Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa (Dana Point, CA) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa (Dana Point, CA) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
When vacationing at MVC Newport Coast Villas, we usually eat in the restaurant using a Marriott dinner for 2 certificate and have had excellent food and service. The location overlooks the coast from a hillside and the resort looks very nice.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Recent stays at Laguna Cliffs

I'm considering a stay at the Laguna Cliffs Spa & Resort in the next few days. Doesn't look like there are any recent reviews here (last one was from 2011). As a resort, I suppose I don't get breakfast. Looks like they really hit you with parking and resort fees.

Does anyone have any recent experience here as a Plat or Plat Premier? Wondering about breakfast/resort fees/upgrades. Looks like a lot of mix reviews on the hotel.

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since it's a resort breakfast is probably not going to happen. Don't know about the other.

Cheers.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
The TripAdvisor page on this hotel is pretty comprehensive. I stayed here once and found that the TA page is accurate.

I would rate the hotel a 7/10. It is fine if it is near the area you want to be in.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold, WN CP, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm considering a stay at the Laguna Cliffs Spa & Resort in the next few days. Doesn't look like there are any recent reviews here (last one was from 2011). As a resort, I suppose I don't get breakfast. Looks like they really hit you with parking and resort fees.

Does anyone have any recent experience here as a Plat or Plat Premier? Wondering about breakfast/resort fees/upgrades. Looks like a lot of mix reviews on the hotel.

Thanks!
I think it is a nice hotel but nothing spectacular. Was just there two weeks ago. The pool is pretty small, which bummed me out. Yes, they do get you parking and resort fee. It has a park right nearby which is nice and the beach is very close, but still a walk down the hill.

Not sure if you are planning to use points or pay, but consider the Ritz in Laguna if that is an option for you.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Have stayed at all of the hotels/resorts mentioned in thread; would opt for Ritz Carlton
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

Thanks!
I stayed at this property not too long ago. Breakfast was not comped for platinums. They did, however, remove the resort fee and offered a complimentary basic spa service in light of me being a platinum. I'm not sure if this is typical, but I did speak with the front desk manager and she offered these things without hesitation.

It never hurts to ask
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Had a nice stay. Had a rate that included parking and buffet breakfast for an extra $40 per day. Booked a resort view and was upgraded to an ocean view. Other than the upgrade (and plat arrival gift), there was no recognition for being plat premier. Still, service was very good. Great staff. Pool is small but excellent service at the pool. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.

Of course, the Ritz Laguna for dinner was really nice. Just very pricey to stay there!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Once again had an awesome stay here. Recognized as a PP and upgraded to Ocean View Exec Suite (didn't even see them for sale so wasn't expecting anything). While the suite is a few miles from the lobby (literally the furthest possible) it was great. I found that cutting across the pool area in the south wing to get to the lobby shaved off a nice bit of time. Drinks in the bar were good though a bit overpriced for a microbrew ($8.50 with tax). Got my bill to find that the resort fee was waived too! Went back and checked my bill from when I stayed here as a Plat and they didn't waive, so either new or just for PP.

Overall a great choice if you're in Orange County and want a relaxing place to stay.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:25 am
Suspended

TRAVELZOO currently offering a rate that includes resort fee and valet parking for approximately $189 on select dates. Still, don't know how they will handle it for Plats and higher given that resort fee appears to be waived anyway for Plats.

Booking originates via Travelzoo but takes you directly to Marriott website and you receive a confirmation via Marriott. This is not a voucher purchase unlike other TZ offerings.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:48 am

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:39 pm

Had a 5 night stay here on points Sep 30 - Oct 5 (70k signup bonus x2 last year). Surprised when we got the bill resort fee was waived also. Only have silver status with Marriott.

Hotel was nice. Flight to LA landed around 11 local time. After getting the rental car we ended up at the hotel around 1 (3 hours before check-in). Wasn't a problem and they let us in the room early. Loved the location. Was able to get access to the Monarch Bay Club (right by the RC) through an acquaintance, so didn't check out the beach right there by the hotel.

Only real complaint is about the valet parking - the text messaging only worked 1/2 the time, and the "valet" button on the room phone wasn't directly to the valet - so I would call, yet when we walked to the front door they hadn't even gotten the request to get the car yet.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:16 pm

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:23 am

neverhome1 posted the following in the exec lounge sticky. It had a bit more info than needed for the sticky, so thought I'd post it here. Appreciate the input neverhome1 provided (his first post on FT!).

"Was at Laguna Cliffs Marriott, Dana Point, CA last week. They don't have a lounge, although there is a weekend hospitality suite open to all that has coffee, water & cookies so not really a Gold/Plat benefit. I'm PP & they gave a voucher for 1 appetizer worth $15, room upgrade which is same as other rooms only coast view, 10% off food & non-alcohol drinks and free access to spa facilities. We had 2 rooms and resort fee was only charged on 1. I think all Plats get this - obviously room upgrade depends....One morning at the pool they gave complimentary VOSS water to Gold/Plats - seemed to be just lucky as we didn't get it on other days."

Cheers.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:51 pm

does anyone have an email for the manager of this property? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.