"Elite Member" Key Cards

Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
"Elite Member" Key Cards

So, this may be an OCD observation but thanks to MegaBonusSM I've been staying in Marriott Properties of all shapes and sizes lately.

Has anybody else noticed the slight nuances of color variation in the "Elite Member" keys issued? The words Elite Member, the script "E" and the rectangular border along the perimeter of the card are always printed in the same color set on to the white background. Problem is, there are several different color schemes floating around out there that the various properties issue. I can't for the life of me assemble a pattern of what type or brand of property vs. what color the key will be.

Field Observations:

Light gray/silver type and border: this is the most common for all MR brands. I have received the silver at FI, CY, FS, TPS and REN properties.

Medium blue type and border: seems to only happen at RI and TPS properties.

Light Green: mostly at FS and Ren properties. Perhaps the green indicates an upgrade and/or lounge access?

No data from JWs or Ritz properties... it's a down economy :P

Also, it's 50/50 at CYs whether you'll receive an "Elite Member" keycard or one of the standard Courtyard keys.

Has anybody else noticed this? What could it all mean?

Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I think you are reading too much into it. I am at the Fullerton Marriott at California State University right now. They have no elite room cards, but they do have a pretty good lounge, free internet for platinum members, and free breakfast on the weekends with a closed lounge. I found out tonight from the evening concierge that I can go down Monday morning when the lounge is open and get a free omelette made in the restaurant.

I'll take all of that over a different room key any day.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:12 am
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
Does anyone else feel like the Elite Member room keycards are a little tacky? A small "we appreciate your business" comment from the agent at the check-in desk is worth far, far more to me than a special room key.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by FOH
Does anyone else feel like the Elite Member room keycards are a little tacky? A small "we appreciate your business" comment from the agent at the check-in desk is worth far, far more to me than a special room key.
Yes, but how would you flaunt your status in front of other guests during your stay without this shiny piece of plastic?

Besides, why does a silver member get the same key as a gold or a plat? DYKWIA?

To me, it indeed means very little ... but hey, you can always start a collection of room keys to see how consistent they are or not.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
somebody was bored
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Minneapolis
Has anybody else noticed this? What could it all mean?
I think it means that different properties got their cards from different suppliers at different times and the design, price, ink prices, etc. vary over time.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I actually think the Marriott elite keys don't elite at all. Before I was "elite" and staying at a Renaissance, they had very nice black and gold keys. ~Those~ looked nice.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just some data on the different Marriott cards... This link is for the company that makes the cards.

http://www.plicards.com/section1/lev...Id=9&brandId=5
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Marriot Plt, Avis 1st
I see a contest coming!!!

Who can be the first to get one of each of the 35 different keys from all the Marriott brand properties?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by radioinstl
Who can be the first to get one of each of the 35 different keys from all the Marriott brand properties?
Even that's not complete. The Flora in Rome, for instance, has a picture of the hotel on its keys, and I don't see that one among those shown.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tvetter01
Even that's not complete. The Flora in Rome, for instance, has a picture of the hotel on its keys, and I don't see that one among those shown.
so does numerous other FS Hotels,3 off hand are JWMarriott Quito, Marriott West Beijing, Mar Santiago,Chile I have a few others just dont remember offhand which they are
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by craz
so does numerous other FS Hotels,3 off hand are JWMarriott Quito, Marriott West Beijing, Mar Santiago,Chile I have a few others just dont remember offhand which they are
I would have assumed that to be the case, but the Flora was the first one that came to mind.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just some data on the different Marriott cards... This link is for the company that makes the cards.

http://www.plicards.com/section1/lev...Id=9&brandId=5
That is a really cool link, great find!

The "Elite Status" cards take some of the fun out of keeping the keys... they're all the same. Well, the same with minor differences.

The strangest keycard I've ever received was from a the Marriott Courtyard in Clive, IA. It was an ad for some weird pig vaccine, Enterisol Ileitis. Oh, Iowa.

Keycards are fascinating.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Minneapolis
That is a really cool link, great find!

The "Elite Status" cards take some of the fun out of keeping the keys... they're all the same. Well, the same with minor differences.

The strangest keycard I've ever received was from a the Marriott Courtyard in Clive, IA. It was an ad for some weird pig vaccine, Enterisol Ileitis. Oh, Iowa.

Keycards are fascinating.
Sounds like a strange place for a Marriott....

Interesting key card! The only time I have had a different card was at a Marriott in Toronto. They had advertising for a local pizza pizza..
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:34 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Such banality!

But just to think, in 50 or 75 years, these key cards might be worth money on some collectors market.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.