Wiki Posts
Search

Can someone else check-in for me?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Can someone else check-in for me?

My girlfriend and I are planning a vacation sometime in May and I might not be able to arrive to the hotel until a couple days after her. Can the reservation still be under my name and rewards account? Can she check-in for me?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Add her as a second person on the reservation.

Even though I am married I did not take my husbands last name and often have issues if I am not on the reservation.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jan_az
Add her as a second person on the reservation.

Even though I am married I did not take my husbands last name and often have issues if I am not on the reservation.
I'll make sure to do that. Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Just to be on the safe side, you can also fax something to the hotel letting them know that you will be arriving after the other person and that it is okay for that person to check into the room. I've done this when traveling with a contractor or coworker who may be arriving to the hotel before me when I've made the reservations and intend to pay for both rooms.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Just to be on the safe side, you can also fax something to the hotel letting them know that you will be arriving after the other person and that it is okay for that person to check into the room. I've done this when traveling with a contractor or coworker who may be arriving to the hotel before me when I've made the reservations and intend to pay for both rooms.
Good call as well. Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
I would make sure to call the hotel itself, not the 800 number. Speak to someone at the hotel and have them add the second person to the reservation.

For some reason, when you call the 800 number in make notes on the reservation, it does not get forwarded to the hotel.

Last edited by jbdk; Mar 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
You can also ask the hotel for a credit card authorization form so they can put all charges under your charge card. Often the reservation is in my name and my wife checks in without me- I have had no problems with her getting into the room and Marriott points to my account as long as I call the hotel in advance.

Some hotels will automatically bill to my credit card on file. Other hotels need to see an actual credit card and will only bill to the card they run through at check in. Just had this happen 2 weeks ago- my wife didn't have her Marriott Card and they wouldn't let her charge the room to my card on file.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have had my wife (different name) check in for me. I always call ahead and let them know. Never had a problem
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Call MR on the 800 # and tell them who will be checking in for you. I do it all the time, never a problem.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold, CO Plat, United Premier, US Airways Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Call the FD and ask them for the MOD tell him the circumstances and they should take care of you!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Would it make any difference in Asia and in US? I have done this many times in here but I am hesitant to try that in overseas.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:41 am

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by uclasfo
Would it make any difference in Asia and in US? I have done this many times in here but I am hesitant to try that in overseas.
No problems for me at the JW and Marriott in Bangkok. I used email to confirm that my GF would be checking in ahead of my arrival. I called US reservations to get the property's email address.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holocker
You can also ask the hotel for a credit card authorization form so they can put all charges under your charge card. Often the reservation is in my name and my wife checks in without me- I have had no problems with her getting into the room and Marriott points to my account as long as I call the hotel in advance.

Some hotels will automatically bill to my credit card on file. Other hotels need to see an actual credit card and will only bill to the card they run through at check in. Just had this happen 2 weeks ago- my wife didn't have her Marriott Card and they wouldn't let her charge the room to my card on file.
These are all great suggestions. My GF has my Marriott Credit Card, same exact CC number and it has my rewards number on it. I'll make sure she brings that along.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by dw8146
No problems for me at the JW and Marriott in Bangkok. I used email to confirm that my GF would be checking in ahead of my arrival. I called US reservations to get the property's email address.
Actually, I saw this issue in reverse be a problem at the JW BKK. The wife had checked in first. The husband and I got to the hotel at the same time, but they would not give him the key because his name was not put on the room when she checked in. He was pleading with them not to call her because she was already asleep and he didn't want her to be woken up. Ultimately, though, the hotel did call her and he got the key to the room.

I'm not faulting the hotel, which does need to consider the safety of the guest, but I'm just relaying this as a warning that if there is another person checking in later, make sure the front desk puts that in your record, too.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We do this a few times/year when I fly in after my wife and we've never had an issue.

Same last name, same credit card, etc. In all honesty I haven't even called the hotel to let them know beforehand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.