Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Kaua'i Marriott Resort, HI [Leaving Marriott March, 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
NOTE - This property will be leaving Marriott, currently targeted for March 1, 2021. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32943111-post126.html

Hotel website: Kauai Beach Marriott Resort

Hotel names: Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club, Marriott Resort Kauai, Kalapaki Beach Hotel, Kauai Beachfront Hotel, Kauai Beach Oceanfront Resort.

Note: Not to be confused with either Marriott's Kauai Lagoons - Kalanipuʻu (an adjacent MVC property) or Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club (another MVC property but in Poipu/Koloa)

Hat tip to VickiSoCal.

Resort fee(30) for for Gold/Plat includes, value in parentheses

Self parking (17)
Internet (15) used, but true value to G/P is 0.
2 complimentary mai-tai's, or coffees, or pastries,
2-Hr tennis (25)
Free long distance and local calls
Hula lessons
Yoga class
Kids 12 and under free breakfast with adult purchase
Free water bottle daily (5/day)
10% off cabana rentals (beach cabana is 50/day for elites, 55 for non, book way in advance, they only have 3)
Free appetizer at Kukui's with entree purchase

Hat tip to sorka:

At check-in, I have been told that since I was Platinum, I could either go with the resort fee or with the parking fee.

Property maps from May 2018:

Print Wikipost

Kaua'i Marriott Resort, HI [Leaving Marriott March, 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
OK, kind of an off-the-wall question. I read on an old TripAdvisor post that the Marriott beach is the place for beach volleyball in Kauai. Are the games very locals only? If a 15 year old tourist girl who is a decent player showed up would she be welcomed in a pickup game?
The 3 times we've stayed at the Marriott Timeshare over the years I've only seen limited volleyball on the beach. They do have good courts set up. I have not seen any serious beach volleyball played there. The games seemed to be among friends. I would assume a 15 yo girl with decent skills can ask to join if there's any game going on.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just returned from a 5 night stay. Loved it! Would definitely return. We had two rooms, one on points, one $$, both were booked at the lowest level (garden view). When we checked in the clerk asked what our priorities were- bed choice, adjoining rooms, or views? We told her bed was number 1, we need a king, the kids need doubles, and view was second, adjoining rooms last, since kids are now 12 and 15 and well able to look after themselves. She found us a king partial ocean view, and a 2 doubles, garden view, in the same tower, but different floors. On arriving at the rooms, the kids' garden view had what I would describe as a partial ocean view and we had what I would describe as a full ocean view. I will try to post pictures later. Resort fee was waived for the points room, was not for our room. Resort fee(30) for for Gold/Plat includes, value in parentheses

Self parking (17) used
Internet (15) used, but true value to G/P is 0. They also comped internet for the kids' room.
2 complimentary mai-tai's, or coffees, or pastries, used for coffee/pastry at the breakfast cafe, they gave us 2 coffees and 2 pastries
2-Hr tennis (25)
Free long distance and local calls
Hula lessons
Yoga class (really wanted to do this but didn't make it)
Kids 12 and under free breakfast with adult purchase (used twice)
Free water bottle daily (5/day) took one every day on my run
10% off cabana rentals, used (beach cabana is 50/day for elites, 55 for non, book way in advance, they only have 3)
Free appetizer at Kukui's with entree purchase

PS the kid managed to get in on several volleyball games with a mixed group of local and visiting kids her age and held her own. Sundays and Wednesdays are v-ball days according to the kids she talked to.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update! Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Does anyone have an email address for a manager at this property? Please PM me
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Any recent stays. Planning on a stay in January
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I have this listed in the exec lounge sticky, but I'm pretty sure it's out of date. Anyone have more recent info. I know we have a wiki showing a $30 resort fee & what it includes, but no word on whether it's waived for Plats still.

* Kauai / Marriott Resort / NO LOUNGE; report that $25 resort fee is waived for Plat (if have a car, would be charged for parking); 11/11/12 update

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:02 pm

Help with Choices

I am planning on staying here in January 2015 and as an east coast person who has rarely been to Hawaii I would like some help choosing how to book my stay. I am Platinum, not that I think it matters

Choice One. Use 240,000 points for seven nights in a Garden View room

Choice Two Pay $279 per night plus fee and taxes for each of 7 nights.

Choice Three Purchase a one week one bedroom rental on the internet for about $1,600.00 (These appear to be ocean front)

Never stayed at the property so I have no idea if the vacation club units are better located or are mixed in with the hotel units.

Also do I save any fees if I the Vacation Club (taxes? Parking? Resort?)

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by rstidolph; Nov 12, 2014 at 7:08 am
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:26 am

Still looking for someone with prior recent stays on Kauai. I have looked at all the prior threads and most seem to be more than a year old.

Also wondering if makes sense to use the shuttle and delay renting a car until I want to make day trips.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rstidolph
Never stayed at the property so I have no idea if the vacation club units are better located or are mixed in with the hotel units.

The Kauai Beach Club timeshare units are in a tower integrated with the hotel. You pay only for parking, not the resort fee. There's a separate timeshare property close to the hotel--Kauai Lagoons.

I stay at this hotel 1-2 nights before and usually a few nights after my timeshare stay up the road. I've quit getting a rental car for those days to save money and because there are plenty of restaurants close by. It's also easier picking up and dropping off the car without dealing with luggage.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by linsj
The Kauai Beach Club timeshare units are in a tower integrated with the hotel. You pay only for parking, not the resort fee. There's a separate timeshare property close to the hotel--Kauai Lagoons.

I stay at this hotel 1-2 nights before and usually a few nights after my timeshare stay up the road. I've quit getting a rental car for those days to save money and because there are plenty of restaurants close by. It's also easier picking up and dropping off the car without dealing with luggage.
On the car rental:

Do you go back to the airport to rent, or do you rent your car onsite?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I am planning on staying here in January 2015 and as an east coast person who has rarely been to Hawaii I would like some help choosing how to book my stay. I am Platinum, not that I think it matters

Choice One. Use 240,000 points for seven nights in a Garden View room

Choice Two Pay $279 per night plus fee and taxes for each of 7 nights.

Choice Three Purchase a one week one bedroom rental on the internet for about $1,600.00 (These appear to be ocean front)

If "from the Internet" means Marriott.com (or the MVCI website), I'd do Choice 3 every time.

If "from the Internet" means "some guy on eBay", I would probably redeem points. The clincher would be if I had 360,000 points and could make it a Travel Package.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
If "from the Internet" means Marriott.com (or the MVCI website), I'd do Choice 3 every time.

If "from the Internet" means "some guy on eBay", I would probably redeem points. The clincher would be if I had 360,000 points and could make it a Travel Package.
In choice one it will be a package for 340,000 with 100,000 aa miles

The internet means Redweek
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
On the car rental:

Do you go back to the airport to rent, or do you rent your car onsite?
I take the Marriott shuttle back to the airport for a car. Since I have two weeks at a timeshare, I want a car for that time. I don't need a car for a night or two on either end when I stay at the Marriott.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In choice one it will be a package for 340,000 with 100,000 aa miles

The internet means Redweek
I know nothing about Redweek.

Thinking about my own situation, I'd be tempted to do the Travel Package for one simple reason: it's a rare case where I want a full one-week-long stay at a single Marriott. Kauai is one of those places where I'd do it, even with all of the drawbacks of a "resort" property.

If I recall correctly, there was an excellent breakfast spot walking distance from the hotel. (I'd damn sure make it a point to not spend a single dime on breakfast *at* the hotel.) I remember it being a two-level place...we ate on the roof of the restaurant, outdoors, a couple times. That would be my game plan, *if* that place still exists...

On our trip there, we had a rental car the entire week. We did not spend any full days at the hotel...an afternoon here or there at the pool. In Waikiki you could probably get away with just doing day rentals because there's so much activity right there near the big hotels, but on Kauai we wanted to be able to drive around to different parts of the island each day. (It's still our favorite island of all.)
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Just got our welcome email for our 5 night stay in April and this is the verbiage on upgrades

We do recognize your Platinum Status and we thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. With your status, you do qualify for a complimentary room upgrade pending availability at check in. We kindly ask that you inquire with the Front Desk agent for availability. If available (up to a deluxe ocean view), we will offer you an upgraded room at no cost. In regards to confirming an upgrade prior to your arrival, we can offer you special discounted rates. Please let us know if you are interested and we can discuss these rates. Please understand that all upgrades are pending available inventory at the time of request. Currently, you are confirmed in a Garden view category room.
Heading there soon. Got almost exactly the same email

How did it work out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.