portofino.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by rstidolph
Have arrived. Staying 9 days, two days paid on each end and a 7 day travel package in the middle. Original reservation was for garden, given a pool view on 6th floor which as water view from balcony. Not a great upgrade but nice room.

Have eaten at Dules and loved it and also at Portofino. Will not go back to Portofino.
We didn't like Portofino either. The Maitre D was pretentious and made us wait even though we had a reservation. Service was spotty during the meal and the food was overpriced. This was about 6 years ago. We ate at Duke's that stay and then again during our stay at Kauai Lagoons about 2 years ago. Dukes is consistent and always nice.

--Jon
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:42 pm

Finished our 9 nights on the 19th. Had a great time. Upgraded to a pool view on the 5th floor. View of the ocean from balcony. Definitely would stay here again. However was not impressed with the hotel's food. Ate at Duke's three times and off property at least four times.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:55 pm

Gold Bennies

As a new Gold what do I expect at this Hotel? Do you get a cont.
breakfast?

thanks
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by trk1
As a new Gold what do I expect at this Hotel? Do you get a cont.
breakfast?

thanks
No breakfast it is a resort. Ask for a pool view at least. We enjoyed our location
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Have there been any changes to the resort fee now that internet is free for all rewards members? If you're not parking a car, I'm not sure how to justify the fee at this point.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I had two brief stays here as gold at the end of January and mid-February, bookends to a timeshare vacation.

First stay was one night. Arrived around 9:30 p.m., dead tired. When I checked in, I had already been upgraded to a king deluxe oceanview room. The room was large with both a sofabed and an extra couch. However, it didn't have a lanai. Not a problem for a one-night stay.

The desk clerk asked if I had a car; I didn't. The next morning I realized I hadn't received any of the coupons that come with the resort fee. Since I didn't care about them, I figured I'd protest the fee when I checked out because I didn't get any of the benefits. When I checked out, the resort fee wasn't on my folio, so I didn't ask about it.

Second stay was for two nights. Told the desk clerk I didn't have a car (and Internet was free for golds), so she waived the resort fee. Last year I tried to get this fee waived for the same reasons, but had to pay it. When I checked out, $17 parking fee per night was on my folio. Got it removed easily.

I asked about an upgrade with a lanai. Didn't get an ocean view, but the lanai was more important to me. I was offered the elite gift (shouldn't have been since I found out later it's for plats only), a basket of envelopes with a variety of free items inside. I drew a free refillable mug. Since I was there for only two days, that wasn't of value to me and the clerk offered points instead. A couple of weeks later 500 points posted to my account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.