Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by noname2012
Thanks guys.

It's quite disappointed to know that Marriott doesn't offer breakfast for Gold.

I'm debating between Marriott Waikiki Beach and Hyatt Waikiki. Marriott is much cheaper, but I only have Gold status (compared to Diamond status at Hyatt).
I've stayed at the Waikiki Marriott as Platinum and the Hyatt Waikiki as Diamond. There's no comparison. The Hyatt is miles better. Every time I've been to the Waikiki Marriott they've stuck me in that back tower and when I ask about te front one I'm told that the view will be better from that room. Well the Diamond Head view has been beautiful every time but the room itself is just dreadful. At Hyatt all but one time I've been assigned an ocean view room on a high floor. The one time I wasn't it was sold out and I paid for a Waikiki View and a Waikiki View is what I received. It was however very high up so much more quiet than you'd think. And honestly facing back toward UH the mountain view has its own beauty.

I also wouldn't assume automatically that the Hyatt is more expensive. Remember that they waive resort fee for Diamonds so that knocks $25 off the rate righht there. With te Marriott resort fee of $30, the Hyatt would need to be $30 more than the Marriott from the go to even actually be more expensive. If you really want to nitpick the Hyatt also charges $2 less for parking so it would need to be $32 less if you're parking a car.

When you factor in the lounge and free drinks for Diamonds, that amount can grow more. Even if you don't factor in free drinks for Diamonds, you still get all day non-alcoolic beverages which can easily save you $10 per day and fruit and cookies all day long and the evening food which may cut down on your restaurant spending. So just because the Hyatt is $230 and the Marriott $175, there's more to those numbers to consider if you take full advantage of your elite benefits.

Personally the Waikiki Marriott is a necessary evil for me. It tends to be reasonably priced even when the rest of Waikiki is through the roof. It's kind of like the safety school concept. When all else fails, use the Waikiki Marriott. But I first check Hyatt and then Starwood before doing that.

Side note: I'd take the Hyatt Place over either the Marriott or the Courtyard. Don't blast me about brand loyalty. I'm just talking about quality. I spent 2 nights at the Hyatt Place which is right next door to that retched back tower after 5 nights in the Marriott. I preferred the HP despite it being a limited service property. Plus no resort fee and only $18 parking!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I've stayed at the Waikiki Marriott as Platinum and the Hyatt Waikiki as Diamond. There's no comparison. The Hyatt is miles better. Every time I've been to the Waikiki Marriott they've stuck me in that back tower and when I ask about te front one I'm told that the view will be better from that room. Well the Diamond Head view has been beautiful every time but the room itself is just dreadful. At Hyatt all but one time I've been assigned an ocean view room on a high floor. The one time I wasn't it was sold out and I paid for a Waikiki View and a Waikiki View is what I received. It was however very high up so much more quiet than you'd think. And honestly facing back toward UH the mountain view has its own beauty.

I also wouldn't assume automatically that the Hyatt is more expensive. Remember that they waive resort fee for Diamonds so that knocks $25 off the rate righht there. With te Marriott resort fee of $30, the Hyatt would need to be $30 more than the Marriott from the go to even actually be more expensive. If you really want to nitpick the Hyatt also charges $2 less for parking so it would need to be $32 less if you're parking a car.

When you factor in the lounge and free drinks for Diamonds, that amount can grow more. Even if you don't factor in free drinks for Diamonds, you still get all day non-alcoolic beverages which can easily save you $10 per day and fruit and cookies all day long and the evening food which may cut down on your restaurant spending. So just because the Hyatt is $230 and the Marriott $175, there's more to those numbers to consider if you take full advantage of your elite benefits.

Personally the Waikiki Marriott is a necessary evil for me. It tends to be reasonably priced even when the rest of Waikiki is through the roof. It's kind of like the safety school concept. When all else fails, use the Waikiki Marriott. But I first check Hyatt and then Starwood before doing that.

Side note: I'd take the Hyatt Place over either the Marriott or the Courtyard. Don't blast me about brand loyalty. I'm just talking about quality. I spent 2 nights at the Hyatt Place which is right next door to that retched back tower after 5 nights in the Marriott. I preferred the HP despite it being a limited service property. Plus no resort fee and only $18 parking!
All very true I also forgot about the HP as a great alternative to either one. I to am a Marriott PP and Hyatt Diamond and yes the Hyatt does a superior job there, however at most Marriott properties the CL has hot eggs and bacon and that makes it nice plus no coffee from a machine!

We are using Marriott points in June and will be interesting to see what they give us. I opted to cash upgrade figuring it's worth a !00 a day to hopefully not have to worry about a good ocean front room and trust me will not accept anything less.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I have stayed at both Marriott and Hyatt (as Plat and Diamond, respectively).

Last month at the Marriott I was given a room in the ocean side tower with a great view of Waikiki Beach. Also given Breakfast for two as part of the resort fee and MaiTai drink coupons for each day for 2. Being on a corporate rate, my rate excluded the resort fee, but I opt'ed for it for the 2x daily breakfast. However the breaksfast restaurant is very crowded now and you have to wait for a seat, but it moves quickly - so max of 10 minute wait.

Previous visit to Marriott as a Plat - I was given back tower with diamond head view but very dated room and bath. And then only 25% discount on breakfast. So things at Marriott have improved.

At Hyatt 2 years ago as diamond - given back facing room (not even an angled roomed). Room itself was OK, and the lounge is great. The CL really made a big difference.

Hyatt is likely better (because of CL), but I would not rule out Marriott if the rate is less. I do like the large deck at the Marriott and the bar overlooking the beach on the 2nd floor. Hyatt pool area is very small by comparison.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by cova
I have stayed at both Marriott and Hyatt (as Plat and Diamond, respectively).

Last month at the Marriott I was given a room in the ocean side tower with a great view of Waikiki Beach. Also given Breakfast for two as part of the resort fee and MaiTai drink coupons for each day for 2. Being on a corporate rate, my rate excluded the resort fee, but I opt'ed for it for the 2x daily breakfast. However the breaksfast restaurant is very crowded now and you have to wait for a seat, but it moves quickly - so max of 10 minute wait.

Previous visit to Marriott as a Plat - I was given back tower with diamond head view but very dated room and bath. And then only 25% discount on breakfast. So things at Marriott have improved.
When did the 2x breakfast for Plats start? My wife and I went there about a year ago, and we were only given one breakfast coupon per day, the 25% food and beverage discount, and the Mai Tai drink. We doubled up on the breakfast coupons and just did Seattle's Best the rest of the mornings.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by edgewood49
We are using Marriott points in June and will be interesting to see what they give us. I opted to cash upgrade figuring it's worth a !00 a day to hopefully not have to worry about a good ocean front room and trust me will not accept anything less.
I stayed last July on points and paid $100 extra for an "ocean view" and they stuck me in a room in the back tower with a view of the HVAC unit on the adjoining building's roof. Claimed it was the "best available" room in the resort. After extended arguing with the manager, they ultimately refunded my $100 "upgrade." If I were not a litigator, and exceptionally stubborn, they would not have given me a refund.

They assess resort fee on award stays (unlike HHV). So that "free" room costs $30 per night (excluding any upgrade).

I will never stay at this property again.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
I stayed last July on points and paid $100 extra for an "ocean view" and they stuck me in a room in the back tower with a view of the HVAC unit on the adjoining building's roof. Claimed it was the "best available" room in the resort. After extended arguing with the manager, they ultimately refunded my $100 "upgrade." If I were not a litigator, and exceptionally stubborn, they would not have given me a refund.

They assess resort fee on award stays (unlike HHV). So that "free" room costs $30 per night (excluding any upgrade).

I will never stay at this property again.
you know I have had that same experience a long time ago. And if for whatever reason when we get there in June and the same experience happens as a PP I will walk out and go to the Hyatt and let Marriott Corporate know.
Old May 1, 2014, 2:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Majuki
When did the 2x breakfast for Plats start? My wife and I went there about a year ago, and we were only given one breakfast coupon per day, the 25% food and beverage discount, and the Mai Tai drink. We doubled up on the breakfast coupons and just did Seattle's Best the rest of the mornings.
Just had a stay last week at both properties (if it weren't for BRG I wouldn't return)

Yes its 1x a day for Golds- but asked if there was any way of waiving the 'mandatory resort fee' of $30 (went up from $25). Nope. I then inquired if I could have a 2nd one for my sister (staying 1 night) and this was fine. Breakfast had some limited Japanese options- plus an omelet bar with Portuguese Sausage as an option ^ but overall was meh. Juices seemed from concentrate and other hot options not too special. I think it retails for $24.95 which is crazy! Found surface parking on the Diamondhead side of the bldng. Comp Mai Tai was weak too. They have a program too now with DVD/Blu Ray rentals included for elites- kind of odd, but worked (located in Laundry for one tower)

CY was next night (better rate) but the bed sucked- kept seeming like it would fall off.

I wish the Doubletree was cheaper
Old May 1, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by beckoa
Yes its 1x a day for Golds- but asked if there was any way of waiving the 'mandatory resort fee' of $30 (went up from $25). Nope. I then inquired if I could have a 2nd one for my sister (staying 1 night) and this was fine.
I had Platinum status last year, but I still only got one breakfast coupon per night. I also asked about waiving the resort fee unsuccessfully. I didn't know that I had to ask for a second breakfast coupon too.

Marriott is making it difficult to stay at their properties in Waikiki. I felt as though elites at the full service property are given almost no extra consideration and everything is an uphill fight with the front desk staff. The Courtyard staff was friendly, but that property was converted to a Courtyard at a later date. I found the renovations to be superficial and the rooms to be dated. The benefits were no resort fee, parking included in the rate that I received, and an upgrade to one of the one bedroom suites in the back tower.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Marriott Waikiki Beach must be full full full when I'm scheduled to stay there in a couple of weeks. The going rate (lowest) is now $390 and the only thing showing to be available is a city view room. Nothing else. Nada. Zip. Zilch. I probably made a mistake by not booking at least partial ocean view when I made my reservation! As a platinum I probably won't get any upgrade if the hotel is THAT full. But then again, maybe, just maybe, they need to make space in city view rooms and will give me something a tad nicer. Fingers crossed.

Thought about just moving out to Ko Olina instead but I see that there is renovation going on at the Beach Club, plus that location just seems so remote to me anymore! I will have a car. Staying at CY Waikiki a couple of days when I first arrive HNL (before moving over to Waikoloa for a few days). CY is cheaper than Waikiki Beach Marriott, but they have put me in that "back" building in the past and I really don't like that location. Ugh. Hoping to get to stay in the main building this time. I doubt I will NOT stay at Waikiki Beach Resort as scheduled, at the end of my trip, as everything else is very pricey as well. I got a great rate at first booking so hate to spend a whole lot more $$, even if I have to look at the city instead of the beach.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
The Courtyard Waikiki recognized my Plat status and the front desk agent proactively searched for an upgrade room for me, let me know I'd get 400 MR points, and invited me to grab something from the mini-mart. The upgrade (according to the agent) "has about 100 square feet more than the standard room." If so, I would NEVER want a standard room. The upgrade I'm in is fine but it's pretty much domestic standard size - maybe even a bit smaller. Shower-only in the bathroom, it's tiny, and the idiots have the shower head at barely six feet off the ground.

But it is clean, everything works, it's quiet, and it's a whopping $119 over Thanksgiving weekend while the Marriott Waikiki wants to diss Platinums for a minimum of $246 plus resort fee on the same weekend.

About the only thing missing is a decent view, but I've been to Honolulu enough to know what the beach looks like.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The Courtyard Waikiki recognized my Plat status and the front desk agent proactively searched for an upgrade room for me, let me know I'd get 400 MR points, and invited me to grab something from the mini-mart. The upgrade (according to the agent) "has about 100 square feet more than the standard room." If so, I would NEVER want a standard room. The upgrade I'm in is fine but it's pretty much domestic standard size - maybe even a bit smaller. Shower-only in the bathroom, it's tiny, and the idiots have the shower head at barely six feet off the ground.

But it is clean, everything works, it's quiet, and it's a whopping $119 over Thanksgiving weekend while the Marriott Waikiki wants to diss Platinums for a minimum of $246 plus resort fee on the same weekend.

About the only thing missing is a decent view, but I've been to Honolulu enough to know what the beach looks like.
Id be all over a $119 rate as well.Problem is my next trip there (end of Jan), its $315 per night or $189 prepaid or 35K per night , a Cat7.End result will stay elsewhere I really liked this place but its simply not worth 35k or the $$$ they are asking for. $119 give or take is a good rate.

Its nice having 2 ABCs on either side and the bus stop right in front. It never bothered me that theres no views from the rooms or that its not across from the beach.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:43 pm

The Ko Olina timeshare property is significantly nicer than the Marriott Waikiki. It's really not even close.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
The Ko Olina timeshare property is significantly nicer than the Marriott Waikiki. It's really not even close.
But also not even close in terms of location. If one wants to be in Waikiki, then the Ko Olina isn't even an option. It is a minimum 35-40 minute drive, much more than that in traffic. And a car is a must unless you want to just stay at the resort and never leave it. So yes, it is a gorgeous resort but if the one is trying to decide between the two Waikiki properties, then presumably s/he wants to be in town.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
But also not even close in terms of location. If one wants to be in Waikiki, then the Ko Olina isn't even an option. It is a minimum 35-40 minute drive, much more than that in traffic. And a car is a must unless you want to just stay at the resort and never leave it. So yes, it is a gorgeous resort but if the one is trying to decide between the two Waikiki properties, then presumably s/he wants to be in town.
Totally true but the Waikiki properties are horrible. The f/s property is simply a tour bus stop for 2 nights in Waikiki tours from Japan and elsewhere. Plus Waikiki is sort of a dump. Drive in from Ko Olina (not at rush hour), spend a few hours, and then escape to paradise at Ko Olina.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I stay at both Waikiki properties fairly regularly for work and alternate properties depending on the rate. I've never been to the Ko Olina property so I can't compare. However, both Waikiki properties have excellent service and treat PP's very well. I'm upgraded to a nice location most every time. I think the facilities at both are fine ... not as nice as Kauia ... but fine. As for the Waikiki location, its a matter of preference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.