Wiki Posts
Search

Megabonus...Downgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Megabonus...Downgrade?

I'm currently on the promotion for 15 days stayed = 25,000 points. I can see that due to my work schedule I'm going to come up short of hitting the target, any chance that I can downgrade into a lesser promotion and get 2,500 points per stay like the old promos used to be?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I have been successful in doing that before. Given that you are a Plat, you should be able to have them note your requested "version".
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I am in exactly the same position as you, I'm not going to get anywhere near my 20 nights in 3 months, so just called plat line a few mins ago and asked to be placed on something more acheivable and went down to the 2500 every stay. It was very easy and they're obviously used to doing this.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
I would certainly call I think. I tried to e-mail, explaining the same situation, which had been ssuccessful for me before. This time, I got a reply which said something to the effect...'we target specific promors, see you've changed before, not sure we can do again, call to discuss, etc....'

Well, all other times I had called/e-mailed to upgrade my promo, so this didn't make sense, but, it ticked me off knowing others do it all the time w/o issue. So, I decided to forget about the bonus and concentrate on Hyatt anyway, who's been really fantastic with service/benefits and promos.

Maybe I'll still call and bang out some stays before the end fo the promo, but I'm just not focused on Marriott right now.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Has any non plat been able to change their MegaBonus? I have 30 nights at a stretch coming up but am enrolled in the 2,500 points per stay promo. I currently have no status with Marriott.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by piyush
Has any non plat been able to change their MegaBonus? I have 30 nights at a stretch coming up but am enrolled in the 2,500 points per stay promo. I currently have no status with Marriott.
If your 30 night "stretch" is only one stay, it'll only bags 2500 extra points, and none at all unless it is your second stay.

I am sure I've read that Golds have been able to change their promos, sometimes, but not that simple, I dont think you have any chance without status, but that 30 day stay seems to me to be your best bargaining chip.

I'd call MR and ask for a taste of Plat challenge, that'll give you Plat membership immediately on condition you stay 16 nights in the following 3 months, which will be a synch with what you've got planned. Then, a few days before checkin call up and explain your position, you should be able to upgrade your megabonus to a nights based one, 15 nights for 20k, 20 for 25k... After all, you're a plat!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
If your 30 night "stretch" is only one stay, it'll only bags 2500 extra points, and none at all unless it is your second stay.

I am sure I've read that Golds have been able to change their promos, sometimes, but not that simple, I dont think you have any chance without status, but that 30 day stay seems to me to be your best bargaining chip.

I'd call MR and ask for a taste of Plat challenge, that'll give you Plat membership immediately on condition you stay 16 nights in the following 3 months, which will be a synch with what you've got planned. Then, a few days before checkin call up and explain your position, you should be able to upgrade your megabonus to a nights based one, 15 nights for 20k, 20 for 25k... After all, you're a plat!
I was Silver, I got a Gold Challenge on condition I stay 12 nights in the following 3 months, is it really true a non-status could get a Platinum Challenge with 16 nights in 3 months ?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:02 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will call them and let you know what I find out!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:15 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will call them and let you know what I find out!
Unfortunately they were not willing to give me the platinum challenge. They did give me the gold challenge and my status has been updated already!! I will call them tomorrow and see if they will change my Megabonus promo.

Will post an update tomorrow.

Thanks again!

My stay starts in early April and goes through early May. That means I will credit for all the nights I stay in April, correct?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How often do the Megabonus points post? Weekly? or immediately after each stay? I had one, one-night stay and it posted with 5,000 Megabonus points!
Old Apr 2, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Dumb question, but how do you know that the 5,000 points were Megabonus points? The reason that I am asking is that usually Megabonus points only post AFTER the end of the Megabonus period. However, I must admit that I have never had the version of Megabonus that pays 2,500 or 5,000 points per stay, so maybe those acrue differently.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:06 pm

Unfortunately they were not willing to give me the platinum challenge. They did give me the gold challenge and my status has been updated already!! I will call them tomorrow and see if they will change my Megabonus promo.

Will post an update tomorrow.

Thanks again!

My stay starts in early April and goes through early May. That means I will credit for all the nights I stay in April, correct?

Thank you so much for the suggestion . Worked perfectly ^^^. I am enrolled in the 25night/50 k promotion!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by USirritated
Dumb question, but how do you know that the 5,000 points were Megabonus points? The reason that I am asking is that usually Megabonus points only post AFTER the end of the Megabonus period. However, I must admit that I have never had the version of Megabonus that pays 2,500 or 5,000 points per stay, so maybe those acrue differently.
If you have the promo that involves bonus points per stay or per second stay, the megabonus points often post within a day or so of the stay and are labelled "Megabonus".
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any idea why I got 5,000 for one night rather than 2,500? Is it a specific promo?

Do you also get the Megabonus points for award stays?

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Apr 5, 2010 at 7:53 am
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:57 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Any idea why I got 5,000 for one night rather than 2,500? Is it a specific promo?

Do you also get the Megabonus points for award stays?
I can't address your first question, because I do not have knowledge in that area, but I can certainly address your second question, you DO NOT get Megabonus points for awards stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.