FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Recent changes to MR definition of "nights" on marriott.com? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1081054-recent-changes-mr-definition-nights-marriott-com.html)

DillMan May 3, 2010 11:25 am

Recent changes to MR definition of "nights" on marriott.com?

I couldn't find an old thread that would accommodate both of these questions:

1.) Sometime overnight, my MR profile on marriott.com changed to include my lifetime nights total. In the past I've briefly seen messages that said "Thanks for [1,000/2,000] nights of loyalty", but these seemed to come and go on their own. I know my lifetime totals weren't displaying last night as I spent a good amount of time on marriott.com booking this week's hotels and contemplating how many travel packages I'm going to redeem before Marriott and AA part ways. I certainly would have noticed it.

2.) I did notice one change yesterday, however. When I click on "Marriott Rewards" on the top menu bar, the main MR page is now also showing my "Rollover Nights". I can still access my YTD nights by clicking on the "My Account" link.

So this leads me to my question. I'm showing 201 Nights for this year and 49 rollover nights. I understand that the 201 nights are for the renewal of my Platinum Premier status for this year, however, I'm confused by the rollover nights number. Does this mean that there are 49 rollover nights from 2009 included in my 2010 number or does this mean that I'm rolling 49 nights from my 2010 re-qualification in to 2011? Either way, the 49 nights number doesn't seem to make sense.

texdoc May 3, 2010 11:37 am

I saw the total nights thing this morning.

Didn't see the rollover thing you were talking about. Though, I would think the roll-over nights are in the 201 total you mentioned.

star_world May 3, 2010 11:46 am

I'm curious about how you are on 201 nights after only 121 nights in total this year :)

texdoc May 3, 2010 11:48 am

That is why I figured the 49 nights are part of the 201. You couldn't get 201 nights this calendar year. If you spent almost every night for the last 4 mos + 49 nights you could get 201.

ukswift88 May 3, 2010 11:52 am

The rollover nights are from last year, the total nights include any promos (such as 10 nights from MR credit card)

DillMan May 3, 2010 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by texdoc (Post 13890311)
That is why I figured the 49 nights are part of the 201. You couldn't get 201 nights this calendar year. If you spent almost every night for the last 4 mos + 49 nights you could get 201.

I'm sure I had some rollover nights from last year, which would account for some of the 201 nights. Before rollover nights, I normally ended the year with 450+nights anyway. This is because I use a lot of extended stay hotels and if I'm only leaving for 2-4 nights, I'll stay checked in to that hotel and leave some of my stuff behind rather than lug it to wherever I'm going for my short trip. Also, most cities/states rebate the hotel taxes after 30/60/90 consecutive nights, so If I'm staying at hotel X for $149/night for 100 nights and my taxes are 16%, I'm saving $2,384 in taxes during my entire stay. If I have to leave that hotel for, say, 3 nights after I've only been checked in for 30 days, I'll forfeit the $2,384 savings, so it is cheaper to pay $149/night x the 3 nights I'll be gone ($447 total) and just not use the room.

In the above example, I can actually leave that hotel for a total of 16 nights and stay ahead. I may choose to leave it checked in for more nights if I am in a situation where I have a bunch of "stuff" with me. I might figure it is cheaper (for me) to end up burning up my $2384 savings from the tax abatement and even pay money out of pocket if I can avoid having to lug a bunch of stuff around when I'm leaving for short trips.

So, back to my question above, if I have 201 nights YTD and some of them are rollover, what is the significance of the "49 rollover nights" figure. That number seems way too low to be the rollover nights brought over from 2009, but could it be the rollover nights that will be attributed to 2011? That would make more sense. If I recall correctly, you cannot rollover any nights in to the next year until you've completed 75 paid stays (thus you can't stay 225 nights and then rollover for 3 years. The rollover counter only starts for the next year after you've completed your 75th stay), so if that's the case, maybe I rolled over 77 nights from 2009. The math would be: 201 Elite Qualifying Nights for 2010 made up of 77 rollover nights from 2009 and 124 paid stays in 2010. So if that is correct, 124 nights in 2010 minus the 75 required for Plat = 49 extra nights rolling over in to 2011. Of course, 77 nights seems awful low but I don't keep good records on total stays because I never have problems with re-qualification.

Of course that's just an educated guess.

qazw1 May 3, 2010 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by DillMan (Post 13890576)
I'm sure I had some rollover nights from last year, which would account for some of the 201 nights. Before rollover nights, I normally ended the year with 450+nights anyway. This is because I use a lot of extended stay hotels and if I'm only leaving for 2-4 nights, I'll stay checked in to that hotel and leave some of my stuff behind rather than lug it to wherever I'm going for my short trip. Also, most cities/states rebate the hotel taxes after 30/60/90 consecutive nights, so If I'm staying at hotel X for $149/night for 100 nights and my taxes are 16%, I'm saving $2,384 in taxes during my entire stay. If I have to leave that hotel for, say, 3 nights after I've only been checked in for 30 days, I'll forfeit the $2,384 savings, so it is cheaper to pay $149/night x the 3 nights I'll be gone ($447 total) and just not use the room.

In the above example, I can actually leave that hotel for a total of 16 nights and stay ahead. I may choose to leave it checked in for more nights if I am in a situation where I have a bunch of "stuff" with me. I might figure it is cheaper (for me) to end up burning up my $2384 savings from the tax abatement and even pay money out of pocket if I can avoid having to lug a bunch of stuff around when I'm leaving for short trips.

So, back to my question above, if I have 201 nights YTD and some of them are rollover, what is the significance of the "49 rollover nights" figure. That number seems way too low to be the rollover nights brought over from 2009, but could it be the rollover nights that will be attributed to 2011? That would make more sense. If I recall correctly, you cannot rollover any nights in to the next year until you've completed 75 paid stays (thus you can't stay 225 nights and then rollover for 3 years. The rollover counter only starts for the next year after you've completed your 75th stay), so if that's the case, maybe I rolled over 77 nights from 2009. The math would be: 201 Elite Qualifying Nights for 2010 made up of 77 rollover nights from 2009 and 124 paid stays in 2010. So if that is correct, 124 nights in 2010 minus the 75 required for Plat = 49 extra nights rolling over in to 2011. Of course, 77 nights seems awful low but I don't keep good records on total stays because I never have problems with re-qualification.

Of course that's just an educated guess.

How do you go about getting the rebate of the hotel taxes? Do you pay first and then they pay you back? Also, how can you tell which cities have this policy?

SaintsFan May 3, 2010 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by DillMan (Post 13890576)
So, back to my question above, if I have 201 nights YTD and some of them are rollover, what is the significance of the "49 rollover nights" figure.

Looking at the details of my account online (My Marriott Rewards Account - Marriott Rewards Account Activity) the rollover nights shown are clearly the nights that rolled over from 2009 to 2010.

But now I just noticed something I don't recall seeing before:

Nights this year: ## (= sum of next two rows)
Nights Stayed ##
Bonus Nights ## (= sum of next four rows)
Promotional: ##
Marriott Rewards Credit Card: ##
Rewarding Events: 0
Rollover Nights: ##

What are rewarding event nights?

mjh5o May 3, 2010 2:25 pm

"rewarding events" are nights earned from hosting events at marriott. In addition to points, I believe you get 10 nights toward elite credit for each event (meetings, weddings, etc.) you host at a marriott.

SaintsFan May 3, 2010 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by mjh5o (Post 13891510)
"rewarding events" are nights earned from hosting events at marriott. In addition to points, I believe you get 10 nights toward elite credit for each event (meetings, weddings, etc.) you host at a marriott.

Thank you!

rthib May 3, 2010 9:50 pm

Last Years Rollover

Looked at my account, those number have been showing for a while.

On My screen, the rollover nights are under the category Bonus Nights.
They are definitely from last year and count in the total show at the top.

socrates May 4, 2010 5:03 am

Originally Posted by qazw1 (Post 13891429)
How do you go about getting the rebate of the hotel taxes? Do you pay first and then they pay you back? Also, how can you tell which cities have this policy?

It really varies by jurisdiction but the accounting department at each hotel should be able to tell you the rules for their jurisdiction (I know in the state of MI no one is allowed to refund paid taxes EXCEPT for the state)

DillMan May 4, 2010 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by socrates (Post 13895180)
It really varies by jurisdiction but the accounting department at each hotel should be able to tell you the rules for their jurisdiction (I know in the state of MI no one is allowed to refund paid taxes EXCEPT for the state)

Ugh. Really? I'm about to have 4 rooms for 3.5 months in metro DTW and didn't know that. The tax refunds are my little slush fund. :)

To answer the originally quoted question, I've only run in to a few municipalities that don't offer full refunds after 30, 60, or 90 consecutive nights. Most hotels, even extended stay places, will settle your folio to your credit card every 14 nights or so. When you hit the threshold for the tax abatement, they credit it back to your credit card, however, as socrates pointed out, there are certainly exceptions to this rule as my experience is limited to maybe 25 properties over the last 10 years and you are not only dealing with state taxes but also city/visitor's taxes as well. Phoning the sales department at the hotel is your best bet to get an exact answer. I'd also recommend having them send their answer as a fax so if someone misleads you, you have something to show the GM. In a case like mine (with 4 rooms for 3.5 months), it would be horrible to expect a $10,000 abatement only to find out I'm getting nil. :)