Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott points expiration policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite, Marriott Platinum

I searched the forum but could not find much on it, but what is the points expiration policy with Marriott.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Here is the official policy from Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions:

"An account may be closed at Marriott's discretion if no points are accrued during a 24-month period. All points in the account will be forfeited at that time."

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi

My anecdote is I have had a Marriott rewards account for about 10 years. I had points for years from 2000 to 2003. I don't think I stayed at a Marriott for several years and then redeemed my points for a PointSaver award in Albany NY a couple of years ago.

The hotel upgraded me to the top floor with a preferred view.

I don't think they close accounts too frequently.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
I have been reading this board for a while and I have read in the past that people like Satori have left their account open for many years and came back and started right where they left off.

Based on their policy, Marriott has the right to close an account and you would lose your points. I just don't think they make that a priority and would rather keep the customer coming back in this situation.

I think this is an effective way to do business.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Kind of like CO and their airline miles, they have an expiration policy but don't enforce it
Old Apr 10, 2009, 5:50 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
My wife had points in her account for about 10 years without any activity and Marriott never closed the account. So as mentioned, they reserve the right to close the account, but in practice they don't seem to be doing that.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Beats the crap out of Hilton, that de-activated my account pretty much exactly at the 12 month mark.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Beats the crap out of Hilton, that de-activated my account pretty much exactly at the 12 month mark.
They are famous for that. Fortunately the no annual fee HH Amex used once a year prevents expiration.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 6:06 am

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Kind of like CO and their airline miles, they have an expiration policy but don't enforce it

I did not know that about CO. They do so many things right. I wish they were in my area so I could fly them. Delta and US Air are fine but they could be so much better.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
just past 2 years (last stay April 2007) with no stay and the points are still there along with my May e-mail statement showing my current balance...now to get my password reset and book a few nights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.