Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phantom Minibar Charges

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1K For Life; Marriot Gold (through United); Hilton Silver; misc. airlines
Refusing the MiniBar Key

Yes -- I too have noticed fraudulent minibar charges although I have had no issue when asking the front desk personnel simply to remove them when I check out. I always refuse the key. I know revenue is hard to come by, but falsifying the bill? That does not lead to loyalty.

For the past few visits, have even asked the front desk specifically to note that I do not want some boneheaded housekeeping person to come to my room at 11:30PM to check the minibar -- I have been awakened several times because of this!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 8:22 am

Was it possibly the bottle of water that was sitting on the counter and not behind lock and key?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by lucycan
I check out and get a copy of my bill. Today (3 days later) I go to do my expense report and see that they charged my AMEX $8 more.
If you get no satisfaction from the hotel, you can dispute the charge on your AMEX. That will cost the hotel a hefty fee in addition to the $8. That will get their attention.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:21 am

Every time you nick or shake the damn counter near the minibar a charge gets through. But the staff have been very good about rectifying the charges though it is a pain when it happens as I have to queue the check in counter to reprint the invoice.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dioxide45
Was it possibly the bottle of water that was sitting on the counter and not behind lock and key?
That is a possibility. I still didn't drink that one.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
I had this happen just last week at the Renaissance Hotel in Hollywood, CA, also with one of the bottles of water left out in the room. Fortunately I caught the charge before I checked out and they were fine about removing the charge on my bill. Something like this seems to happen relatively often, perhaps once out of every dozen stays at various hotels.

While I know one should always review every hotel bill for errors, it's unfortunate that things like this seem to be a regular cause of problems. Also, even if you can fix the problem before checking out, having to do so does take away the convenience of express checkout.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
The problem here is that it was a 1 night stay. NOT on the bill when I checked out with my copy. They never sent a "Thanks for staying" email copy of my bill (first Marriott not to do so) so I never realized it until I did my expense report. This is how it always seems to happen to me. AFTER check-out, which if I were a fraudulent person running a hotel, thats exactly how I would do it.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mshapiro99
For the past few visits, have even asked the front desk specifically to note that I do not want some boneheaded housekeeping person to come to my room at 11:30PM to check the minibar -- I have been awakened several times because of this!
I know what you mean. I can't count how many times I see and hear hotel staff knocking on doors and walk into rooms at 11:30 p.m. to check the mini-bar stash.

Some Marriott properties are slowly rolling out these new things called "door locks" and "do not disturb" signs.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mshapiro99
I know revenue is hard to come by, but falsifying the bill? That does not lead to loyalty.
C'mon now. While it is *possible* they are falsifying bills, it's highly unlikely that Marriott is willing to take the huge risks involved with such a scam (as well as the cost of losing customers) for such a small theoretical gain. It's much more likely that such charges are the result of poor accounting or technical glitches, such as the ones suggested in this thread. A problem that should be improved/fixed? Sure. A purposeful falsifying scam? I doubt it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.