Wiki Posts
Search

Why one chooses a Marriott..??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Why one chooses a Marriott..??

As a relative newbie to this sub forum & flyer talk in general, was wondering what actually makes a person zero in on a particular chain. Obvious indicators would be price, reward program etc…

Bulk of my travel is in the South East asian region for now, where in cities like SIN & KUL, you have a plethora of options to choose from that cover the whole gamut literally. Hilton, Acoor, Starwood, Shangri-la, Hyatt, Inter Continental & Marriott of course..

So, how come a Marriott then..??
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:45 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi quarryking,

Originally Posted by quarryking
As a relative newbie to this sub forum & flyer talk in general, was wondering what actually makes a person zero in on a particular chain. Obvious indicators would be price, reward program etc…

Bulk of my travel is in the South East asian region for now, where in cities like SIN & KUL, you have a plethora of options to choose from that cover the whole gamut literally. Hilton, Acoor, Starwood, Shangri-la, Hyatt, Inter Continental & Marriott of course..

So, how come a Marriott then..??
In general, there are many reasons why people choose a certain chain or not. Many on this board have employer policies that dictate hotel choices. In my case, it turned out early on that at 3 of the locations I mainly travel to, the hotel of choice is a Marriott-family hotel. Thus it was easy to start maximizing with them, as it provided such benefits as free breakfast, or the accumulation of points for personal use.

However, I also am a member at Hilton and SPG, as you don't always have the same choice. For example, try to stay at a Marriott in South Africa ... so I collect points in all programs.

Overall, I've found Marriott to be practical for many of my trips, and I've usually been treated well and consistently. As such, if the price is ok, I will also choose them for personal travel. However, if they are out of my league, so be it, I will go elsewhere.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
For my husband, who joined in 2008 and made platinum right away, it was a combination.

First of all, we bought a Marriott timeshare (which so far has been perfect for our family, only EOY at Ko Olina). Then, we got the Visa card to only use for his work travel. Finally, he travels frequently to a couple of cities where Marriott is the closest or most convenient hotel chain - one is a full service Marriott and one is a Fairfield Inn. We have seen his points rapidly accrue, and in only 18 months he has almost 500,000. We're saving them for a big family trip (we have two children) one year - don't know when. Maybe to tack on next year at Ko Olina for airline miles and 5 nights stay (timeshare owners can get vacation packages for 5 nights as well as 7).

Personally, I use the Starwood Amex card, and think they have the best credit card. I've stayed with my kids at the Swan and Dolphin at Disneyworld for free several times, plus we used our points to stay at the Moana Surfrider on Oahu (which we love) for free. Their redemption amount is very small, and you can transfer to lots of airlines. I don't use the Marriott card, to keep it separate for business.

The nice thing about the Marriott Visa is that my husband gets 10 points per dollar at Marriotts, plus his 50% platinum bonus, plus the 5 points per dollar on the Visa card, so he gets a lot when he travels.

I would look at your location to decide. I've never been to much into Hilton, so can't comment on them. We've been happy with Marriott so far.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:58 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Cost and benefits in that order, but usually a combination of both.

I like FS Marriotts and also Westin, St Regis, and Luxury Collection properties. I will occasionally book a Sheraton, but it depends on the property as their are crap Sheratons and good ones. Hiltons have disappointed me for the most part and Hyatts are too few to warrant loyalty. IC brand is a combination of many lackluster properties mixed with those that are nice but few and far between.

I like RZ and 4S, but no loyalty programs. We are on FT after all, so I have to feed my point addiction.

So with FS Marriotts and Westin, St Regis, and Luxury Collection properties being my choices I pick from those. Marriott FS properties usually come out ahead on price, but keep in mind that I am one to plan 50 weeks out. I also do not book non-refundable advance purchase rates. SPG has a lot of these and if they work for you then great, but not me.

I recently stayed in Singapore. I checked Marriott, Sheraton, and St. Regis prices for the months leading up to my stay and none of them could beat the price I had booked for the Marriott. I book Marriott first and then when I do find a competitive price I compare things like location, hotel rating and qualilty, lounge availability and quality, complimentary breakfast if no lounge (not at SPG props or MR resorts), and other amenities (spa, fitness center, restaurants, etc). I weigh that along with the price and make my choice. FWIW, most (95%) of my travel is for pleasure and self paid.

Same goes for Hong Kong, Seoul (although I am staying at the Hyatt in December - reason: airport location), Bangkok, Sydney, Dubai, London. LAX upcoming in June I got a better rate at Westin than Marriott or Renaissance. JFK for next December I got a better rate at Sheraton over Courtyard. I actually would like to find some more SPG properties because I have already attained MR Plat for this year and would like to do the same for SPG to retain my Plat status. So I guess seeking status qualifying stays/nights is a factor also in determining where I stay.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
I first started using Marriott because I travelled with my pet dog. There was a Towneplace Suites convenient to my work, so it was an easy choice.

I stick with Marriott because they usually have locations convenient to where I'm working and their rates are competitive. The website is pretty well designed and makes it easy to shop for different promotional rates. I have also found that they do a fair job honoring their look no further rate guarantee.

MR is also the only program that I'm aware of that offers Lifetime elite status. It is nice to know that I will still be able to enjoy the benefits of Plat when I stop travelling 100+ nights a year for busines.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
I enjoy consistency and abhor change. I know what to expect (within reason) at almost any Marriott property. Rarely am I disappointed in this regard.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
When I first started travelling, I bounced around between a few different hotel brands before settling with Marriott. I was travelling around North America.

I found that Marriott had the best mix of locations and cost. I would generally have a cap on the amount I could spend, and Marriott generally fit under the cap. I liked Westin, but Westin was generally more expensive, and I don't find Sheraton as nice. Hyatts weren't around enough. Hilton was decent, but I found the Marriott hotels tended to be more consistent in quality.

Now that I live in the UK, Marriott isn't as convenient due to lack of properties, but hopefully that will change Marriott increases their presence in Europe.

Greg
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Things important to me (that may be unimportant to others):

• Previous experience. I'm a former Courtyard GM from way back. I know the company.
  • Penetration. You can sneeze anywhere in any major city in the US and increasingly around the world and hit 3 or 4 Marriott branded properties.
  • Marriott Rewards. Related to the penetration angle - so many hotels means it's easier to accumulate and focus on this particular hotel elite program.
  • Consistency. Marriott has always been somewhat conservative in style; with conservatism comes a certain trust that you always know what you're walking into.
  • SpringHill Suites.What Courtyard probably should have been. Newer ones like Las Vegas are a bit trendy, but overall this is a great midpriced brand.

Things unimportant to me (that may be important to others):

• Trendiness. You just don't get the latest hip/cool designer looks at Marriott properties that you might get at a W. Marriott decided long ago that they build hotels, not this season's dress.
  • Breakfast. Not included in the rate at Courtyard, nor at full service properties unless you're a Plat. Meh. I'm not a breakfast eater much.
  • Concierge lounges. Meh. More opportunities to gorge on food that I don't care much about.
  • F&B in general. Let's face it, there hasn't be a successful F&B concept from Marriott since Hot Shoppes. Seriously.
  • Courtyard. My alma mater has stumbled badly since I was last involved. New concepts like the reworked lobby (ripoff of Hyatt Place, anyone?) and the LEED-in-a-box designs may help them recover.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
[*]F&B in general. Let's face it, there hasn't be a successful F&B concept from Marriott since Hot Shoppes. Seriously.
Lest we forget Roy Roger's?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lifetime Plat is a biggie for me.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
[*]F&B in general. Let's face it, there hasn't be a successful F&B concept from Marriott since Hot Shoppes. Seriously. [*]Courtyard. My alma mater has stumbled badly since I was last involved. New concepts like the reworked lobby (ripoff of Hyatt Place, anyone?) and the LEED-in-a-box designs may help them recover.[/LIST]
I don't hang out here enough. What is F&B? What is LEED-in-a-box?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:06 pm

F&B - Food and Beverage... and FWIW the origin of Marriott corporation.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
I stick with Marriott for a few reasons.

Yes, I used to be an associate, and still own stock...so that's how I got started.
(Currently I am lucky enough to be a friend and/or family member of an associate....^ but that has only been the case for a couple months...and whatever rate that happens to be is not always the best....all of that is in the interest of full disclosure...)

Mr. Marriott's name is still on the buildings, and while things may have changed, the basic standards haven't......(much)

Now, they tend to have the most properties in places I go, in price ranges that I can afford. You know what you'll get (although sometimes it can get boring....)

I tried other chains last year, but either there wasn't a property near where I wanted to go, or the rate was too high.

Since I've been a Plat or Plat Premier for many years, I can see no point in switching now as I am very close to Lifetime Plat status.....

Overall I am treated very well. Sometimes things don't go well and generally any issues are quickly resolved. On those rare occasions where problems are not addressed quickly they can be escalated and again, they get fixed.

The Marriott Rewards program is, IMO excellent and I have gotten great trips out of the points....p;us having the points has come in handy when I needed a room someplace but didn't want to fork out 300 bucks.

I love the Spring Hill Suites....CYs are getting to be a waste and I really hate the new lobby/dining concept....the new SHSs are cool.

Residence Inns are neat as well...
I have realized on this current trip to Chicago that the CL is really just fluff. I didn't really use it, the lounge attendant was often MIA and when one was there, she was really not interacting with guests. However, there are some lounges that I really like (Bridgewater, NJ, JW Miami).....but I prefer the days when the attendant was someone who could provide info instead of sitting on his/her rear end fooling around on a cell phone. (PHL Ren anyone???)

I did want to test out other chains last year after Marriott made some changes and started telling hotels to not "overachieve"...and yes, Hyatt's free internet and free breakfast (in hotels without a lounge) was nice, but their rates were too high....

aaupgrade: i started my Marriott career at Roy Rogers.....got a couple years worth of prior service for that!!

LEED is the 'green' building rating system....try this....
http://www.usgbc.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CategoryID=19
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
It's no problem finding a hotel chain that caters to whatever the traffic will bear, as long as they clear a tidy profit. (Case in point: study the Hilton children)

It is a totally different matter to find a business that operates and honors the values of its founder (e.g., Disney, Chick-fil-A, Whole Foods Market, and Marriott). Although you can find exceptions, most Marriotts reflect a basic moral code of decency and respect. What they might lack in flash and trendy appeal, they more than make up for in service and dependability. And, not my favorite distinction, the safest (slowest) elevators in the world. If you are interested in building a loyalty account, Marriott Rewards seems to avoid most complaints that other chains have recently earned in stinginess.

As you venture about, try a few alternatives to hone in on what best suits your need. My bet is that you'll find the Marriott brand to be pretty favorable.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My choice of a primary hotel chain is based on locations first, then price range, consistency, and redemption value for points.

Location is really important because the hotel needs to have properties in the places I need to visit for business as well as the places I'd like to visit for leisure. Marriott scores really well because they have properties all over the US as well as in major Asian cities. A few years ago I spent more nights at Hiltons, which also have great coverage in the US, but I shifted away from them because their numbers in Asia aren't so good.

Price range is self explanatory. The really high end chains are beyond my budget, either for business or leisure. Even Hyatt is priced out of my range much of the time, otherwise I might consider them more seriously. Marriott does well on this criterion because they offer several discount brands in addition to full service brands.

Consistency is important to me as a business traveler. I need to know that I can count on a certain level of features, comfort, and service at the hotels I visit. I tried SPG and Radisson for a while but moved away from them because while certain properties of theirs were really nice, overall they were hit-or-miss.

Redemption value is a bit of a trump card. If a brand offers a really strong loyalty program or a lucrative promotion, I'll switch to it at least temporarily to capture some of the value. For long term loyalty, a brand needs to offer a program that's at least competitive with what the others in its market offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.