Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Greensboro, NC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Member, Starwood, Hilton Honors

Hello,

I'm deciding on attending a workshop that's being held next week in Greensboro, NC. I was interested in the Greensboro Marriott Downtown on Greene Street.

Please advise about this hotel and/or any other recommendations for hotels near North Carolina A&T University.

Thanks.
Old May 27, 2010, 2:28 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
There are two full service properties, the downtown property and the hotel at the airport. Both are not "near" A&T university, but Greensboro is a small city (as far as cities in the world go) and although I like the one downtown, either is fine.

There are a few courtyards/fairfield inns to choose from as well.

The downtown hotel is kind of dead on the weekends, but can be busy if there is a convention in town.

Billy
Old May 27, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH
I would agree w/Billy. At the Wendover exit on I40 is a nice SHS as well as a pretty new FFI. Not quite as close to A&T but are good properties
Old May 27, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I used to stay at the GSO FS Downtown often. The people are great, but the hotel itself is somewhat dowdy. It's the kind of downtown hotel that every city used to have, but in almost every other city, it's been updated. You can really feel the eighties when you walk in.

Advantages of the Downtown FS: There are a few nice, interesting restaurants and bars within walking distance. There are a few large businesses with headquarters or significant operations within a couple blocks of this hotel, so the hotel is usually well staffed so as to not upset the bigwigs from those businesses who stay there often.

Recently, I've stayed at the CY that is not far from the airport and the SHS on Wendover. Both are good hotels - nothing fancy - but the SHS is in a nicer location.

BUT, if you're willing to consider a non-Marriott option, the O. Henry Hotel is one of the finest lodging establishments in the nation. Great service. The cleanest hotel in the world. Very comfortable. Truly a spectacular place to spend a couple nights.

The Proximity Hotel is relatively new, right by the O.Henry and also very, very, very nice. It's owned by the same husband and wife. (These are full size hotels, with nice restaurants, and are essentially family owned.)

Finally, the Grandover is an elegant resort, just outside of Greensboro. If I remember correctly, the ACC headquarters are in the same area.

I would stay at any of these three hotels, even though they are a little farther than the FS.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:54 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Update on GSO downtown

I spent two nights at this place last week. Please, if you have any sense at all, avoid like the plague. It is a shocking advert for the Marriott brand. It is so far behind even average Marriotts (I write from Marriott Crabtree, Raleigh, which is average). And compared with some of the great hotels elsewhere in GSO, mentioned above, it is shocking.
The list of grumbles is long. Dirty bathroom on 'first use' (it is amazing who you notice from a sitting position), mould in the bath, noisy as hell. But the tin lid, the oranges in the fruit bowl at Saturday breakfast, welded together with blue/green mould.
Then they sent me a "guest satisfaction survey". I will be interested to see if they get back to me. I did use the "d" word - dump. Which brings me back......
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Have stayed in Greensboro many times...would agree with poor descriptions of the downtown FS property...saying "you can feel the eighties when you walk in" is a stretch...I would say you feel the fifties...My recommendation would be the FS Marriott Airport...I always find it fresh, comfortable, easy to get in and out... You may want to have a GPS with updated maps as the roads to the airport have changed within the last couple of years...The property has no suites but the corner rooms behind the elevators are significantly larger...Plan on eating at the restaurant (which is fine), as with many airport locations, there is little nearby...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Anyone know if the downtown and airport properties have exec lounge open on the weekends? If not, do they offer brekkie coupons? If closed, are they key accessible for soft drinks? Do they have free wifi or i-net terminals? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx!

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Hello,

I stayed at these two hotels in August of this year.

Greensboro-High Point Marriott Airport

Hotel was very nice...nice rooms...I got upgraded to the conciergo level as a Gold member. I stayed on a Wednesday, so I was able to get drinks etc in the evening in the exec lounge...wifi was available also. I was also able to order room service the next morning for breakfast and they counted that as my "free breakfast" per gold status...

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...riott-airport/

SpringHill Suites Greensboro

Stayed here 1 night as well. Nice swimming pool...nice breakfast...the marriott was hoenstly about $20 less when using my companies corporate rate. This springhill has more restaurants around it and things to drive or walk to. The Marriott above was literally on the grounds of the airport, so you have to drive far to get to any food.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...es-greensboro/

In the end, the fs Marriott is a nicer hotel, but if you want things within the area to do, go with the springhill.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Anyone know if the downtown and airport properties have exec lounge open on the weekends? If not, do they offer brekkie coupons? If closed, are they key accessible for soft drinks? Do they have free wifi or i-net terminals? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx!

Cheers.
airport location lounge not open on weekends...I've always been offered brekkie coupons...would say that the lounge is NOT key accessible for soft drinks...free wifi in room only for those who have qualifing status...lobby may have free wifi for all...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:17 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Downtown GSO

The exec lounge was closed on the weekend. I had breakfast in the disgusting buffet (mouldy oranges). The twpsyn fawr trainee was unsure whether or not she could remove the 12 buck charge. I left.
Wireless is free. Use it to find the address of another hotel.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:21 pm

I was on a project for over a year in Greensboro and only stayed at the 2 Marriotts. I started at the downtown location. They were world class at fixing mistakes but they wore me out with the number of mistakes and issues I had there. Once they even gave me active keys for a room that someone was occupying. We were both shocked when my key opened the door and they were (thankfully clothed) sitting on their bed.

Airport Marriott is the BEST Marriott location I have ever stayed and I'm Platinum Premier Elite. Never had any problems and staff is over the top GREAT! Highly recommend GSO Airport Marriott even if you have to travel a few extra miles. Greensboro is pretty, so the drive won't hurt ya'
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:46 pm

FS Marriott - Piedmont Triad Int'l Airport (GSO)

My wife and I spent last Saturday evening here, using the Chase CC annual one night award.

The arrival experience was fine, and the room, while on the small side was recently renovated in the prevailing Marriott FS style.

The CL lounge was closed and the Platinum breakfast in the dining room was mediocre, at best. (I should point out that we were offered 750 Rewards points in lieu of the breakfast, which I normally accept when traveling solo.)

We were not permitted to order off of the breakfast menu, and the buffet offerings probably met the basic Marriott standards, and nothing more. (My wife commented that the breakfast at the FI in downtown Winston-Salem was superior.) To pour salt into the wound, there was a $3.00 up charge for for an omelette or any special egg dish. The servers were overwhelmed, as the property was busy, but they managed to be cheerful and helpful.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I take it that it would still be the case that the executive lounge at the Greensboro airport Marriott is closed on the weekends? I am looking at this upcoming weekend if that matters.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:13 pm

Also have stayed at both FS properties multiple times. The downtown property has been remodeled. While it once did give the 50's feeling, it by no means does today. have had exceptional service, at the front desk as well as in the Concierge Lounge. And they do have suites. You would not be disappointed staying there.
The High Point/Greensboro property at the airport is a smaller property. And while they have no suites, the rooms in the corner behind and just to the left of the elevator are larger. You will feel the Southern hospitality just upon arrival. And your stay will be great.
Would certainly stay at one of these two vrs. the CY, SHS, or FI.
Additionally, also agree with CJ in his comment that if you chose to stay at a non-Marriott, the O'Henry and Grandover are excellent choices but be prepared to pay a premium.
Let us know where you decided to stay.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Xeno
I take it that it would still be the case that the executive lounge at the Greensboro airport Marriott is closed on the weekends? I am looking at this upcoming weekend if that matters.
For the benefit of anyone searching, I called the Greensboro airport Marriott today. I was told that on the weekend they provide vouchers for a "full continental breakfast". I take this to mean little things like cereal and she said no buffet.

She went on to say they give $10 for "drinks" with evening meals on the weekend.

They have a good rate this weekend, but I think I will pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.