Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Really liking the Spring Hill Suites brand!

Really liking the Spring Hill Suites brand!

Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott, United, Enterprise
Originally Posted by travelingsalesgal
This is exactly what breakfast was this morning.. There was a waffle maker, wooo! But otherwise just a cheapie spread.
I haven't seen a donut at a continental breakfast at any MAR property in over five years, too bad but probably good for my blood sugar, lol. I wish that their cooler full of 100 pints of milk contained a few chocolate ones, too.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by sixsixsixtynine
I haven't seen a donut at a continental breakfast at any MAR property in over five years, too bad but probably good for my blood sugar, lol. I wish that their cooler full of 100 pints of milk contained a few chocolate ones, too.
Oh wow, I have a hankering for a chocolate milk now! They had some pastries this morning- cherry, apple, and some cinnamon muffin contraptions, but I skipped them and had granola.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
SHS Baltimore Downtown / Inner Harbor

I am unfamiliar with this brand as a Hilton guy (still Hilton Honors VIP Diamond). The company I am interviewing with is putting me up here (after being laid off for a year and a half, I have high hopes).

Just curious about anyone's experiences. Is it like a Homewood Suites?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by sixsixsixtynine
I had chocolate milk at the SHS IAD a few weeks ago. Yum!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 2:02 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by TransCon1
I am unfamiliar with this brand as a Hilton guy (still Hilton Honors VIP Diamond). The company I am interviewing with is putting me up here (after being laid off for a year and a half, I have high hopes).

Just curious about anyone's experiences. Is it like a Homewood Suites?
No, the Residence Inn brand at Marriott is what compares to HSuites. Springhill is more of one large room that is semi divided with a partial wall, a micro & fridge, etc. breakfast ( of sorts ) and free i'net is included.

Good luck with your interview....

Last edited by sophiegirl; Nov 27, 2010 at 2:10 am
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I haven't stayed in many SHS, but did recently at IAH which is the 'new' version. Definitely impressed w/ it, including the waffle maker that makes waffles in the shape of Texas

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l-airport.html

Also stayed at ORD SHS for ORD Seminar Do. I was upgraded to a corner suite which was huge.

SHS is now in my mix of hotels to stay at, especially if it's a weekend & FS properties have exec lounges closed.

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I haven't stayed in many SHS, but did recently at IAH which is the 'new' version. Definitely impressed w/ it,
Cheers.
I had my first encounter with the new version at Austin/Round Rock last month. Much like the refresh of the lobby and "bistro" at CY, I'm not sure what the point was. . The original concept was perfectly fine.

I like the brand. I like the concept. But I'm not ready to join the love fest. As has been pointed out by others...some of the older properties appear to have been rather cheaply constructed and/or seem to have gotten a bit shabby before their time. Like others, I've also had issues with the HSIA at some properties. Also the fact that this brand appeals to families, increases the possibility that there'll be teenagers hanging out and hogging the computers in the business center.

Then there's the breakfast spread. Not bad, but which also at some properties seems to have succumbed to the efforts of the cost-cutters. So I can't often disagree with the "cheap spread" designation.

Mrs. Cyberdad also has an issue with what she feels to be the confining nature of the sleeping area, and for that reason won't stay there.

I also agree that what you're getting here is not what many would consider to be a suite, but more like a "studio". A slightly larger room with a partial divider and separate kitchen and work areas. The sleeper sofa as a sofa is relaxing enough....but at some properties opening it to a bed turns your "suite" into an obstacle course!

But for me, the pluses do outweigh the minuses. Nice work area, fridge, microwave, sink (and real glassware), a breakfast which is still free and adequate, if unremarkable. Price-value relationship is usually quite good.

And yes....put one of these in the same neighborhood as a CY, and I'd almost certainly opt for the SHS.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:39 pm

I'm confused. You're comparing the old & new but your dislikes are primarily (not all) about the old.

And hey, the SHS rooms/suites are still larger & offer more than a regular CY, so totally confused on that one.

BTW - Mrs Cyberdad might not be happy about brekkie at SHS, but she doesn't get one at CY so again confused on the comparison.

I'm quite happy about the new SHS (or at least at IAH) having a bar & restaurant meals, which you don't get at the old SHS.

So it will be a cold day in hades before I'll stay at a CY for the reasons FTers complain about on this forum. While I usually stay at FS, SHS is now in my mix.

PS - I think I lucked out cuz my last 3 stays at SHS I got huge rooms. The one in ORD, while not renovated, I could have held the Freddies after-party at!

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by sfobound
The SHS at IAH is one of the new concept properties, too. Felt kinda like one of those IKEA floor model rooms, but in a good way. Only complaint: The shower is in one bath area and the sink/toilet is in another. That struck me as a little strange.
Are you saying that the "bath" with the shower did not have a sink?
If so, I have not seen that in any other property...the ones i have seen with this room model, BOTH bath area's had a sink...but the toilet was in one, the shower in the other. I quite liked that - it made it much easier to get ready in the AM when Mr Sophie was with me. If, though, there was only one sink, then I agree - rather odd.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Are you saying that the "bath" with the shower did not have a sink?
If so, I have not seen that in any other property...the ones i have seen with this room model, BOTH bath area's had a sink...but the toilet was in one, the shower in the other. I quite liked that - it made it much easier to get ready in the AM when Mr Sophie was with me. If, though, there was only one sink, then I agree - rather odd.
I think he meant the toilet/sink was separate from the shower/sink, but that both had a sink. I actually prefer it that way. If by chance you had a guest in the room, they could do their bizness in the toilet/sink room & not be in the shower room w/ all your toiletries out & about.

BTW - the IAH SHS had a rain forest shower - cool!

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:08 pm

Follow Up on Three Stays

I had asked a qustion about Springhill back in November, but failed to update with a report back. I am supplying that here.

The first visit in November to the SpringHill Inner Harbor Baltimore was my first experience with a Springhill Suites. Although I am a Marriott Rewards Gold, I am mostly a Hilton guy (Hilton Honors VIP Diamond for the past three years), I was on a job interview with a major Baltimore company, and they selected the hotel. It really was a pleasant surprise. The room was spacious and clean. I liked having (sort of) two rooms. The furnishings and finish is more like a Courtyard or a Hampton Inn than an Embassy Suites or a Homewood Suite, with which I am more familiar.

Service was very friendly and efficient. No recognition of my Marriott Rewards status, but my profile preference for a room on a high floor away from the elevator seems to have been noted on the first and third visits -- on the second stay I was smack in front of the elevators. Breakfast was the usual deal with oatmeal, eggs (small cheese omlets), ham, and usual breads, waffles, coffee, juice, etc. No problems there, but nothing exciting. The business center was nice, free and everything worked (computer and printer is what I used). It was only "occupied" and unavailable once in three trips.

There are lots of restaurants/drug store / Dunkin Doughnuts, etc. around the hotel. The front desk gave me a stack of menus for delivery places and used them on the last visit. Decent Chinese right around the corner, but it was snowing with an inch or two on the ground already at dinner time. So nice to have a delivery.

The last visit, I asked for and received an upgrade to a corner suite. I was not prepared for how large it was -- it was huge. It also made a lot more sense to have two TVs in a room this large. The regular rooms practically have the two TVs next to each other. This upgrade followed a positive review on TripAdvisor and the prospect that I was going to be spending a lot of time at the hotel is I got the job I was interviewing for. I am also Marriott Gold.

Despite nearly 40 individual interviews (I am not kidding . . . this after being unemployed for nearly two years) and three trips to Baltimore (last visit was two days), I didn't get the job. I found out the the manager mentioned my TripAdvisor review to the company and the hiring manager commented on it in our talks. It was a positive review and not the end of the world to have it disclosed, but not really the level privacy and discretion that I would have expected from the manager.

Anyway, I probably will not be back to this property, but I have formed a positive view of the brand and will look out for it when i travel.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TransCon1
I found out the the manager mentioned my TripAdvisor review to the company and the hiring manager commented on it in our talks. It was a positive review and not the end of the world to have it disclosed, but not really the level privacy and discretion that I would have expected from the manager.
I dont mean to be mean but the internet is a public domain - anything one posts there should always be considered to be public and can't ever be deleted - most hotels will use the reviews they've received to showcase to companies how well they take care of their travs, social media is huge these days

PS sorry you didn't get the job but if a positive review is really what tipped the scale away from you do you really think you'd like working for them?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
I agree - SHS is an awesome brand. I've only stayed in the older (yet still new-feeling properties) and look forward to trying the "aqua" version.

FF is pretty good too, RI is good except for that it only awards 5 points/dollar. I have long maintained that the CY brand is worthless - what's the benefit?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ramalama8
I agree - SHS is an awesome brand. I've only stayed in the older (yet still new-feeling properties) and look forward to trying the "aqua" version.
The "aqua" versions are terrific, great lobbies and awesome rooms.....unfortunately my generation isn't what the design team is targeting (sucks getting older but it's a lot of fun too)
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:50 pm

You Missed The Point

Originally Posted by socrates
I dont mean to be mean but the internet is a public domain - anything one posts there should always be considered to be public and can't ever be deleted - most hotels will use the reviews they've received to showcase to companies how well they take care of their travs, social media is huge these days

PS sorry you didn't get the job but if a positive review is really what tipped the scale away from you do you really think you'd like working for them?
Not to be mean either, but you have totally missed the point of my comments . . . I wasn't saying that the knowledge by the company of my review had any effect on my candidacy. And yes, after being unemployed in the financial services industry for two years now, I did want the job. And yes the internet is public. But the manager only knew who I was because I told him I was the one who did the review (i.e. told him my handle on TripAdvisor). The company only found out because the hotel manager told the recruiting manager from the company (who makes the arrangements) about my review, who in turn told the hiring manager. Yes it was a positive review, and was upgraded (in part) because of it on a following visit so I don't think anyone was upset or anything. It was the disclosure by the hotel manager of my review that was less than a positive experience for me in an otherwise great stay (flawless, really). I just didn't expect this lack of discretion from the manager. Maybe that was a misplaced trust in retrospect and I have learned my lesson (maybe this is your point(?)). I do expect people to be able to see what I write on the internet. Obviously, that is the point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.