Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Marriotts Do You Like/Hate?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Unless someone says why one is a go/avoid/ok/maybe, the list is somewhat useless IMO. As sophiegirl said in a dif thread, you have to know why a recommendation is being made in order to find out if what's good/bad/ok about it will matter to you or not matter.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
EXCELLENT:
Sonesta Gwinnett Place Atlanta -- large rooms, inviting lobby, fun bar, good workout room, plenty of parking
Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter -- perfect location for French Quarter access, and an excellent value
San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina -- Prompt, courtesy front desk staff. Great selection of food & beverage in lounge. Wonderful views of the bay. Great workout facility. Fun & relaxing pool & bar scene.
The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas -- excellent vibe and in the middle of all the action on the Vegas strip. Upscale and hip rooms. Excellent views.
Montreal Airport Marriott Hotel -- probably the best overall service of any Marriott I stayed in. Large rooms, caring staff.
Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel and Convention Center -- Grand appearance to it. Upgraded to"Gold Plume Suite", and the room is enormous.
Scottsdale Marriott at McDowell Mountains -- Ample free parking. Large and open eating and bar area. Great for big groups. Felt very open and relaxing.
Renaissance Atlanta Midtown Hotel -- very courteous staff, great location, great views of the city

TERRIBLE
SpringHill Suites Detroit Metro Airport Romulus -- Rude check in staff, slow shuttle service from airport, unclean and unsanitary bathroom
Old Jul 12, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
valor155, that's the type of info that makes the thread more valuable. Thx!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: US lowlife
Hate: Marriott Suites on Sand Key

The rooms are as bad as the reviews on the forum lead on. Perpetual damp carpets and musty sheets in outdated rooms were a real bummer on a points stay.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, WN A List, Marriott Plat
Go
Renaissance Club Sport, Aliso Viejo, CA – nice rooms, solid, consistent service, decent restaurant, great gym
Courtyard, Troy, MI – nice reno, super-friendly & helpful staff, large rooms
The Dearborn Inn, Dearborn, MI – classy, historic location, gorgeous lobby, good restaurant, front desk staff are meh
The Henry/Autograph, Dearborn, MI – nice, large rooms, lots of artwork, great on site restaurant, shockingly no-cost wifi, accommodating staff. Slow to post points - 8 days post stay and counting. I've read elsewhere that you actually have to request points to be posted; may have to fill out a "missing stay" entry.
Laguna Cliffs Resort, Dana Point, CA – great location & views, solid staff. On site restaurants overpriced.
Marriott Grande Vista, Orlando, FL – great large rooms, lovely property, confusing layout
Marriott Riverside at Convention Center, Riverside, CA - Friendly staff, largish rooms, nice location in old town Riverside, beautiful lobby, nice concierge lounge with a small outdoor patio with nice view. Might be on my short list of favorite Marriott properties in a pretty unexpected place.

Meh
Worthington Renaissance, Fort Worth, TX – staff sub-par (bellman rammed me with luggage cart in over-crowded elevator with no apology & made me climb out from behind cart to exit before him despite my protests, cleaning sub-par (toilet brush left on bathroom counter next to my toothbrush, failed to replace some towels). Nice rooms, great location, beautiful property, Vidalia’s restaurant is very very good with great service. But experience with staff issues above negated the good for me.

No Go
Courtyard, Longmont, CO – tired, tiny rooms, drinkers hanging out by front door
Fairfield Inn, Port Huron, MI – others have had good experiences, but for me, despite nearly empty hotel placed across from elevator in handicapped accessible room that included a sink with no countertop to place toiletries.
Renaissance LAX - Lethargic greeting and treatment, very sketchy neighborhood (true of most LAX airport properties, particularly to the north of the airport), obscenely expensive parking even by Marriott standards, no newspaper, no bill under door. Nice & large room, but nothing else to recommend this property over others nearby.

Last edited by garytx; Oct 9, 2014 at 10:10 am
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Just off the top of my head...stays in the past year or so...

GREAT:
- Residence Inn Denver City Center. Good beer on tap for the evening reception. Rotating taps...sometimes a local micro, sometimes a Sam Adams seasonal. Great staff...I've stayed there just a few times and they either remember me or do a very good job of faking it.
- Courtyard Denver Downtown. Very clean, updated property. More upscale feel than a typical CY. On 16th St. Mall: lots of good places nearby to get breakfast, always a consideration when staying at CY. (Note that two other Denver Marriotts - an SHS and a TPS - use the term "downtown" in their name but are actually a bit outside what you'd think of as downtown. This CY is directly downtown, near the RI City Center and a couple of full-service Marriotts.)
- Residence Inn Sioux Falls. Stayed during a roadtrip: nice, clean RI along I-29. Walking distance to a few restaurants and an 80's-style mall of some sorts. Upgraded us to a 2-bedroom suite on a regular Cat 4 award certificate. Pleasant surprise all around.
- Marriott Gaylord Palms Orlando. Fantastic facility, generally excellent staff, and nice rooms. My *only* hesitancy might be on a leisure stay. I was there as part of a large conference, where we were charged no hidden fees and had several restaurants closed just for our use. I noticed some outdoor pools and bars were closed early, perhaps because we made up most of the guests there and the hotel knew we were all in other private events. It *might* have been odd to be a lone leisure guest there, paying a resort fee and not having as much access to facilities as you'd get somewhere else. But for us, it was great. On a business trip, I'd book it again.
- Marriott MCI Airport. I'm there once a year or so to finish off a Megabonus, and as generic airport hotels go this continues to be a good one. I've always liked this hotel. Friendly staff and reasonable rates, mainly. As a Gold or Plat, I've always been assigned an end room or been able to request one. Bit larger layout and sometimes a view of some flight ops, which the kids like.

ADEQUATE:
- Courtyard Covington (Cincinnati). Due for a renovation, but if you need a Cat 4 where you can walk to downtown Cincinnati, this will suffice. No extra charges for parking. Was able to use award certs on Kentucky Derby / Flying Pig / Reds home weekend, which is more than I can say for many other nearby properties. Credit to this hotel for not gaming the system to prevent the use of awards. ^
- PHL Airport Marriott. Only note here is that e-checkin saved my bacon at 11PM one night. I don't usually think of e-checking as having much effect, but here there was a 30-45 minute queue for a room (regardless of elite status, as most people were Gold/Plat I'm sure), unless you had e-checked-in earlier. Then they just handed you your room key with no wait. Hotel itself was pretty Marriott-standard. It's loosely attached to the airport: it's a long walk, but it can be done entirely indoors. I believe they also have a courtesy shuttle for those who don't want to hoof it.
- Residence Inn Davenport. Roadtripping hotel...nothing distinct about it.
- Fairfield Inn Quincy. Same roadtrip, other direction...standard FI.
- Washington Marriott Metro Center. Adequate hotel, but probably 6th or 7th on my list of favorite DC Marriotts.

NO, NEVER, AWFUL, SHOULD BE BANISHED TO ACCOR HELL.
- Courtyard Toronto. Feels more like a Howard Johnson's than a Marriott. Multiple issues with the stay and could hardly get a response from anyone on-property or via email afterwards. Small rooms, malfunctioning A/C, and we actually had one overnight with no running water. Booked a breakfast-included rate and had one day where the buffet was closed and they sent everyone to the Bistro, where they attempted to charge us for coffee. (After arguing with a manager, I got that taken off the bill.) One of my worst Marriott stays of all time. I'll never stay there again, regardless of how enticing the rate is. It simply is not worth it.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
I've been away for a while, so I'll post a few from the last 2-3 years or so....
(in no particular order)
Go

Fairfield Inn Winnipeg - so-so area but nice little indoor water park
Marriott Niagra Falls Fallsview - 3 junior suite upgrades. Fireplace & great view
Indianapolis Marriott North - everything a good business hotel should be
Denver Downtown Marriott - good hotel, good location
Portland Marriott Waterfront - ditto what I said about Denver
Santa Rosa, CA Courtyard - Average CY (which is good), good location
Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort - Very Nice Hotel, but pricey restaurant & parking
Tampa Ren Internatl. Plaza - Lovely hotel adjacent to shopping & dining plaza
Atlanta Ren Waverly Hotel - Another nice hotel adjoining a little mall
Vail Marriott Mountain Hotel - Excellent hotel in a gorgeous setting.

Meh

Marina Del Rey Marriott - A lot of people like it. I thought it was "so-so"
Cleveland Marriott East - Standard suburban FS Marriott. Nice enough
Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk - Okay hotel in a reasonably good location
SHS Pensacola Beach - Needs a refurb...which I believe is coming this fall
New Orleans Marriott - Shows its age here and there, but still pretty good
Kansas City Downtown Marriott - Not bad by any means, but rather "plain"

Probably won't return

Key West Fairfield Inn - Nice pool area but some really small rooms
Fort Lauderdale Vacation Club - Too many issues to mention here. Disaster
Marriott World Center Marriott - Overrated and not particularly welcoming
Seattle Airport Fairfield Inn - Struck me as slightly worn and a little dirty
Atlanta Marriott Perimeter - Small Room, Noise from live music (DJ) in bar.
Marina Del Rey Courtyard - Dated hotel in a rather unpleasant area (actually slightly removed from Marina Del Rey). They DO have a nice pool, however.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: I've lost count
Solid
MOXY Milan Malpensa Airport - modern; surprisingly inexpensive; convenient to MXP
Anchorage Marriott Downtown - decent walkability; convenient for events
SpringHill Suites Fairbanks - reliable Marriott property

Acceptable
Fairfield Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport/Millbrae - adequate accommodations; basic hot breakfast buffet; thin walls/floors don't muffle weighted doors; walkable

Will look elsewhere
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving - run down; pool smell permeated the room; cholesterol-rich breakfast spread; poor walkability
Old Nov 21, 2015, 8:37 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cyberdad
I've been away for a while, so I'll post a few from the last 2-3 years or so....
(in no particular order)
Go

Vail Marriott Mountain Hotel - Excellent hotel in a gorgeous setting.

Meh

SHS Pensacola Beach - Needs a refurb...which I believe is coming this fall

Probably won't return
Fort Lauderdale Vacation Club - Too many issues to mention here. Disaster
Marriott World Center Marriott - Overrated and not particularly welcoming
+1 for the Vail Marriott. Loved the hotel and the location.

While I can't disagree with you on needing a refurb for the Pensacola Beach SHS, it's location and that beach are second to none. I don't stay there for the hotel but for that location and beach. ^

+1 on the FLL Vacation club (assuming you are referring to the BeachPlace Towers.) Stayed there once and between that pitiful pool, the green tinged bath water, and stuff generally not working, I will never stay there again. Though the amount of room in a 1-bedroom suite is great, everything else though brings it way, way down.

The Orlando World Center Marriott is definitely a big place. And I can see their "service" level not always being top notch for a resort property. But their facilities there are very nice (my kids loved the main pool) and if you are going to Disney, short of staying on-site there isn't a better located hotel to stay at.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Like:
- CY RDU Airport
- RI Montreal Downtown

Decent:
- SHS LGA
- FI Raleigh Brier Creek
- SHS Seattle/Renton
- Marriott Houston North

Last edited by CMK10; Jul 30, 2016 at 10:33 pm Reason: Wrong Hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.