Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott offering points to decline maid service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn-marriott-rewards-points.mi

We’ll credit your account with 500 bonus points per day at participating Renaissance® and Marriott® hotels or 250 bonus points per day at participating Courtyard®, Fairfield Inn®, and SpringHill Suites® hotels in the U.S. and Canada.

You can pass on housekeeping any day, for up to 3 consecutive days at a time for up to 5,000 bonus points per continuous stay.

Available when you stay 2 or more nights at participating Renaissance, Marriott, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, and SpringHill Suites hotels in the U.S. and Canada. Generally the hotel will not access the room on opted out days, but reserves the right to do so. Please note that hotels will be implementing this new benefit throughout 2016.

Here's a list of properties from the Marriott website:

https://www.marriott.com/Multimedia/PDF/Rewards/MRW/Your_Choice_Participating_Properties_11-20-15.pdf

If you were able to opt-in via the mobile app, please feel free to indicate that as well. There appears to have been a recent update ~6/1/16.

USA

Alabama
Birmingham Marriott Grandview

Arizona
Courtyard Phoenix North

California
Courtyard Century City/Beverly Hills
Courtyard San Diego Downtown
Courtyard San Jose South/Morgan Hill
Fremont Marriott Silicon Valley
Fullerton Marriott at California State University
Marina del Rey Marriott
Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Marriott Marquis San Francisco
Marriott Sacramento Rancho Cordova
Monterey Marriott
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Santa Clara Marriott
SpringHill Suites San Jose Airport

Colorado
Courtyard Denver
Denver Airport Marriott
Denver Marriott City Center - 500 pts per night

Connecticut
Hartford Marriott Farmington
SpringHill Suites Danbury - 250 pts per night

Delaware
Courtyard Newark - University of Delaware

Florida
Marriott Stanton in Miami
Tampa Airport Marriott
Tampa Marriott Westshore
Miami Airport Marriott
Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel, Golf Club & Convention Center
Orlando Airport Marriott
Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista in the Marriott Village

Georgia
Atlanta Marriott Norcross
Renaissance Midtown Atlanta

Illinois
Chicago Marriott Schaumburg
Renaissance Chicage O'Hare Suites

Indiana
Courtyard Indianapolis/Carmel
Indianapolis Marriott East

Iowa
Cedar Rapids Marriott

Kansas
Overland Park (Kansas City) Marriott

Maryland
BWI Airport Marriott

Michigan
Detroit Marriott (Southfield, MI)
Courtyard Detroit (Warren, MI)

Minnesota
Minneapolis Marriott City Center

New Jersey:
Hanover Marriott

New Mexico:
Albuquerque Marriott

New York:
Fairfield Inn Saratoga Springs - 250 pts/day

North Carolina
Greensboro Downtown Marriott
Charlotte Renaissance South Park
Raleigh Marriott Crabtree Valley

Ohio
Dayton Courtyard North
Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
Cleveland Airport Marriott

Oregon
Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland South/Lake Oswego

Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh Airport Marriott
Courtyard Lansdale - 250pt per night, 3 night limit

South Carolina
Renaissance, Charleston
Marriott, Columbia

Tennessee
Renaissance Downtown Nashville - 500 per stay, for stays of 2+ nights

Texas
Austin Marriott South
Dallas, Marriott City Center
Dallas, Renaissance Market Center
Courtyard Dallas - Richardson (TX)
DFW Marriott Solana - Westlake TX
Austin University area Courtyard 250 points
Renaissance Austin

Utah
Springhill Suites Downtown, Salt Lake City, 250 points

Virginia
Crystal City Marriott

Wisconsin
Fairfield Inn Appleton

Brussels
Brussels Marriott -- €5 bar credit

Germany
Hanover Marriott

China
Courtyard Sha Tin

Canada
Toronto Bloor Marriott
Renaissance Downtown Toronto (at the Skydome)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, *wood Plat, SWA A and CP

I came across this thread for SPG...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-go-green.html

It's basically if you decline housekeeping, you can either received a $5 gift card or 500 Starwood Points. This is a spectacular idea! I always place Do Not Disturb on my door as I don't need new towels or my bed made everday (I barely make it at home ). I would definitely take advantage of this if Marriott were to start to offer this.

It decreases the housekeeping workload, better for the environment, and better for the point hounds (like myself).

Would anyone else be interested? What would be an appropriate point scale?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
Hilton offers a similar program at select properties, too.

I think 750 MR points would be fair. 500 SPG points are very valuable.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Marriott has followed SPG and Hilton

I just checked into the Detroit Marriott (Southfield, MI). On the bed was a door card offering either a $5 restaurant gift card or 1,000 Marriott reward points for each night you decline housekeeping.

Relevant Full text of door card:

"Green Choices, Green Rewards"

"Your choice - help us conserve.

Before 2am you may choose to decline housekeeping service for your next day by handing this car on your door.

In return for going Green, we willd eliver a $5 restauran gift card that may be used in our restaurant or lobby lounge. OR if you prefer, you may also redeem the card at our Front Desk for 1,000 Marriott rewards points.

Sorry, you may not decline housekeeping service on your day of departure from the hotel. Terms and conditions apply"
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
So the more people who decline housekeeping the less housekeepers are needed. This is just me, but I don't want to add to the unemployment rate. I would hate to see housekeepers fired because I decline service.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:34 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I would certainly decline housekeeping for 1000 MR points, I dont generally bother with it anyway, other than on longer stays.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

The 500 SPG points seem on the face of it insanely valuable bearing in mind SPG awards 2/3 points per $, as opposed to 10/15 at Marriott. That might suggest Marriott would need to offer about 2500 points each time but SPG redemption rates are not that much less than Marriott. The SPG top redemption rate is 30,000 per night as opposed to Marriotts 40,000, despite the fact that SPG's earn rate is 1/5. I must admit on an earn/burn ratio I've never seen that much point to SPG, although I admit the scheme is very highly rated in these parts.

Overall I think the 1000 MR points is very fair...
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
1,000 points sounds great to me. I hope this is a trial that they will roll out to the rest of the hotels.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Absolutely....

Originally Posted by TurdFergy
I came across this thread for SPG...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-go-green.html

It's basically if you decline housekeeping, you can either received a $5 gift card or 500 Starwood Points. This is a spectacular idea! I always place Do Not Disturb on my door as I don't need new towels or my bed made everday (I barely make it at home ). I would definitely take advantage of this if Marriott were to start to offer this.

It decreases the housekeeping workload, better for the environment, and better for the point hounds (like myself).

Would anyone else be interested? What would be an appropriate point scale?

Given that we ALWAYS put the do not disturb on our door (we always give 'em a break), this would be fine for me. I am not the least bit concerned about the job aspect simply because this is my current practice and has been for YEARS (business and professional travel)...so I wouldn't be doing anything differently.

Who changes the sheets on their bed at home more than once a week? I never understand why anyone would want or require that...unless, of course, they get dirty--but that is different.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I use my towels at home for well over a week!

Also, I bring my own coffee so I don't need that either.

Dawn
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At home I have plenty of room to hang up all my towels so they can dry between showers. I've yet to see a Marriott bathroom with room to hang up 5 towels. (one for each person in our family, one for my hair) Sometimes they don't even have room to adequately hang up two towels. What would it cost to out up a couple of towel bars?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
At home I have plenty of room to hang up all my towels so they can dry between showers. I've yet to see a Marriott bathroom with room to hang up 5 towels. (one for each person in our family, one for my hair) Sometimes they don't even have room to adequately hang up two towels. What would it cost to out up a couple of towel bars?
You're cramming an entire family of four into a single guest room and bathroom and then complaining about lack of towel bars?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
You're cramming an entire family of four into a single guest room and bathroom and then complaining about lack of towel bars?
Don't most people have their young children in the same hotel room as them when travelling as a family?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use the doors?

Anyways I'd love to see this go company wide. I've said before (most recently on the thread where someone didn't get service) but I don't see the need for cleaning every day.

^^^
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Having taken advantage of the 1,000 points on my current stay, I am checking out today. I will tell you that I miss coming back to clean towels in the bathroom.

This is one of the many marriotts that lacks a real towel bar in the bathroom. The pile of towels on the floor made me feel like I was living like a slob.

Oh well...the things you do for points...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neewbs
This is one of the many marriotts that lacks a real towel bar in the bathroom. The pile of towels on the floor made me feel like I was living like a slob.
Yes! I am not the only one who misses towel bar(s). I hate coming back to a pile of towels on the floor if we haven't had maid service.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Don't most people have their young children in the same hotel room as them when travelling as a family?
Maybe in the same Super 8 room.

How about hanging towels on the curved shower rod?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Neewbs
Having taken advantage of the 1,000 points on my current stay, I am checking out today. I will tell you that I miss coming back to clean towels in the bathroom.

Oh well...the things you do for points...

Can't help but feel vindicated reading this post Pointaholics anonymous is in session...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.