Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using a MR Visa certificate cat 1-5..?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott

We have booked 5 nights at the Brisbane Marriott for the end of Oct, early November. I got a really great rate in that I only had to spend 80,000 points. Excellent!

In September, I'm going to get my annual MR Visa certificate, which I believe, after the initial year, is a category 5 (unlike the 1st year which is a cat 4 maximum).

My question is what are the odds that I will be able to call up in September (as soon as it gets deposited in my MR account) and book a room to add another night to the 5 nights I already booked?

Is it based on availability (plenty of availability now)? Do they carry any weight? I know being Plat does nothing, unlike being a Diamond w/Hilton. I guess worst case scenario, I can book it, pay a couple of hundred dollars for the room if I am unable to use the certificate, but it would be nice to actually use this certificate while on vacation and save a couple hundred.

Some of those certificates are so difficult to use (everything has to line up right, the moon/stars/you name it), and others are pretty much a done deal--if they have a room--then you get to use your certificate!

I want to book a flight to Brisbane from Sydney and return, so it really does matter (although as I stated, we can always pay for a room on that final night).

Thanks....

Dawn
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Book it now as a one night award, then when you get the certificate call and have them attach the certificate.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:47 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Note that if you have the points in your account and make the reservation now, the online system will automatically pull the points and order the award. When the e-cert is deposited, you shouldn't have any trouble calling MR and asking them to change the one-night reservation to the e-cert and redepositing the points.

If you don't want the points pulled from your account, then you will need to call MR and ask them to make the reservation, but not pull the points. Just don't forget to link the e-cert to your reservation once it is deposited. Otherwise, the online system will automatically pull the points and order you the needed award about 7 days before the check-in date.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: MAR TE ... UA PS
If you let Marriott Rewards know what you are doing they should book the room placing it on hold even if you do not have the points.

I have two Cat 8 stays booked for 5 days each, and the 320K MR points were not taken out of my account. The rooms were put on "hold" so that I can later attach them to Air Hotel travel packages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.